Current rivals in the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
hey man I'm a Canucks fan but after this year when the Wild get 14 mil in cap space, that's f***ing scary man, the team is young and will grow more and Ek will be still prime age
How I wish that were true, but there will be a couple major contracts (one in particular) that will be eating most of that up. I appreciate the sentiment though. Just for that, I'll wish for your team to face us in the 1st round this year.

Reactions: Coffees

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
One rivalry that is brewing is Detroit and Ottawa. Both teams are hungry for the next step and it gets heated when they meet. There has been some bad blood spilled between them. It'll be interesting to see how things play out this season.
That division has great potential for some new rivalries. Those two teams Montreal and Buffalo are all in a similar spot trying to gut it out and take the next step. It will be a bloodbath moving forward.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
How I wish that were true, but there will be a couple major contracts (one in particular) that will be eating most of that up. I appreciate the sentiment though. Just for that, I'll wish for your team to face us in the 1st round this year.
Haha cheers man

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I feel like currently, the best rivalries are when the two teams are either both terrible, or both good. Can't have one be good, and the other terrible, it just doesn't have the same feel.

Good example was Rangers-Islanders during the dark ages of the late 90s-early 00s. Both teams were hot garbage each year, but you really felt the hatred between the two teams every time they met!

Reactions: WhataKnight

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Rivalries? The NHL ...... where.

All the real ones died out .

Bruins Habs
Habs Nords
Wings Aves
Oilers Flames
Leafs Sens
Flyers Rangers
Hawks Wings
Caps Pens
Pens Isles
Isles Rangers

all poached out long ago

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts

Bruins Habs
Habs Nords
Wings Aves
Oilers Flames
Leafs Sens
Flyers Rangers
Hawks Wings
Caps Pens
Pens Isles
Isles Rangers

all poached out long ago
Why PaulD? Why did that happen

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pretty funny seeing a couple of posts about how the oilers don’t really view the Canucks a rival.

They had an out of town thread all season long last year with multiple posters commenting on every Canucks game. It wasn’t just 1 or 2 posters either.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’ll say one I haven’t seen mentioned yet. For seeing each other only twice a season, Leafs-Jets games have been pretty nasty for about 3 years now. Canadian Division kicked it off and it’s stayed pretty mean since with lots of fights, big hits, and controversies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Why PaulD? Why did that happen
Good question.
Some guesses : Rivalries are built and strenthen from play off matches.
The once classic rivals I listed rarerly if ever meet post season any more.
Also play each other less regular season too.
Players today are more focused on individual efforts. Band of brothers mentality is not as prominent.
Less hitting?
For what ever reason doesn't look like we will ever see anything like Aves Wings danger series again.
But man oh man. Habs Nords series were a thing to be hold in April!

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffees

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Bruins Habs
Habs Nords
Wings Aves
Oilers Flames
Leafs Sens
Flyers Rangers
Hawks Wings
Caps Pens
Pens Isles
Isles Rangers

all poached out long ago when M I can see and feel it.
Sure BUT....When the Habs become good again the hate will be there again. Even now there is a little extra nastiness when Montreal is in Boston.

Every year the new guys in the Bs locker room notice it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t really feel any true rivalries for the Caps at the moment. The Caps/Pens has morphed into Grumpy Old Men and the line brawl/horrifying act of violence escapade between the Caps and Rangers seems to have died down. Don’t think the Caps and Hurricanes like each other much but not sure I’d call it a rivalry.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
As a sens fan its the habs and leafs. Sabres are probably next but that hasn't been really relevant for over 10 years. Maybe the penguins?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Last few years its been Anaheim vs San Jose in chasing that #1 overall draft pick but I wouldn't say they hate each other though.
Cali teams are kinda weird.
All super close vicinity, they should be at each others necks.

Yet I see some of them cheering for each other in the playoffs. Like when the Oilers played the Kings, who had a lot of Duck support on the forums.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sure BUT....When the Habs become good again the hate will be there again. Even now there is a little extra nastiness when Montreal is in Boston.

Every year the new guys in the Bs locker room notice it.

Hope so.
Nastiness..... I guess. Heated rivalry ? Not at all.
Bruins Panthers are closer to establishing one than Bruins Habs

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As a sens fan its the habs and leafs. Sabres are probably next but that hasn't been really relevant for over 10 years. Maybe the penguins?

Hard to maintain a real rivalry without playoff interactions.

And yet, the Habs get massive cheers and chants when they play in OTT :D

There's nothing like a good Ole chant to inspire Ottawa to score a goal. Seems to happen a lot. ;)

Reactions: Canadienna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad