Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
not to be a Debbie Downer, but we will start strong in Oct , the PP is amazing, then in late nov we come back down to earth with our goaltending and porous blueline. By Dec we are talking about who we draft in the top 5 and with the Florida/Calgary pick.

Will be an exciting year regardless, you will all owe me an apology when Anderson puts in 20 goals!
I agree with you on starting strong and Anderson scoring 20. The rest not so much. I think we’ll get some youngsters from laval to come up mid season and keep up the energy from the strong start

Reactions: Habs

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
not to be a Debbie Downer, but we will start strong in Oct , the PP is amazing, then in late nov we come back down to earth with our goaltending and porous blueline. By Dec we are talking about who we draft in the top 5 and with the Florida/Calgary pick.

Will be an exciting year regardless, you will all owe me an apology when Anderson puts in 20 goals!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
6 preseason games. I think we saw this last year too, but they have shaved some games off their preseason schedule.

However, no surprise that the majority are at home. Exhibition game gate revenues are shared by both the home and road teams, and I presume the Habs do better than most from that standpoint.

Also, I remember when the nhl season would start in the first week of October. Why are they still insistent to start later? When the season ends in late June, I think even shifting the schedule back 1 week would be welcome.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I snacked all summer for this moment.

-Monty

1000008244.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
6 preseason games. I think we saw this last year too, but they have shaved some games off their preseason schedule.

However, no surprise that the majority are at home. Exhibition game gate revenues are shared by both the home and road teams, and I presume the Habs do better than most from that standpoint.

Also, I remember when the nhl season would start in the first week of October. Why are they still insistent to start later? When the season ends in late June, I think even shifting the schedule back 1 week would be welcome.
Two weeks given the usual finishing date of the SCF.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

i called anderson for 62 goals earlier... this coming season.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This training camp should be very interesting

So many top issues:
- Dach's health and how he return, will he take a step back or continue from where he was
- Hutson, is he the one of just another one ...did he grew up this summer, got bigger
- Laine's health and also, if there's still that 30-40 goals in him
- Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron should put up a strong fight on the right side of defense
- Will Slafkovsky continue his great progression
- Guys like Heineman and Farrell, they need to make an impression. Getting older.
- Roy and Newhook are probably in the fight to get a top 6 role.

Can't wait for all of it to start.....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This training camp should be very interesting

So many top issues:
- Dach's health and how he return, will he take a step back or continue from where he was
- Hutson, is he the one of just another one ...did he grew up this summer, got bigger
- Laine's health and also, if there's still that 30-40 goals in him
- Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron should put up a strong fight on the right side of defense
- Will Slafkovsky continue his great progression
- Guys like Heineman and Farrell, they need to make an impression. Getting older.
- Roy and Newhook are probably in the fight to get a top 6 role.

Can't wait for all of it to start.....
Many stories to follow this year. Everybody wants to get going

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Forwards who will make the team (whether deserving or not):
Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Laine, Newhook, Anderson, Gallagher, Evans, Armia, Dvorak
Forward who should make the team: Roy
Forwards who might make the team (in order of likelihood):
Kapanen, Beck, Heineman, ABB, Simoneau, Farrell

Defensemen who will make the team: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj
Defensemen who should make the team: Hutson, Struble
Defensemen who might make the team (in order of likelihood):
Mailloux, Reinbacher

Goalies: Montembeault, Primeau

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Yeah they shaved two games. I hope we have a more focused camp than the previous last two.
There are not too many prospects who have real aspirations of breaking camp in the NHL.
For God Sakes Marty play your NHL guys together and build some chemistry from the outset.
There is plenty of experimentation to be done with Hutson Dach and Laine mixing in.
The chemistry is just as important for Laval if we expect them to start winning.
I have a list of 7 players who should get tryouts with NHL line mates and maybe one or two more if they shine.
Reinbacher Mailloux Hutson Engstrom Beck Heineman Kapanen.
These are probably the guys most NHL ready anyone else is a waste of time IMO.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah must anticipation for me this year, more than usual.

Will the 1st line pick up where us left off and will Caulfield improve his scoring touch a bit ?

The 2nd line just wow. Can Newhook improve on his breaking out season and a full year of Dach ? Oh yes, and Laine.

Bottom. 6 will have lots of change by TDL. Army, Dvorak and will be gone most likely. If Anderson gets his game back, which I think is very possible, he will be moved. Last chance for RNH. So Roy for sure will get plenty of ice time and we will see guys like Beck, Farrell and Heineman up. A cameo for Florian almost 100 %.

On the D forget about it. Excitement galore. Hoping for continued progress for Guhle, Xhekaj and Struble while Barron needs to have a big jump in his play. And while I know it takes D several years to develop their game Mailloux and especially Hutson showed well last year and let's face it, offensively gifted types can show it right away, and I'm greedy and hoping for that. And Reinbacher. Maybe a surprise from other guys like Engstrom.

At goal Monty can be brilliant and Primeau can be quite good. It's all about consistency, which Monty was showing more of and Primeau needs much more of.

Much anticipation on my end. Big tell on where we are in the rebuild coming up.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Forwards who will make the team (whether deserving or not):
Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Laine, Newhook, Anderson, Gallagher, Evans, Armia, Dvorak
Forward who should make the team: Roy
Forwards who might make the team (in order of likelihood):
Kapanen, Beck, Heineman, ABB, Simoneau, Farrell

Defensemen who will make the team: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj
Defensemen who should make the team: Hutson, Struble
Defensemen who might make the team (in order of likelihood):
Mailloux, Reinbacher

Goalies: Montembeault, Primeau
It all depends on your timing reference. If you are referencing the start of the season I think your roster prediction is almost spot on. I would suggest that we may be looking at a much different roster after the trade deadline.

The rapid progression/overhaul of the this team will be stark as younger players emerge, diminishing veterans are moved, expected prospects flail and the inevitable injuries occur. These are changing times and several familiar names that we have watched over the recent years will soon be afterthoughts.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah must anticipation for me this year, more than usual.

Will the 1st line pick up where us left off and will Caulfield improve his scoring touch a bit ?

The 2nd line just wow. Can Newhook improve on his breaking out season and a full year of Dach ? Oh yes, and Laine.

Bottom. 6 will have lots of change by TDL. Army, Dvorak and will be gone most likely. If Anderson gets his game back, which I think is very possible, he will be moved. Last chance for RNH. So Roy for sure will get plenty of ice time and we will see guys like Beck, Farrell and Heineman up. A cameo for Florian almost 100 %.

On the D forget about it. Excitement galore. Hoping for continued progress for Guhle, Xhekaj and Struble while Barron needs to have a big jump in his play. And while I know it takes D several years to develop their game Mailloux and especially Hutson showed well last year and let's face it, offensively gifted types can show it right away, and I'm greedy and hoping for that. And Reinbacher. Maybe a surprise from other guys like Engstrom.

At goal Monty can be brilliant and Primeau can be quite good. It's all about consistency, which Monty was showing more of and Primeau needs much more of.

Much anticipation on my end. Big tell on where we are in the rebuild coming up.
RHP will likely start back in Laval on a reconditioning stint when he's ready.
He will almost certainly be behind a number of kids better suited for the role we asked of him.
I'm afraid he's done as a Montreal Canadien and if he's not we are in trouble with our role players.
Not to mention ABB is probably a guy who has bumped him at the outset.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I can't wait for everyone to be shocked by this team. People are predicting a bottom 5 finish. I laugh at that. Dach + Laine immediately elevate everyone around them.

While our attention is rightfully on Laine, Slaf and Demidov, we are all sleeping on Dach and Caufield.

Do we forget Caufield's goal scoring pace from a couple of years ago so easily? 40+? Do we forget that we were discussing Dach vs Suzuki in January 2023?

Newhook and Roy fighting it out for a top 6 role.

Suzuki anchoring this team with his steady presence. Everyone else in the top 6 fighting for superstardom.

I know we all hate on Gally and Anderson. Rightfully so, given their cap hit. But, these two in our bottom 6 is actually great depth. Dvorak. Injury prone, but an excellent 3rd line centre IMO. They are all overpaid....but quality at their position.

Move to our defence. Two vets in Matheson and Savard + about 7 young guys fighting for their role on this team (Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Barron, Mailloux, Struble, Reinbacher). It is a recipe for an ultra competitive camp and a season where guys fight for their spot in the pecking order. It is beautiful.

I'm predicting playoffs.

Let the chirping begin!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very excited for this season. I do think we will be in the playoff bubble mix that don't make it but there is a part of me that wonders if this team can sneak in. Would require a hot start at a min. Regardless of where we finish, it has to show potential and momentum up the standings. Do we move up slowly like the Sens/Sabres or pass them. All unanswered questions that we have to let play out.

Young core lead by our Captain Suzuki who is still growing/maturing IMO. Vets like Savard, Matheson, Gallagher, Dvorak, Anderson, Armia. This to me is not a negative.... regardless of how much you like/dislike any dead weight.

Wild cards are Dach, Laine, Slaf. Three critical pieces we need to play full seasons and also produce. I would also say Newhook is a wild card because we need a full season from him and production as well.

Youth trying to earn full time spots like Hutson, Roy, Xhekaj, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Beck, Kapanen, Barron, Engstrom. Whoever, doesn't make the roster and plays AHL, I wonder what kind of momentum Laval can make as well. Depth should be better this season.

Can Monty keep on his good progression track. Can Primeau solidify himself as a very good back-up with starter potential.

I believe this roster scores more but not sure we prevent less goals vs last year. I know this will be a focus with the coaches.

What does our futures do outside of Montreal/Laval. Demidov, Hage, Fowler, Koivu, Sawyer.

I can't wait for everyone to be shocked by this team. People are predicting a bottom 5 finish. I laugh at that. Dach + Laine immediately elevate everyone around them.

While our attention is rightfully on Laine, Slaf and Demidov, we are all sleeping on Dach and Caufield.

Do we forget Caufield's goal scoring pace from a couple of years ago so easily? 40+? Do we forget that we were discussing Dach vs Suzuki in January 2023?

Suzuki anchoring this team with his steady presence. Everyone else in the top 6 fighting for superstardom.

I know we all hate on Gally and Anderson. Rightfully so, given their cap hit. But, these two in our bottom 6 is actually great depth. Dvorak. Injury prone, but an excellent 3rd line centre IMO. They are all overpaid....but quality at their position.

Move to our defence. Two vets in Matheson and Savard + about 7 young guys fighting for their role on this team (Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Barron, Mailloux, Struble, Reinbacher). It is a recipe for an ultra competitive camp and a season where guys fight for their spot in the pecking order. It is beautiful.

I'm predicting playoffs.

Let the chirping begin!

Lots of fans (both Habs and non Habs fans) are too afraid to talk playoffs. Conservative predictions would be bottom 10-15 range but it's not 0% we make the playoffs. There is a small chance... maybe something like 25% chance or something like that.

I think we score more but not sure if we prevent less goals vs last year. Team D will be the most important part IMO.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I'm predicting playoffs.

Let the chirping begin!
Love the optimism! Whatever the results, I'm looking forward to cheering for wins. There's no joy in watching games if all you're doing is calculating draft odds. F*** that - Go Habs Go!

Lots of fans (both Habs and non Habs fans) are too afraid to talk playoffs. Conservative predictions would be bottom 10-15 range but it's not 0% we make the playoffs. There is a small chance... maybe something like 25% chance or something like that.

I think we score more but not sure if we prevent less goals vs last year. Team D will be the most important part IMO.
This season's variability is crazy! My sober prediction is finishing two spots out of the Wild Card, but I wouldn't be shocked to swing as low as 12th or 13th in the EC, or jump into a WC spot. So much untapped potential on this team!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Love the optimism! Whatever the results, I'm looking forward to cheering for wins. There's no joy in watching games if all you're doing is calculating draft odds. F*** that - Go Habs Go!

This season's variability is crazy! My sober prediction is finishing two spots out of the Wild Card, but I wouldn't be shocked to swing as low as 12th or 13th in the EC, or jump into a WC spot. So much untapped potential on this team!

Yup, If I had to bet, I'd say we end up with a pick from 10-15 (pre lottery). That would be my safe bet.

I do think there is an outside chance our roster has chemistry and lots of energy and might sneak in. Just won't bet on it. haha

Reactions: ChikN and Lshap

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm predicting playoffs.

Let the chirping begin!
LOL Chirping can be found in the playoff poll thread.
This is the chomping at the bit thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad