Craig Berube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, it's not all bad. He's done positive things, but he also hamstrings himself and the team with headscratching decisions during games.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
He appears to have done a great job with the teams fitness and has got quite a bit out of the defense.

But his personnel decisions is where is old way of thinking is killing him. Zac getting ice time in 3rd when down goals, Gross in OT, and forcing Vinny to spots that don't work. He really needs to try him in the press box as their are guys that fill more specific roles we nee over what Vinny brings. Akeson on 2nd unit also makes sense as it is something he is good at and the 2nd unit is one of the biggest problems on the team

Yep.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Just give Giroux the full two minutes on the powerplay. He can handle it.

Berube just doesn't have any creativity. He's extremely rigid even when the status quo fails.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
PP1
Simmonds
G-Schenn-Voracek
Streit

PP2
Read
G/Akeson-Couts-Vinny
Del Zotto

Don't really want read there, but a righty works best there.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Berube seems like a good motivator and is respected but makes some really questionable personel decisions, as everyone else has already mentioned.

Every game it seems, there is a lineup decision before, during an after the game we are questioning.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I don't know what to make of Berube....I think he has some redeeming qualities as a coach but his bench management leaves a lot to be desired still...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just noticed that there is a five day break after Saturday's game against the Avs. Imagine if the Flyers lost these next three home games...

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
welp, i am officially on the ''fire berube'' bandwagon as of now

@billmeltzer Berube said he disagrees that defensive responsibilities are a big reason for Couturier line modest O.

he might as well of said he doesn't have a fully functioning brain.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
If Couturier's line is on the ice and there is an O zone draw...Berube pulls them off the ice!! How can he seriously say that not a big reason for their "modest O"? If you want him to start in the D zone that's fine but don't deny that it is at least part of a lack of Offensive production.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Berube is reaching unprecedented levels of insanity with a quote like this. I can only laugh at this point.

I mean, how can you possibly believe this? These are scary stupid comments from an NHL head coach. These are the guys running the damn show. The last few years are making me so jaded as a hockey fan. This is a league being run by guys who find 5.5m in value per year in guys like Clarkson, Bolland, Orpik, etc. By guys who don't believe starting 19.9% of a player's shifts in the D zone can stifle offensive production. Guys that find value in players like Rinaldo and Tanner Glass...

I know people like to cower by appealing to authority, but when do people realize that a frightening amount of NHL GMs and coaches have no business being in the positions they're in? I'm just becoming increasingly frustrated by the total incompetence of the guys in positions of power of a multi-billion dollar league. Not that I would do better, but I am 100% sure there are individuals MUCH better suited for these jobs than many of the guys doing them now.

But I suppose when playing NHL hockey (or pro hockey, for that matter) is a prerequisite for consideration, you cut out most of your pool of potential candidates...

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I think we are looking too much at certain players. and making both pps identical. We need to switch it up a tiny bit. Maybe a little different from the 1-3-1. I'd like to see raffl in front, MDZ and Vinny on the points with Coots and PEB on the half boards.

Reasoning:
Raffl is physical and good at positioning.
MDZ and Vinny can shoot and key on the 1 timers.
Coots is very smart with the puck and good when it comes to vision and passing
PEB has in his career been a natural scorer. No reason it wouldnt transfer to the NHL. Obviously we saw how good he is with Simmons and Schenn. He is sorta handicapped playing with Rinaldo.

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Can't wait until these people are out of the Flyers organization:

Berube
Rinaldo
Grosmann
Lecavalier

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

shatner-khan.gif

CRAAAIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think you can put Vinny on the point during a 5 on 4. The second unit is prone to stupid mistakes that can go the other way, with Vinny playing back there you're just giving youself zero chance of ever recovering.

The second unit is what it is to me at this point. The talent just really isn't there to make it really effective.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Berube is reaching unprecedented levels of insanity with a quote like this. I can only laugh at this point.

I mean, how can you possibly believe this? These are scary stupid comments from an NHL head coach. These are the guys running the damn show. The last few years are making me so jaded as a hockey fan. This is a league being run by guys who find 5.5m in value per year in guys like Clarkson, Bolland, Orpik, etc. By guys who don't believe starting 19.9% of a player's shifts in the D zone can stifle offensive production. Guys that find value in players like Rinaldo and Tanner Glass...

I know people like to cower by appealing to authority, but when do people realize that a frightening amount of NHL GMs and coaches have no business being in the positions they're in? I'm just becoming increasingly frustrated by the total incompetence of the guys in positions of power of a multi-billion dollar league. Not that I would do better, but I am 100% sure there are individuals MUCH better suited for these jobs than many of the guys doing them now.

But I suppose when playing NHL hockey (or pro hockey, for that matter) is a prerequisite for consideration, you cut out most of your pool of potential candidates...

I'm absolutely with you on this. The NHL is far, far too much of an insider's club.

I guaran-damn-tee there are European coaches that could be great on the NHL level, too.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
The exact quote from Chief earlier today in regard to that line was, "“That’s your job. Maybe it limits your chances a little bit, but I’m not sure I agree with that that much. They’re a checking line and out there playing against a very good line, but if they do things right, they’re going to get their chances offensively."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The exact quote from Chief earlier today in regard to that line was, "“That’s your job. Maybe it limits your chances a little bit, but I’m not sure I agree with that that much. They’re a checking line and out there playing against a very good line, but if they do things right, they’re going to get their chances offensively."

This is still some insanity. Thanks for clarifying, though.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Any developing young player that gets 2/3 of defensive zone starts against the other team's top line is going to put defense ahead of offense. So it obviously has a major effect. They aren't going to take any offensive risks at the expense of sacrificing defensive positioning.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

hey Bill, the next time you get a chance can you ask Hextall, to find out what Torts is doing ??

hint hint....:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad