OT: Crowdstrike security down affecting Windows ops

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
GS9A_ZgXMAA1UDO

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Someone should have told ASUS, NVIDIA, INTEL, etc because they are still cranking out hardware. I know tons of people that still game on desktops and do new builds.
Lol, "LINUX" desktop is dead. There was some hype and interest in the early 2000's but no one talks about it now (or maybe that's because that was the period in life where I was the most nerdy so it caught my interest and it was always dead in reality...)

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Lol, "LINUX" desktop is dead. There was some hype and interest in the early 2000's but no one talks about it now (or maybe that's because that was the period in life where I was the most nerdy so it caught my interest and it was always dead in reality...)
Ugh, I never mentioned Linux....

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Ugh, I never mentioned Linux....
The OP that you responded to was talking Linux desktop...

Sooooo, anyone else having issues today? Blue Screen of Death on all computers, and IT is like, don't restart anything!

3 Day weekend? Please? Currently, sitting here playing on my phone

Sorry, IT bros! Good luck.
Lol, Southwestern Airlines didn't get affected by the BSOD...as they are supposedly still running on Windows 3.1 :D

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
What are you talking about? this is non-sense, I own a tech business for 10 years and i have many systems running win xp on the internet, mostly win 7 though. We're talking about 1000s of stations. I also have a background in networking. This is complete bull.

The video you posted is the most bs video i have ever seen in my life, it cuts through so many things. We have no idea what he did in the background, what sites he clicked on etc. This is just scarecrow for noobs.

I can show you other videos, with no cutted sequences or lagging framerate that demonstrates windows XP is the most clean windows you can get after a fresh install with next to no traffic.

On the other hand windows 10, 11 and for sure the following windows versions come embedded with tons of tracking software that are hooked 24/7 to websites of compagnies no one has even heard of and its not just a few... its a huge list of domains tracking you the moment you hook internet to your PC without browsing anything.

The only effective way to be protected is to have good legit ad blockers, to never click on ads and avoid sites you don't know. If you feel adventurous you can setup segmented networks within your network and configure it where traffic goes out but doesn't come in. You can easely do this with 2 routers, one main and a secondary which you setup to hide the network you serf the internet. You can also setup a windows server and manage your network's traffic this way as well while hiding your stations... there's VPNs you can setup as well..

There's so many better things you can do to be protected than buying into the crap of the corporations pushing you to update their junk.
If you don't even know about VLANs, I'm glad I'm not a client of your "tech business".

Reactions: Redux91

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
If you don't even know about VLANs, I'm glad I'm not a client of your "tech business".
What do you think is a vlan?

And what kind of answer is this?:
"Oh i am glad i am not your customer because boo boo boo..."

Sounds like someone has some serious entitlement issues.

#1 no one asked you anything
And
#2 i wouldn't even consider to sell you anything. Your emails would be ignored or we'll be too busy for you.

No one needs bad clients and those who take them are either starving or bad at their jobs.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The OP that you responded to was talking Linux desktop...

Lol, Southwestern Airlines didn't get affected by the BSOD...as they are supposedly still running on Windows 3.1 :D
No joke. My work just recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10 on computers.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
What do you think is a vlan?

And what kind of answer is this?:
"Oh i am glad i am not your customer because boo boo boo..."

Sounds like someone has some serious entitlement issues.

#1 no one asked you anything
And
#2 i wouldn't even consider to sell you anything. Your emails would be ignored or we'll be too busy for you.

No one needs bad clients and those who take them are either starving or bad at their jobs.

I mean... You said a bunch of pretty perplexing things in that single paragraph, so you can't blame him.

Claiming ad blockers are the only effective protection is ridiculous.
L3 Segmentation is a thing alright, but you need a pretty good reason to go down that route over L2. And you didn't provide any reason at all.
Using "Windows Server" to do traffic shaping,... Wait, what? why?

Reactions: MasterD

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I mean... You said a bunch of pretty perplexing things in that single paragraph, so you can't blame him.

Not sure what was perplexing, everything is from experience and it is how I run things personally.

Claiming ad blockers are the only effective protection is ridiculous.

This is what i said: The only effective way to be protected is to have good legit ad blockers, to never click on ads and avoid sites you don't know. You kind of skipped the last 2 very important steps.

L3 Segmentation is a thing alright, but you need a pretty good reason to go down that route over L2. And you didn't provide any reason at all.
Using "Windows Server" to do traffic shaping,... Wait, what? why?

I wasn't trying to give a course on Networking?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad