Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Chayka always talks about a trade benefitting both teams. If he tried to rip anyone off he wouldnt have many trade partners.

I think this will be a fair trade ( if it happens ) and I think both teams will be a little upset at how much and little it cost from both sides.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Leafs would be interested in Trouba to pair with Rielly on the top line, but can't imagine they would be willing to sign him for any more than Rielly did.

buttman*

Why would many teams be interested in the most overrated player in the league?

Over-rated here on HF. In the real world he Johnny Hockey doesn't even enter the conversation. Comprerer?

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I haven't been following this at all so could someone bring me up to speed on Trouba's contact demands. Is he looking for a Reilly type long term deal? Are the Jets not willing to commit to that kind of contract yet?

Based on current playing ability and future potential, trouba will likely be looking at a couple million less per season than Rielly is getting. There's no way he gets the same or more

So I don't know what the jets are waiting for. Offer him his 5 or 6 years at ~3 or 3.5 and get it signed. Simple

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But every GM didn't.

I wish the Leafs took on those contracts this year.

They have done it before they did it with Laich to get Connor Carrick and a 2nd, they did it with Lupul to get Gardiner, Lombardi to get Franson.

They do it more than anyone

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
We have seen this road.. doesn't end well.

The Jets hold all the cards. If they let him go without getting fair value they are fools. Let him sit out.

So you have a Kurt Overhardt client that is not wanting to sign. While not being said outright, looks like for whatever reason, he wants out.

Your comparables are:
Kyle Turris
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Johansen

WPG may appear to have all the cards but.. did not work out that way with other teams. Don't think WPG will get anything near their wishlist and the longer this goes the more the pressure turns from the player to the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So you have a Kurt Overhardt client that is not wanting to sign. While not being said outright, looks like for whatever reason, he wants out.

Your comparables are:
Kyle Turris
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Johansen

WPG may appear to have all the cards but.. did not work out that way with other teams. Don't think WPG will get anything near their wishlist and the longer this goes the more the pressure turns from the player to the team.

As long as there are two or more teams keen on acquiring Trouba the Jets will get a very good return in a trade. Chevy would shop around and select the best offer on the table from competing teams. This won't be a bilateral trade negotiation, if it ever transpires.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Based on current playing ability and future potential, trouba will likely be looking at a couple million less per season than Rielly is getting. There's no way he gets the same or more

So I don't know what the jets are waiting for. Offer him his 5 or 6 years at ~3 or 3.5 and get it signed. Simple

Sure. Offer him what the Leafs are paying Jared Cowan and Stephane Robidas. That makes a lot of sense. :laugh:

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
As long as there are two or more teams keen on acquiring Trouba the Jets will get a very good return in a trade. Chevy would shop around and select the best offer on the table from competing teams. This won't be a bilateral trade negotiation, if it ever transpires.

I think this is why it seems to get worse over time. As teams drop out of negotiations and the season goes on the list of offers tends to dry up. Then the trading team gets backed into a corner and is forced to make a deal. Also depends on how the team does without him and how well the potential trading partners do. If he holds out and the Jets get off to a bad start the dynamic changes quickly. If they do well without him.. and their potential trading partners don't, they may hit the jackpot.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I dunno man, look at what Larsson got.

It's not so much what Larsson got, but more so what Hall got.
The Oilers wanted a #1 Dman or an established Dman with #1 potential. That crop is very small, and Larsson happened to be the only one available (after Jones got traded).

In this case, Trouba is Hall.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Trouba is way over rated by Jet fans, for me it would depend on his asking price

How would an Oilers fan know what a good defenseman looks like? You haven't had one since Pronger. Also, you've said Trouba has regressed each season, once again proving you don't actually watch the player and are merely basing your entire argument on points. He's improved every year defensively and his offensive production has stagnated due to how he's used along with the acquisition of Myers and the change of Byfuglien moving to defense from forward. Both those players get the lions share of offensive opportunities while Trouba's been saddled with a cement pylon. Moving forward our head coach has mentioned he wants to play Trouba on the left side with Byfuglien, a pairing that worked quite well together last season while Stuart was injured but was inevitably split up because Ben Chiarot and Mark Stuart as a pairing were a tier beyond god awful.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why would many teams be interested in the most overrated player in the league?

Not sure about the most overrated player, but his point total does not show progression and for a player, as they say, "with hugh potential" I don't see why so much interest. I know points is only one aspect of the total package, but I just don't get the interest either.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Where has it ever been reported that he doesn't want to sign? The player stated he'd like to play here at the exit interviews, Lawless earlier reported the two-sides were working on a long-term deal, and Chevy stated yesterday that he doesn't comment upon ongoing contractual negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad