OT: Crowdstrike security down affecting Windows ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I am a retired IT guy. According to the local news, the Healthcare system where I spent the final 27 years of my career as manager of data and voice networking was impacted by the outage. I haven't spoken today with a longtime friend who is the manager of security infrastructure for the system. Figured he's probably not having a good day. I will get the gory details when we meet for lunch next week.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Over the past 25 years i've heard the same overreaction every single year:
-Linux will take off on the desktop market
-PC Gaming is dead

I'm still waiting :laugh:
PC gaming was not to far form "dying" before the price of computers went down and Steam democratized game publishing. And if nVidia and AMD keep overcharging for their GPU it will start going down again soon. Can't see people paying a grand for GPU not capable of running games at 1080 without using upscaler and interpolation. The whole we gonna use AI to render games to make MOAR money selling underpowered GPU for grands is disgusting greed. Hey here's a 8GB GPU struggling to run new games for a mere grand CAD. Anyway ...

Linux will never take off on the desktop market until someone come with a distribution that can play games using a compatibility layer like Proton and have a good app store (supported by devs) where you can install updated apps easily. There's also lot of cleanup to do in the desktop env everytime i touch linux there's always problems with the desktop env. A company would likely have to make their own desktop env like Android or Steam Deck.

But the ingredients are there just need a rich guy who want to make it happens. Proton is getting very very very good and it's an impressive piece of coding. Open source apps on Linux are steadily improving. The greed of companies like Adobe might eventually turn people off who knows. Not everything is bad in the linux world just need more consistency imo. It's just too much all over the place when it comes to the desktop non command line version of it.

Sorry guys to be serious but when it comes to IT i'm more fanatic than hockey.

Last edited:

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
Châteauguay
PC gaming was not to far form "dying" before the price of computers went down and Steam democratized game publishing. And if nVidia and AMD keep overcharging for their GPU it will start going down again soon. Can't see people paying a grand for GPU not capable of running games at 1080 without using upscaler and interpolation. The whole we gonna use AI to render games to make MOAR money selling underpowered GPU for grands is disgusting greed. Hey here's a 8GB GPU struggling to run new games for a mere grand CAD. Anyway ...

Linux will never take off on the desktop market until someone come with a distribution that can play games using a compatibility layer like Proton and have a good app store (supported by devs) where you can install updated apps easily. There's also lot of cleanup to do in the desktop env everytime i touch linux there's always problems with the desktop env. A company would likely have to make their own desktop env like Android or Steam Deck.

But the ingredients are there just need a rich guy who want to make it happens. Proton is getting very very very good and it's an impressive piece of coding. Open source apps on Linux are steadily improving. The greed of companies like Adobe might eventually turn people off who knows. Not everything is bad in the linux world just need more consistency imo. It's just too much all over the place when it comes to the desktop non command line version of it.

Sorry guys to be serious but when it comes to IT i'm more fanatic than hockey.

Too Long, DID read

:laugh:

I agree with the GPU bit. It's gotten f***ing ridiculous. nVidia is doing what Intel did from 2009 to 2019, but worse.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
1721430652591.png

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Sooooo, anyone else having issues today? Blue Screen of Death on all computers, and IT is like, don't restart anything!

3 Day weekend? Please? Currently, sitting here playing on my phone

Sorry, IT bros! Good luck.
All night. We had to detach the primary drives of the broken vms and attach as secondary drives to working vms. Delete the C000000291*.sys file, detach as secondary on working machine, reattach to broken machine, launch and pray. It worked, but for 132 VMs, it took awhile.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LaP and MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
All night. We had to detach the primary drives of the broken vms and attach as secondary drives to working vms. Delete the C000000291*.sys file, detach as secondary on working machine, reattach to broken machine, launch and pray. It worked, but for 132 VMs, it took awhile.

Sounds like too much work. Did you try Microsoft's solution? Restart your computer at least 15 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad