Current rivals in the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
You guys as well? lol
:laugh: I blame HF and an influx of Ontarians to the west

predator-handshake.gif

Reactions: Coffees

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
There’s little animosity left. Players switch teams more often now. Everyone has the same agents and trains with each other during the offseason. It sucks.

I was watching the Unrivaled documentary about the Wings and Avs in the mid/late 90s. There was legitimate hate between those teams.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Wow you guys have Toronto up that high too eh? lmao

Well, it was a personal list, not necessarily speaking for the rest of the fan base.
And it goes back to 1967 and the story that Leafs owner blocked Vancouver getting an expansion franchise, because he didn't want to share CBC revenue.
Since then, there's usually so many Leafs fans at Canucks home games, it's almost like a Leafs home game. I just love to see that crowd go home sour.

Reactions: Coffey

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Habs : None

I expect Boston rivalry to be revived if we ever get good
You will. Kudos to all of you who still support the team.

For me (I am 71) there is still no hate greater than a Bs vs Habs game. There is just that little extra nastiness.

Actually, I hate whichever team my Bruins are playing at that moment.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You're right in saying it's not really a rivalry - but more akin to a stalker not really being in a relationship with the object of their obsession.

I never think about your team.
More akin to comedians and tv shows like the Simpsons , Family guy , South Park, Dave Chappel , George Carlin and many more , or even a good funny movie series , do you not enjoy comedy?

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Can't think of a rivalry in today's game. There's no emotion in the NHL anymore. Maybe the owners vs. the players, but the players don't care about that one either.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Can't think of a rivalry in today's game. There's no emotion in the NHL anymore. Maybe the owners vs. the players, but the players don't care about that one either.
The current division format doesn't make for real rivalries. When there were 30 teams, 3 divisions, you played 8 times against your own division. I think that inevitably led to bad blood. Even among locations that weren't necessarily geographic rivals, like Colorado/Vancouver. Last season Montreal played Toronto the exact same amount of games as they did Carolina or Columbus. So I guess somebody up there in the hierarchy of the NHL thinks that's what fans want. The season really seems to be a grind where everyone passes through, and you pick up as many points as you can, try to tie as many games as possible in regulation for points. The divisions still don't have a natural geographic rivalry because they are so expansive. Minus the Metropolitan division, which kept its 6 teams from the Patrick.

A decent rivalry in recent years is Minnesota/Winnipeg. There is some bad blood going back to Buff running roughshod. Kunin elbowing LIttle in the head. Stanley injuring Kaprizov. Some cheap shots from both sides. Two teams that probably don't like each other.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The current division format doesn't make for real rivalries. When there were 30 teams, 3 divisions, you played 8 times against your own division. I think that inevitably led to bad blood. Even among locations that weren't necessarily geographic rivals, like Colorado/Vancouver. Last season Montreal played Toronto the exact same amount of games as they did Carolina or Columbus. So I guess somebody up there in the hierarchy of the NHL thinks that's what fans want. The season really seems to be a grind where everyone passes through, and you pick up as many points as you can, try to tie as many games as possible in regulation for points. The divisions still don't have a natural geographic rivalry because they are so expansive. Minus the Metropolitan division, which kept its 6 teams from the Patrick.

A decent rivalry in recent years is Minnesota/Winnipeg. There is some bad blood going back to Buff running roughshod. Kunin elbowing LIttle in the head. Stanley injuring Kaprizov. Some cheap shots from both sides. Two teams that probably don't like each other.
i remember a few times hearing someone talking about this. i wanna say jeff marek is a fan of these teams playing one another

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
One rivalry that is brewing is Detroit and Ottawa. Both teams are hungry for the next step and it gets heated when they meet. There has been some bad blood spilled between them. It'll be interesting to see how things play out this season.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Last few years its been Anaheim vs San Jose in chasing that #1 overall draft pick but I wouldn't say they hate each other though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad