Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Boucher running the PP here really felt like a case of square peg, round hole.

How? When Boucher was coaching Tampa, he ran the PP there and they had a great PP. same thing in Ottawa. Ottawa had a good PP with Boucher there.

Reactions: Buds17

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
How? When Boucher was coaching Tampa, he ran the PP there and they had a great PP. same thing in Ottawa. Ottawa had a good PP with Boucher there.
Problem is the players.
Every regular season the PP is very good at times and when we go stale the players wont allow change.
Mitch require it to run via him and we have no legit point shot. Just two muffins and teams pressure the points and cheat on Matthews

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's like when New England had their former defensive coaches running the offense....how did that work for Belichek?

I hear he is in the running for the new James Bond villain. Seems about perfect for him.
1718551514331.jpeg

Goodbye Mr. Bond. I hope you enjoyed the “fright”.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
More Max Domi (at a reasonable price) would be nice too!

At a reasonable cap hit and term. If not thanks for your serivices. Leafs gotta move on...

There's not a chance he and Burt are walking to free agency at this point

No way I want Bert a tthe cap hit he had last season on the leafs on a long term. Bert gotta take a pay cut if he wants to be a leaf and no full NTCs/NMCs. We are not running a fraekin' charity

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

the issue is personnel

besides Nylander and Matthews there is no shooting threat on the Leafs PP. It becomes very predictable and easy to defend. Tavares is really slow and his puck recoveries mimic that, Marner is a scared petulant child who won't engage in board battles and has a soft muffin for a shot. Rielly''s love affair with shin pads with no slapper is well known.

Leafs' personnel on #1 unit is a freakin' JOKE as far as I am concerned. Too predictable and too easy to defend.

the tampa and ottawa PPs were good because they had shooters on the PP who would shoot instead of making micky mouse plays

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
the issue is personnel

besides Nylander and Matthews there is no shooting threat on the Leafs PP. It becomes very predictable and easy to defend. Tavares is really slow and his puck recoveries mimic that, Marner is a scared petulant child who won't engage in board battles and has a soft muffin for a shot. Rielly''s love affair with shin pads with no slapper is well known.

Leafs' personnel on #1 unit is a freakin' JOKE as far as I am concerned. Too predictable and too easy to defend.

the tampa and ottawa PPs were good because they had shooters on the PP who would shoot instead of making micky mouse plays

Blaming it purely on the personnel isn’t correct either. I agree with what you said about needing more shooting threats, but our PP was less than like 5% for like the last two months we played this season/playoffs and it didn’t even seem like they were actually making basically any adjustments anywhere.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Problem is the players.
Every regular season the PP is very good at times and when we go stale the players wont allow change.
Mitch require it to run via him and we have no legit point shot. Just two muffins and teams pressure the points and cheat on Matthews

That bolded is nowhere close to a fact.
The fact they don’t make more meaningful changes is on the coaching staff, not the players. That said, the players need to find ways to be effective in whatever setup the coaches is preaching.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Blaming it purely on the personnel makes no sense. I agree with what you said about needing more shooting threats, but our PP was less than like 5% for like the last two months we played this season/playoffs and it didn’t even seem like they were actually making basically any adjustments anywhere.

they have no adjustments. Keefe/Boucher basically went back to having #1PP unit based on cap hits instead of on-ice execution.

Marner would continue to carry the puck and lose it offensive blue line; of make stupid ass passes which will get cleared. Matthews and Willy were defended hard so on easy way to shoot because the other 3 morons on the PP wouldn't shoot or make intelligent plays.

If you look at a long sample of the same idiots in the playoffs on the PP and how much of a failure they have been as a special teams unit against -> CBJ, Habs, Bolts x2, Panthers, Bruins (this year); I think there is enough evidence to suggest that it is more personnel than PP systems.

I don't think there is a coach out there who will fix Leafs PP with the same personnel on the #1 unit

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
they have no adjustments. Keefe/Boucher basically went back to having #1PP unit based on cap hits instead of on-ice execution.

Marner would continue to carry the puck and lose it offensive blue line; of make stupid ass passes which will get cleared. Matthews and Willy were defended hard so on easy way to shoot because the other 3 morons on the PP wouldn't shoot or make intelligent plays.

If you look at a long sample of the same idiots in the playoffs on the PP and how much of a failure they have been as a special teams unit against -> CBJ, Habs, Bolts x2, Panthers, Bruins (this year); I think there is enough evidence to suggest that it is more personnel than PP systems.

I don't think there is a coach out there who will fix Leafs PP with the same personnel on the #1 unit

It’s very clearly on both coaching and personnel. There are always adjustments that can be made. If the argument is that this coaching staff wasn’t capable of finding them, then they were as I’ve said a problem. They kept trotting our the same configurations and same strategies and hoping the issues would go away. That’s doing no one any favours. They didn’t even seem to be trying to fix it

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It’s very clearly on both coaching and personnel. There are always adjustments that can be made. If the argument is that this coaching staff wasn’t capable of singing them, then they were as I’ve said a problem.

coaching staff has been a problem because they continue to bendover for the whims of the likes of marner and co.

Leafs PP was doing really well without tavares, marner and rielly for instance when they ran... (Rielly was suspended, Marner was injured, and tavares was relegated to PP#2)

Domi-Matthews-Willy-Bert (screen/net front)-Liljegren

and then they broke it off when personnel came back. just goes on to show it is the personnel first and foremost and then coaching IMO

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I liked Matthews more on the PP when he was younger, played the left wing boards and had that toe drag shot, but I don't think he has that anymore. His wrists gave out and he had to stop. I still think he can be used more effectively than his stationary position along the right wing boards. Ship out Marner and bring in Stamkos with the $$$ to give us a blistering 1 timer from his office along the left wing boards.

Reactions: PromisedLand

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
coaching staff has been a problem because they continue to bendover for the whims of the likes of marner and co.

Leafs PP was doing really well without tavares, marner and rielly for instance when they ran... (Rielly was suspended, Marner was injured, and tavares was relegated to PP#2)

and then they broke it off when personnel came back. just goes on to show it is the personnel first and foremost and then coaching IMO

Boggles my mind why they wouldn't at least try to use Marner in the bumper position. Nylander and Matthews' on the half walls have great shots and one-timers. Middle of the ice allows the puck to flow through Marner, giving him more space to make the little plays he's good at.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
the issue is personnel

Add on top of those points that the PP routinely gets out worked when they have the man advantage. They say your PP has to work harder than the PK....I never saw that. I saw a team that expected the other team to just lay down for 2min because it was the Leafs turn to score.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It’s very clearly on both coaching and personnel. There are always adjustments that can be made. If the argument is that this coaching staff wasn’t capable of finding them, then they were as I’ve said a problem. They kept trotting our the same configurations and same strategies and hoping the issues would go away. That’s doing no one any favours. They didn’t even seem to be trying to fix it
I honestly think they didn't know how to fix it. They didn't really try anything differently and a few years ago going into the playoffs the same thing happened and all we heard from Keefe is the chances were there but the puck "didn't drop for us". Maybe using basketball terms for hockey was a sign that they had no clue what to do....

Reactions: LeafEgo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Boggles my mind why they wouldn't at least try to use Marner in the bumper position. Nylander and Matthews' on the half walls have great shots and one-timers. Middle of the ice allows the puck to flow through Marner, giving him more space to make the little plays he's good at.

ummm... easy to answer IMO. Marner didn't want to play bumper because that means taking a beating in front of the net and if there is one thing marner is really good at it is weaseling out of anything that means "physical hockey"

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

By far our best Powerplay configuration. Bertuzzi is better at the net front than John, Domi’s passing is just as capable as Mitch’s, and Liljegren has a better shot than Rielly (not that that’s a high bar).

Keefe of course was way too deferential to this teams highest paid guys. For all the talk of “de-emphasizing” the core four Treliving gave Keefe didn’t seem to get the memo. f***ing infuriating watching the same shit powerplay fail to enter the zone, watching Tavares handle the puck like a grenade, and Mitch making terrible passes.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm pretty sure they tried a number of different personnel on PP1 in the playoffs, especially with the injuries.

I didn't like the setup or the movements personally, but there were different bodies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
ummm... easy to answer IMO. Marner didn't want to play bumper because that means taking a beating in front of the net and if there is one thing marner is really good at it is weaseling out of anything that means "physical hockey"

Sorry but this simply isn’t true. Completely speculative. There is a ZERO percent chance you know that information for certain.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Sorry but this simply isn’t true. Completely speculative. There is a ZERO percent chance you know that information for certain.

here is an article from 2021; read it and tell me if marner has changed his shit habits

here is marner video it is pretty obvious at least to me that he forced the coaching staff hand eventhough he is calling it a lie

here is an article that says marner was on bumper as a "try"

and guess how long it lasted?
1718569544013.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
here is an article from 2021; read it and tell me if marner has changed his shit habits

here is marner video it is pretty obvious at least to me that he forced the coaching staff hand eventhough he is calling it a lie

here is an article that says marner was on bumper as a "try"

and guess how long it lasted?
View attachment 883449

Did you even read the article you attached?

He’s got a creative mind,” Marner said. “I think he’s willing to try new things and so is our whole power play. We’ll see what happens from there.”

- direct quote from the article you posted. The guys were more than willing to try it and do what was asked of them. There is nothing in what you shared that definitively proves your point of view that Marner was unwilling to try a different position on the PP.

As I stated before, zero proof, a ton of hearsay and 100% speculative

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
At a reasonable cap hit and term. If not thanks for your serivices. Leafs gotta move on...

No way I want Bert a tthe cap hit he had last season on the leafs on a long term. Bert gotta take a pay cut if he wants to be a leaf and no full NTCs/NMCs. We are not running a fraekin' charity
agree........

Reactions: socko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad