Current state of Sens roster formation

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Perron is not a tough guy, he is more like Giroux than Neil & he's not very big, he is not going to fight to protect his teammates, He may crosscheck someone in the face though.
100% correct, he fought once in his career and that was against a young Bobby Ryan!

He is a rat that can chip in with points and he an be useful as such but he will not take a fight.

I hope I am wrong. Maybe he will fight to gain the respect of the sens fans. It would certainly help him but I wouldn't bet on it!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
100% correct, he fought once in his career and that was against a young Bobby Ryan!

He is a rat that can chip in with points and he an be useful as such but he will not take a fight.

I hope I am wrong. Maybe he will fight to gain the respect of the sens fans. It would certainly help him but I wouldn't bet on it!
It would surprise me, I just don't see it at his age & size.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I want Perron to come here and play his game, not try and start fights to make Sens fans happy. Him being an asshole for us is exactly what we need.

We can get another guy for fighting, though if Ostapchuk stays up he’s another guy who will drop the gloves. I agree that a bruising 4line winger would be nice, but who?

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I want Perron to come here and play his game, not try and start fights to make Sens fans happy. Him being an asshole for us is exactly what we need.

We can get another guy for fighting, though if Ostapchuk stays up he’s another guy who will drop the gloves. I agree that a bruising 4line winger would be nice, but who?

I think MacEwen takes that role if needed. May not be in every night but against tougher teams I think he will have a role here. Keep in mind MacEwen also played a few years under Travis Greene so he's familiar with him.

Perron will play his style of hockey regardless. Kleven may fight here and there. Obviously Tkachuk.

Wouldn't be the worst idea to add another guy who can play and drop the gloves but they should prioritize a D who can play on the 3rd pair.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Last year our fighting leaders were

Kastelic 7
Brady 6
MacEwan 4
Greig 2
Joseph, Imama, JBD, Sanderson and Kubalik 1 each

Reactions: Icelevel

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I hope we add a 3C and a 3rd RD we need the depth

What does your Sens C depth chart look like if you want them to bring in a 3C?

1C - Stutzle
2C - Norris or Pinto
3C - Pinto or Greig
4C - Greig or a filler

I would personally throw Norris on the wing, centered by Pinto - but I'm not sure what Green will do. Perron-Greig-Amadio would be my 3rd line, which seems good IMO.

If I could make 1 more UFA signing. I'd probably go after Nick Cousins to fill in for MacEwen on the 4th line.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Kastelic 7
Brady 6
MacEwan 4
Greig 2
For all the flack that Kastellic took, he was the guy that dropped the gloves the most for the Senators. I don’t see anybody on the current roster so far that can take up that slack except for perhaps MacEwan. MacEwan is more a 13F though, so not sure he’ll be in enough games and available for that duty all that much.

As for cap space and the talk about adding a 3C, they’ll only have about $2m to spend on either the center or a 3rd pair defender. That would leave enough to sign 2 additional players for about $800 k per player to form a 22-player roster.

Reactions: Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Kastelic 7
Brady 6
MacEwan 4
Greig 2
Exactly. No one wanted kastelic here though. They’re happy to see him leave.

No problem. Brady can do everything. ;)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There’s always a surprise in training camp, you’re probably right about Boucher but at the same time the way the Sens want to play big and fast and hard along the Board he fits all that and I don’t see a lot of depth at RW - I’m betting on his raw skill to get him into the lineup for game 1 and Travis Green growing his game

Ostapchuk to me is ready. And will move up and down the lineup this season.
Boucher will get injured in camp

it will be an easy decision

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

He is not going to change character just because he is older, just changed teams for the 7th time, and is heading into retirement at the end of this "retirement" contract. My expectation are low at his age with the wear and tear he has.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Boucher will get injured in camp

it will be an easy decision
Ostapchuk might make the team; however, I think he needs more development time in Belleville and other players with more experience will beat him out for a 4th line position (e.g., Gaudette, Crookshank) or another UFA/cheap trade acquisition/waiver wire pickup).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ostapchuk might make the team; however, I think he needs more development time in Belleville and other players with more experience will beat him out for a 4th line position (e.g., Gaudette, Crookshank) or another UFA/cheap trade acquisition/waiver wire pickup).
ya he might make the team. I think Crookshank has a better chance imo especially if he needs waivers

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
kastelic is too inconsistent.

They should find a better replacement
If they get a 3rd pair defender for around $2 m, the “better” replacement cap hit will need to be around $800 k. #208 covers logistics for the remaining cap space. Ostapchuk, a Center, has a $825k cap hit which is worth noting I suppose.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
kastelic is too inconsistent.

They should find a better replacement
Kastelic was improving but I agree he was inconsistent. But I agree with you that we need a better 4th line Center; unfortunately we don't seem to have acquired one. Yet.

Getting traded to the Bruins, he will have to perform more consistently to retain a roster position on that team.

If they get a 3rd pair defender for around $2 m, the “better” replacement cap hit will need to be around $800 k. #208 covers logistics for the remaining cap space.
We cannot afford $2M for a 3rd pair D unless we trade Hamonic or JBD to free up cap $$$ to acquire one.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

Boucher next year if he stays healthy 😂

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Kastelic 7
Brady 6
MacEwan 4
Greig 2
We definitely need more tougher players who can fight when necessary.

With Kastelic and Imama gone, we only have Tkachuk and he should not be fighting nor be our policeman.

MacEwen might be the one: I do not understand why he was not used more last season; some said he was injured and not good enough to play in the NHL. He did look OK near the end of the season for a short period of time.

Boucher next year if he stays healthy 😂
Nope.

If they get a 3rd pair defender for around $2 m, the “better” replacement cap hit will need to be around $800 k. #208 covers logistics for the remaining cap space. Ostapchuk, a Center, has a $825k cap hit which is worth noting I suppose.
#208 ?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We cannot afford $2M for a 3rd pair D unless we trade Hamonic or JBD to free up cap $$$ to acquire one.
We have $3.6 m of projected cap space remaining with 19 roster players under contract. If we have a 22-player roster, we can sign a $2 m player, and two (2) $800 k players. Yes, it's very tight but there’s a little bit of a cushion to cover injuries with 22-players (versus 21 or less players). If they shave just a little off each of those three players (e.g., just $50k), then there’s a bit more of a cushion.

Yes, post #208. And, also the more recent #219 post.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We have $3.6 m of project cap space remaining with 19 roster players under contract. If we have a 22-player roster, we can sign a $2 m player, and two (2) $800 k players. Yes, it's very tight but there’s a little bit of a cushion with 22-players. If they shave just a little off those three players (e.g., just $50k), then there’s a bit more of a cushion.

Yes doable, but that would leave very little $$$ for callups.

We could run a 20 or 21 man roster for a few months at the start of the season to create cap space though. Certainly an option until an injury occurs.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

We could run a 20 or 21 man roster for a few months at the start of the season to create cap space though. Certainly an option until an injury occurs.
Leaving the cap open to maybe grab a player with a sweetener isn't a bad option. Make up for the draft pick given up for Joseph

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

They can park MacEwan in the AHL I’d think (?) if they need to. Don’t think he’ll get claimed as he didn’t last year iirc. IF that’s needed, along with the other ideas I mentioned in previous posts, I think they can run a 22-player roster to start the season.

I guess the main point I was making is that there isn’t a lot of cap room for some of these additions people talk about. I was just trying to provide a little more precision and definition to what they can afford to add.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A
Kastelic was improving but I agree he was inconsistent. But I agree with you that we need a better 4th line Center; unfortunately we don't seem to have acquired one. Yet.

Getting traded to the Bruins, he will have to perform more consistently to retain a roster position on that team.

We will likely add a PTO to compete for 4LC with Ostapchuk.

If we a a D I imagine JBD goes the other way or he gets waived after camp. It might be another PTO.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Tkachuk - Timmy - Perron

Perron knows for the Sens to take the next step Tkachuk and Stutzle have to each have 40-40 seasons and he’s just there to make it happen. Also like the veteran presence to keep Tkachuk out of trouble with the lowlifes in the NHL

Greig - Pinto - Batherson

Classic second line that can play it anyway, score on you and play shutdown. Batherson has become a leader on this team and he’s going to be our best forward impact and clitchiness wise next season IMO

Amadio - Norris - G

Norris as a 3rd line center and the top PP unit is perfect for this team. Grit, scoring, determination and I like Norris at C. G has slowed down and don’t think he’s a top 6 on a good team.

Ostapchuk - Gaudette - Boucher

I think Boucher can skate 10 minutes a night in the NHL, hit and be an NHL player. There always a surprise, Bocyhernwil Benoit this spring.

Sandy - Jensen

Like the vibes here. Our Marc Methot moment

Chabot - Zub

Ready made chemistry, Chabot takes another step

Kleven - Yet to be signed FA

JBD isn’t the answer, let’s finish the roster building with a veteran RD

Ullmark
Forsberg

Ullmark is a leader in net and I think he’ll be an All Star and a Vezina finalist. Green will make it easy to be a goalie again in Ottawa, like the Lalime days
I have an identical top 9 slotted.

To start the year, Tkachuk - Stutzle - Perron needs to happen. Perron can be that mentor who teaches Timmy how to be sneaky dirty and create space for himself. Can help him regulate his emotions in a productive way. And Brady and Perron with their history would go through brick walls for each other out there.

Giroux as a third liner will be deadly, and I bet Amadio will be a pleasant surprise. Need Norris to get around the ice properly, though, for that line to work.

Reactions: Tuna99

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who ends up on that 4th line will be interesting, while most know who the top 9 should be regardless of who plays with who that 4th line will be interesting who Green decides to go with. I like both Ostapchuk & Halliday to make this team out of camp, but it could end up being just one of them & Halliday is a yr older. With this lineup Ottawa has players on three lines who can take a left side draw & a right side draw, winning faceoffs increases possession time.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux - Giroux is a better playmaker than Perron
Norris - Pinto - Batherson - 3 guys with 50 pt plus potential
Perron - Greig - Amadio - Perron should help mentor Greig & he'll also add scoring here
Ostapchuk - Halliday - MacEwan/Gregor - Halliday could create more scoring from the 4th line

Chabot - Zub - Zub should be able to help Chabot be better
Sandersen - Jensen - I think we want a decent mentor for Sandy
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD - Hamonic mentors Kleven & JBD

Ullmark - Forsberg - finally get a decent goalie in Ott

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad