Crosby and his future with the Penguins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think Sid has any say in his linemates. The coaching staff truly believes the players they're putting with him are the best options there.

I don't buy that one bit. He could have a say if he wanted. I mostly blame the coaches for continuing to put Duper and Kunitz on his line, but I have no doubt that Sid prefers one of them on his line. If he went to MJ and said "I really don't want to Kunitz and Duper on my line", they would be off right away.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't buy that one bit. He could have a say if he wanted. I mostly blame the coaches for continuing to put Duper and Kunitz on his line, but I have no doubt that Sid prefers one of them on his line. If he went to MJ and said "I really don't want to Kunitz and Duper on my line", they would be off right away.

Right, he could probably pressure the coaches to do what he wants, but from what we know about Sid he apparently does not do that.

Point being, he either has no say on his linemates, or if he does have a say, he chooses not to pressure the coaches into making changes.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Crosby has had Kunitiz, Dupuis, Kessel, Hornqvist, Bennett, and Fehr tried with him this season. So lets not pretend that he's had the same 2 wingers all season long.
The *ONLY* thing that got him going this season was Jagr yappin at him. Maybe we need Jagr on a wing with him? ;)

Maybe prime Hossa can help pull him out of this funk, and maybe not even him. Until Crosby decides he is the best player and wants to prove it to the world everytime he steps on the ice nothing will improve his play.

Definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.

see: Crosby not shooting and not driving the net.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Crosby has had Kunitiz, Dupuis, Kessel, Hornqvist, Bennett, and Fehr tried with him this season. So lets not pretend that he's had the same 2 wingers all season long.
The *ONLY* thing that got him going this season was Jagr yappin at him. Maybe we need Jagr on a wing with him? ;)

Maybe prime Hossa can help pull him out of this funk, and maybe not even him. Until Crosby decides he is the best player and wants to prove it to the world everytime he steps on the ice nothing will improve his play.

Definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.

see: Crosby not shooting and not driving the net.

I've bolded the top 6 wingers on that list. Note that he's never had 2 of those bolded players on a line with him at once.

Of the top 2 centers, only Malkin has had 2 top 6 wingers on his line this season. Incredibly, that's the line that's thriving. Imagine that!

Malkin's linemates (+ injuries) have been a running excuse for any lacking performances for a long time, even when Neal was here. I'm not saying that wasn't a legitimate excuse for him, but the fact that it gets thrown out the window when Crosby slumps is very telling.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The coach continues to keep him on a line that doesn't work, but since they won the last game and Crosby looked good, the coach is going to keep Crosby with two of Dupuis, Kunitz and Hornqvist. Sigh.

Sid has lost his confidence, imo. You need to jack his line up with TALENT and get him going again.

It's complicated because now the Malkin line looks like it shouldn't be touched. Bennett should be given another shot, and so should Sprong.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Right, he could probably pressure the coaches to do what he wants, but from what we know about Sid he apparently does not do that.

Point being, he either has no say on his linemates, or if he does have a say, he chooses not to pressure the coaches into making changes.

All of that AND prefers to play with one of Dupuis or Kunitz.

MrWilson*

Hornqvist is fine with Sid. He goes to the net and Sid won't any more. I'd switch out Bennet and Dupuis and let that sink in a for a while. In Sids defense (which I never do) he's had people bouncing in and out of his line. Set the line and tell him and his wingers to eat, sleep, **** and drink together for a while. Tough to see where that combination wouldn't eventually produce consistent results.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I've bolded the top 6 wingers on that list. Note that he's never had 2 of those bolded players on a line with him at once.

Of the top 2 centers, only Malkin has had 2 top 6 wingers on his line this season. Incredibly, that's the line that's thriving. Imagine that!

Malkin's linemates (+ injuries) have been a running excuse for any lacking performances for a long time, even when Neal was here. I'm not saying that wasn't a legitimate excuse for him, but the fact that it gets thrown out the window when Crosby slumps is very telling.

You are kind of skirting around the point. With the wingers we have on this team we have experimented with different wingers for him. One of which is a bonafide super star winger. None of it has sparked anything.

The only thing that sparked something out of Crosby was when he got angry with Jagr and decided to actually play like he used to. Tells me anyway the problem is not the wingers, it's between his ears.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You are kind of skirting around the point. With the wingers we have on this team we have experimented with different wingers for him. One of which is a bonafide super star winger. None of it has sparked anything.

The only thing that sparked something out of Crosby was when he got angry with Jagr and decided to actually play like he used to. Tells me anyway the problem is not the wingers, it's between his ears.

You are also skirting around the point that one of Kunitz and Dupuis have always been tried. We have no way know knowing whether Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist could work. Or Plots-Crosby-Kessel. Or Perron-Crosby-Kessel, etc.

For some reason one of Dupuis and Kunitz always has to be on his left wing (with the exception of when Duper was out for a bit). I suspect Crosby has something to do with that (whether that's verbalized or not I don't know). But, it's up to the coaching staff to do whatever he can to spark his star player and they haven't done that.

canucks108

Oct 27, 2011
I wonder how many other 1st line centers in the league have had to play their entire season thus far flanked by a Pascal Dupuis or a Chris Kunitz? I'd just like to see what he is still able to do without one of them always on his line.

Not trollin but John Tavares? Atleast crosby had kessel to play with for a good while. But why not try kunitz back with crosby. They always seemed to play well together? I know he did start the season there but any chance they go back?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The number of people that come to this board suggesting Kuntiz playing with Sid make me believe Kunitz's value isn't as low as we think it is. Granted, fan's views aren't the same as a scout's view.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not trollin but John Tavares? Atleast crosby had kessel to play with for a good while. But why not try kunitz back with crosby. They always seemed to play well together? I know he did start the season there but any chance they go back?

I haven't watched the Isles this year but Okposo is a damn fine player. Isn't he playing with him?

Also, Kunitz is done as a top 6 winger. He's not good enough for Crosby anymore.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How the **** can Zombie MJ spark Sid if Crosby wants him out? Which seems to be the case considering MJ's ineptitude at coaching offensive players.

Does Crosby want him out? Regardless, it is up to the coach to give Sid the right players to get him going offensively.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
The number of people that come to this board suggesting Kuntiz playing with Sid make me believe Kunitz's value isn't as low as we think it is. Granted, fan's views aren't the same as a scout's view.

GM's have resources to ensure they're up to date on the ability of a player, anonymous fans on an internet forum don't have a need to educate their ignorance before offering opinions.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Let's turn this thread into an unhinged trade proposal thread.

To Philadelphia:
Crosby
Bennett
Scuderi
Kunitz

To Pittsburgh:
Giroux
Voracek
McDonald

If I'm JR and Hextall calls me with that offer today, I have to at least consider it, IMO TBH.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

To Philadelphia:
Crosby
Bennett
Scuderi
Kunitz

To Pittsburgh:
Giroux
Voracek
McDonald

If I'm JR and Hextall calls me with that offer today, I have to at least consider it, IMO TBH.

I'd consider pretty much any deal that gets Kunitz and Scuderi off the team with no trace of salary retained.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
You are also skirting around the point that one of Kunitz and Dupuis have always been tried. We have no way know knowing whether Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist could work. Or Plots-Crosby-Kessel. Or Perron-Crosby-Kessel, etc.

For some reason one of Dupuis and Kunitz always has to be on his left wing (with the exception of when Duper was out for a bit). I suspect Crosby has something to do with that (whether that's verbalized or not I don't know). But, it's up to the coaching staff to do whatever he can to spark his star player and they haven't done that.

perhaps we are all talking past each other :D

you are correct of course, and it could be that to get Crosby going the coach is trying to keep one of Crosby's security blankets with him. no idea there.

my point is that if you are one of the top paid players in the NHL.
you have been called the best player in the NHL most of your career.
You have demonstrated THIS SEASON that you can still play at a level that is above just about everyone in the league. But yet you are not playing that way in any of the games but that one.

That was vintage Crosby trying to split defenders, going to the high % scoring areas and shooting the puck. I do not buy that the causal factor here is that Dupuis is with him. He is simply not playing at that level. I do not believe it is a physically unable to do so anymore issue since he did it recently. So that just leaves me with he is unwilling to do so.

I can not imagine the coach telling Sid to not shoot, to make idiotic passes that lead to scoring chances for the other team and to not try and drive the net. We have Tochett talking to the media a few weeks ago were he said he wanted to see Sid driving the net more and to shoot the puck more. If one of the coaches is telling the media that, then you can be sure they are saying it to Crosby. But he is just not doing it.

Why? I believe he is fed up with something, coach, life who knows and is jrefusing to do it. Maybe he is just afraid of getting hurt again? I just don't see how that is because one of his wingers is a really good 3rd liner.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good post viking. I agree with the vast majority of it. You are certainly correct that for most of the season, Crosby hasn't looked like Crosby regardless of linemate issues. I do think he is frustrated with a number of things.

One is likely the system and how it limits him flying the zone for stretch passes that lead to rush opportunities. Another is frustration with the D and his linemates and their lack of ability to give him the puck with speed when and where he wants it. Who knows what else.

My main point is the coach should be doing whatever is in his power to get Sid going now and setting him up for the future. I don't think it serves this team well to keep one of Duper and Kunitz with him at all times. At some point, Sid needs to learn to play with other guys and I think now is the time.

I put some of the blame on Sid for being such a creature of habit. I do believe he prefers one of Duper/Kunitz with him and the coach doesn't have the balls to change it up for good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Okposo? Not to mention any combination of Strome, Nelson or Lee provides more offensive assistance than having Kunitz or Dupuis does.

My issue is -- and it's been mentioned already numerous times by others -- Crosby and Kessel was never tried without one of Dupuis or Kunitz pulling down the line on the LW. Why not try someone else other than those two before deciding Crosby and Kessel doesn't work?

Everyone's gung-ho over Kessel and Malkin, yet look what they have on their LW. Perron. Gasp ... an actual player with skill.

This coaching staff has the pieces to be successful -- at least up front. Yet it chooses not to be by handicapping itself with the insistence that non-top six players keep getting top six spots.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

To Philadelphia:
Crosby
Bennett
Scuderi
Kunitz

To Pittsburgh:
Giroux
Voracek
McDonald

I like your moxie. And the Venom avatar.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

To Philadelphia:
Crosby
Bennett
Scuderi
Kunitz

To Pittsburgh:
Giroux
Voracek
McDonald

I quit the NHL if I have to see Crosby in a Flyers jersey. They could offer the whole franchise, and I still turn it down.

FDR

Apr 27, 2015
I quit the NHL if I have to see Crosby in a Flyers jersey. They could offer the whole franchise, and I still turn it down.

If i can watch Forsberg in that hideous jersey, then i can watch anyone. Granted i hated every second of it but i loved #21.

Back on topic - what left handed option do we even have other than Duper or Kunitz that can slot on Sid's LW? Plotnikov is the only other i can think of. All those years struggling to get right handed shots and now we have the opposite problem.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If i can watch Forsberg in that hideous jersey, then i can watch anyone. Granted i hated every second of it but i loved #21.

Back on topic - what left handed option do we even have other than Duper or Kunitz that can slot on Sid's LW? Plotnikov is the only other i can think of. All those years struggling to get right handed shots and now we have the opposite problem.

Why does it have to be a lefthanded shot? There are better (read: more skilled) options, but the coaching staff simply doesn't want to try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad