Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This is my vision for the Leafs PP. To me, Matthews has by far the best hand-eye coordination on the team for tipping pucks, he's as good as anyone in the league there. I want him to be my net front guy. I want to get rid of Marner/Tavares and sign Stamkos. Domi is a good passer, physical, chippy, I like him as my bumper.

pp.jpg

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
This is my vision for the Leafs PP. To me, Matthews has by far the best hand-eye coordination on the team for tipping pucks, he's as good as anyone in the league there. I want him to be my net front guy. I want to get rid of Marner/Tavares and sign Stamkos. Domi is a good passer, physical, chippy, I like him as my bumper.

View attachment 883465
I'd keep Matty on the side wall as a default posture but slip him into bumper at times. Nobody in the league is more dangerous than Matty in the middle of the o-zone collecting pucks in chaos and snapping them on net - always thought that's when he's at his best.

He's good at everything and would be good at net front but you're really making things easier for the pk'ers. Only the point slot would be worse value wise, which we saw previous season for some reason and it was hard to watch.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'd keep Matty on the side wall as a default posture but slip him into bumper at times. Nobody in the league is more dangerous than Matty in the middle of the o-zone collecting pucks in chaos and snapping them on net - always thought that's when he's at his best.

He's good at everything and would be good at net front but you're really making things easier for the pk'ers. Only the point slot would be worse value wise, which we saw previous season for some reason and it was hard to watch.
You might be right. It's just something I would maybe experiment with. I haven't been satisfied with Tavares as a net front guy. I would try other people there.

Reactions: LeafEgo

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure they tried a number of different personnel on PP1 in the playoffs, especially with the injuries.

I didn't like the setup or the movements personally, but there were different bodies.
But the injuries were to Matthews and Nylander, so the 'change of personnel' due to injuries wasn't trying players other than JT, Mitch, and Mo.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

View attachment 883465

:laugh:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Domi and Bertuzzi are your answer. They both saw time on PP1. Then they also had time on PP2 with more poor results

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So the Leafs have over the last few years been notorious slow starters, how long does Berube let old habits go until he cracks the whip?

Oct 2023 - 5-3-1 11 points (8th in Conference)
Oct 2022 - 4-4-2 10 points (13th in Conference)
Oct 2021 - 4-4-1 9 points (11th in Conference)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No - PP1. Other than replacing Matthews and Nylander when they were out, who 'different' was on PP1?

I'm expecting Knies and OEL to see time on PP#1 under Berube.

OEL has a better shot and can be the PP QB Dman replacing Rielly and Knies is big and strong and fearless and can be that net front presence living in the blue paint down low.

Willy and Auston setting up on their off-wing strong shooting sides,

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm expecting Knies and OEL to see time on PP#1 under Berube.

OEL has a better shot and can be the PP QB Dman replacing Rielly and Knies is big and strong and fearless and can be that net front presence living in the blue paint down low.

Willy and Auston setting up on their off-wing strong shooting sides,
I am very curious to see the PP configurations. I would like to see the canvass wiped clean and new things tried for sure.

In general, I would like to see more focus on process and peaking for the playoffs rather than individual stats. This includes the PP but also spreading talent across three lines, giving kids a chance, etc.

As for the PP, assuming we go with 4 F and 1D, I am curious what the best deployment of these players across two units is.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Domi
Knies
Robertson
McMann
OEL
Liljegren
Rielly

How about:

Matthews
Robertson
Domi
Knies
Liljegren

...and

Marner
Nylander
Tavares
McMann
OEL

Let's them compete and battle it out. Let the young guys have a chance. Let Rielly focus on ES minutes.

Each unit has a primary account option (Matthews, Nylander), a secondary sniper (Robertson, Tavares), a playmaker (Marner, Domi), and net from guy (Knies, McMamn) and a D that can shoot (Liljegren, OEL).

..or maybe they don't mirror each other in configuration and we have two different looks we can throw at their.penality killers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am very curious to see the PP configurations. I would like to see the canvass wiped clean and new things tried for sure.

In general, I would like to see more focus on process and peaking for the playoffs rather than individual stats. This includes the PP but also spreading talent across three lines, giving kids a chance, etc.

The 1-3-1 power play formation has become the go to power play system for most high level teams. Almost every NHL team is using the 1-3-1, so there must be a reason. The reason? The 1-3-1 has the ability to spread players out inside the zone, keep a player in front of the net at all times, and place shooters in key positions so they can shoot off the pass.

Power play systems like the overload, umbrella, set pick plays, etc... can be effective until the other team knows how to play against them. The 1-3-1 formation allows teams an endless amount of options and gives teams the ability to get into other formations very quickly, adding an element of surprise and confusion to the penalty killers.

1722695361097.png

1722695720972.png

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The 1-3-1 power play formation has become the go to power play system for most high level teams. Almost every NHL team is using the 1-3-1, so there must be a reason. The reason? The 1-3-1 has the ability to spread players out inside the zone, keep a player in front of the net at all times, and place shooters in key positions so they can shoot off the pass.

Power play systems like the overload, umbrella, set pick plays, etc... can be effective until the other team knows how to play against them. The 1-3-1 formation allows teams an endless amount of options and gives teams the ability to get into other formations very quickly, adding an element of surprise and confusion to the penalty killers.

View attachment 898936

View attachment 898937
Thanks Mess, the Leafs have had one of the top PPs every year so that goes in favour of sticking with it... however, and this is a huge however, it seems awfully predictable and easy to shut down when we need it most which is in the playoffs obviously.

I do think we need to explicitly prioritize the goals over 70 goals and 100 points for the individual (more of a shot at Keefe than the players) and I think this may include struggling through some growing pains and short term struggles in favour of longer term potential.

Aren't we better if Matthews scores 55, while five other guys score 30? Again, it seems like we will be much better for it come playoff time.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Thanks Mess, the Leafs have had one of the top PPs every year so that goes in favour of sticking with it... however, and this is a huge however, it seems awfully predictable and easy to shut down when we need it most which is in the playoffs obviously.

I do think we need to explicitly prioritize the goals over 70 goals and 100 points for the individual (more of a shot at Keefe than the players) and I think this may include struggling through some growing pains and short term struggles in favour of longer term potential.

Aren't we better if Matthews scores 55, while five other guys score 30? Again, it seems like we will be much better for it come playoff time.
i don’t know who will be on it, but it can’t be worse than it’s been in the playoffs.

Even if they move the puck faster and move their feet it’ll help.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So the Leafs have over the last few years been notorious slow starters, how long does Berube let old habits go until he cracks the whip?

Oct 2023 - 5-3-1 11 points (8th in Conference)
Oct 2022 - 4-4-2 10 points (13th in Conference)
Oct 2021 - 4-4-1 9 points (11th in Conference)
New coach bump. Marner trying to prove he should be extended at any cost. Willie busting his hump to erase his embarrassing scoring collapse almost the day after signing the new deal. Woll won't have time to be injured yet and Tanev will be fresh from his rest. I think this club is likely to explode out of the gates.

The wilt, and it will come, could happen in November when the newness has worn off and people become who they have always been, and the first injuries happen. The important part to me is the charge at the end of the season. Remember going into the last quarter losing to Carolina, Boston and at the very end to to Tampa and Florida? Nothing about that looked like the momentum you want going into the playoffs. Give him healthy goalies in April and players who think the old results may have left with the old coach.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I find the power play is too static.

Once in the zone they set up in the 1-3-1. Usually it's Matthews and Nylander on their off-wing dots, Marner bumper, Tavares net front, Rielly point. The problem is they don't move around much.

They all just kinda stay in their spot.

Rielly will pass it to Matthews or Nylander for a one timer. If they can't make a play they float down the ice and then pass it back to Rielly who then sends it to the other side. They don't rotate in and out of position with as much regularity as you would like to see.

A good power play is fluid.

There should be plenty of motion to distract defenders. Try and pull a guy out of position so they can feed the open man. Just shooting one timers from the dots is tantamount to a spray'n'pray approach.

That's why they get shut down every year in the playoffs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i don’t know who will be on it, but it can’t be worse than it’s been in the playoffs.

Even if they move the puck faster and move their feet it’ll help.

I kind of like their PP process.

Gives me time to get to the fridge and get a cold one and settle back into my chair before the puck crosses the blueline.

3-4 backpasses confuses the opposition ...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I find the power play is too static.

Once in the zone they set up in the 1-3-1. Usually it's Matthews and Nylander on their off-wing dots, Marner bumper, Tavares net front, Rielly point. The problem is they don't move around much.

They all just kinda stay in their spot.

Rielly will pass it to Matthews or Nylander for a one timer. If they can't make a play they float down the ice and then pass it back to Rielly who then sends it to the other side. They don't rotate in and out of position with as much regularity as you would like to see.

A good power play is fluid.

There should be plenty of motion to distract defenders. Try and pull a guy out of position so they can feed the open man. Just shooting one timers from the dots is tantamount to a spray'n'pray approach.

That's why they get shut down every year in the playoffs.

Been saying this for years, they need more movement.

They really need to use Marner in the bumper spot. His puck skills and creativity in that middle of the ice in that position would be great. Have the PP flow through him there and create rotation around him like a wheel.

Nylander and Matthews on the half walls as better shooting threats.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Has Vegas posted coach of the year odds yet? I would imagine that Berube and Keefe will top the list.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Been saying this for years, they need more movement.

They really need to use Marner in the bumper spot. His puck skills and creativity in that middle of the ice in that position would be great. Have the PP flow through him there and create rotation around him like a wheel.

Nylander and Matthews on the half walls as better shooting threats.
The bumper doesn't touch the puck nearly enough to justify having Marner in that spot.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Probably but this scenario is assuming we have five other guys who have the ability to score 30. When you got a guy who shoots at above a 16% success rate, you get the puck on his stick as much as you can. Team before individual , always, with that said, you take the goals when you can get them

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Probably but this scenario is assuming we have five other guys who have the ability to score 30. When you got a guy who shoots at above a 16% success rate, you get the puck on his stick as much as you can. Team before individual , always, with that said, you take the goals when you can get them
When you are that concentrated in the few players it certainly becomes easier for other teams to game plan against you, no matter how good Matthews is.

Other guys that COULD score 30 goals on this roster:

- Nylander
- Marner
- Tavares
- Knies
- Robertson
- McMann

Especially if we go with three balanced scoring lines and two PP units.

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann

I am sure it doesn't happen exactly, but I think our next dice guys are capable of averaging 30 goals (maybe Nylander gets 40 and two of the others get 25)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00