Craig Berube

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hall was pretty damn good for us last year, would have liked to keep him.

As good as he was on the PK, he offered nothing at ES and our 4th line at ES has been a lot more difficult to play against this year. I think his PK production, while missed, can be replaced. Raffl was fantastic early on before his injury. Other guys need to step it up. Bellemare has been very good but Read and even Coots at times have taken a step back on the PK. Bigger issue for me is Berube trying to rotate 6 forwards through 1 PK. PK looked great against Minnesota until he makes the brilliant decision to put Umberger and VandeVelde out there together.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ehh, they've only played 6 and 8 games respectively, 5 and 1 since their injuries. They haven't been good, but I'm willing to give them to a dozen games to get their game legs back under them.

Guys with something to prove like Cola, MDZ and Schultz will usually start hot and regress back to their normal, bad selves. Although MDZ looks like he may have been a steal. Guy definitely has talent.

We are 0-5 with Coburn in the lineup this year. None of the other defensemen seem to play well with him.

I realize i'm jumping the gun on Cola, but he keeps it simple and makes smart plays. He doesn't try to do too much. I don't think he should be in the lineup over Coburn per say, but the fact remains, our defense has been **** in every game Coburn has played dating back to the beginning of preseason really. This was the year he was supposed to take his game to another level with Timonen going down. He has down the opposite.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cola is an average defenseman, a solid third pair guy, but he can't stay healthy. So you want to limit his minutes.

MDZ was a good defenseman who mentally went south, if they've turned him around (hmm, who gets credit?) they have a steal.

Shultz is a solid 7th defenseman, you can get a good couple weeks out of him, but there's a reason he was available for that role.

Then Grossmann is an 8th defensemen because Schultz is way better.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Cola, from what I've heard other fans say, is actually a good D when he's healthy. He's just rarely been healthy for a while now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
As far as the Berube fitness thing, I agree it's a silly argument in favor of him. Might be accurate to say that he has the players in good shape, might not be.

In the end though he's just terrible at everything related to in-game decisions and that's the only thing that matters to me.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Yes, Berube has been trying to jam square pegs into round holes since last year. The Vinny fiasco is about the only thing I give him a pass for though. He's tried him in a bunch of spots, and nothing has really worked better than just not having him in the lineup.

I'm not a huge Akeson fan, but it is pretty dumb that Berube hasn't tried him at all on the powerplay. That's about the ony place that Akeson could be a real asset to an NHL roster.

My biggest complaints about Berube are his bench management and how only certain players are held responsible for their level of play. Those topics have obviously been beaten to death around here.

I'll give him some credit for getting them in shape after he took over for Lavy last year. That and the fact that he generally has preached becoming a puck possession team, though he doesn't really have the players on the roster to make it work as well as he wants.

Lavy sure got the Preds in shape.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You don't typically use CF%, it's generally FF%, often 5v5 close. T-9th in 11-12, 19th in 12-13, 23rd in 13-14, 28th in 14-15 so far.

People use CF% all the time to bash players they don't like.

And I don't see why leaving out blocked shots makes Fenwick a better possession proxy stat for a team. A block means a shot was taken in the offensive zone by the other team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People use CF% all the time to bash players they don't like.

And I don't see why leaving out blocked shots makes Fenwick a better possession proxy stat for a team. A block means a shot was taken in the offensive zone by the other team.

Yeah, players they don't like. Or, just players people like or are indifferent to. For teams, Fenwick-Close is most often identified as the best predictor of future success.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Lets see how it is later on this year, team got progressively worse each year under Lavy.

Meh, first couple of years we were pretty good. After that we didn't have an elite D that could dominate play and contribute heavily offensively like Pronger or Weber. I think that Nashville roster is more appropriate for a Laviolette team then ours was after Pronger went down. We also never had Pekka Rinne and if we did then we likely would have won a Cup with Laviolette.

Besides, Nashville looks amazing so no reason to downplay it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One reason Lavy was dismissed was also because the younger players 'weren't developing,' while Gus plays in Russia, Akeson is chained in Berube's basement, and Couturier is expected to be a scorer as he's buried with defensive zone starts.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
at what point do they fire Berube... like what does it take.

do you think were stuck with him all season making him basicly untouchable this year ?

He will stay whole year. Either team stays like we are and we are in the lottery, or we right the ship and maybe win a round in playoffs. Either scenario I doubt he is here next year and Hexy hires a new HC and all new assistants

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
at what point do they fire Berube... like what does it take.

do you think were stuck with him all season making him basicly untouchable this year ?

End of the season. Hextall isn't going to do in mid season and worry about finding a replacement fast, plus Berube is really helping us get a good draft pick.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Coaches typically follow the same patterns. I'd say Berube is here the whole year short of a long losing streak (which, we're on one) or just an unbelievably embarrassing season that doesn't correct itself to some degree (which you could also probably say is happening). Gonna take some more losses or a few huge blowouts or so before it's at that point.

Hextall is also a patient man and smart man with a vision for the future it seems, so he's the wildcard there but I could see him keeping Berube the whole year even if he wants to ditch him. Snider is a different story, but we'll see.

One reason Lavy was dismissed was also because the younger players 'weren't developing,' while Gus plays in Russia, Akeson is chained in Berube's basement, and Couturier is expected to be a scorer as he's buried with defensive zone starts.

This is a really good point that isn't talked about enough actually. It's very important that we don't damage the development of players here and so far Gustafsson was just crazily treated then left for Europe, Akeson is in developmental hell right now getting a lot of time either scratched or in depth roles not suited for him (not to mention the fact that our bottom lines inherently suck), Couturier isn't being given any sort of shot at consistent offensive opportunity, Schenn gets thrown around on lines like a rag doll, and Laughton is probably ready for the big club yet hasn't seen any action until recently a losing streak prompted and he's still not getting the minutes he deserves.

So, that's all very bad. It's also extremely counter-productive and counter-intuitive to this whole "build for the future, be patient" thing we should and are supposed to have going on.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
While I do not like Berube, I think Hextall will give him longer than we want.

Some excuses why:

1-Last year the team had success while healthy and this year they have been hampered by injuries.

2-Berube has also gotten a lot more out of MDZ and Schultz than anyone expected. B.Schenn, Raffl and Voracek are also positives he could try and take credit for.

3- Ultimately Berube (and Hextall) can blame the roster they were stuck with from Homer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
While I do not like Berube, I think Hextall will give him longer than we want.

Some excuses why:

1-Last year the team had success while healthy and this year they have been hampered by injuries.

2-Berube has also gotten a lot more out of MDZ and Schultz than anyone expected. B.Schenn, Raffl and Voracek are also positives he could try and take credit for.

3- Ultimately Berube (and Hextall) can blame the roster they were stuck with from Homer.

Isn't that a credit to the players though? It's not like Berube has done anything special as far as putting them in positions to succeed. Hextall did a great job signing MDZ and Schultz for depth and they are rewarding his decision. Schenn has almost succeeded in SPITE OF Berube. Putting Raffl on the top line was a good decision by Berube but it was made after a knee-jerk reaction of taking Schenn off the top line (where is now thriving with Raffl injured) before the end of the 1st game of the season.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Didn't know where to post this! Would you guys resign Schultz and maybe let a guy like Grossmann or Schenn go. Also I am in favour of resigning del Zotto

Next year

Morin Streit
Coburn Gostisbehere
Del Zotto Schultz

?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Didn't know where to post this! Would you guys resign Schultz and maybe let a guy like Grossmann or Schenn go. Also I am in favour of resigning del Zotto

Next year

Morin Streit
Coburn Gostisbehere
Del Zotto Schultz

?

I'll take Schultz for $1 million over Grossmann at $3.5 million all day. Hell i'd take Schultz over Grossmann regardless of salary.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Isn't that a credit to the players though? It's not like Berube has done anything special as far as putting them in positions to succeed. Hextall did a great job signing MDZ and Schultz for depth and they are rewarding his decision. Schenn has almost succeeded in SPITE OF Berube. Putting Raffl on the top line was a good decision by Berube but it was made after a knee-jerk reaction of taking Schenn off the top line (where is now thriving with Raffl injured) before the end of the 1st game of the season.

He broke up the MDZ-Schenn pairing when that didn't work.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The Bebs might wanna talk to Lappy on fixing the worse PK in the NHL. That would be a start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad