Another upcoming season for Jagr in Kladno. Said lost 10 kg.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't want to take anything away from Jagr, and it is a different era, but the fact Jagr playing pro hockey at his age is so incredible makes the feat of Gordie Howe playing in the NHL at the same age mind blowing.

The most impressive part of Gordie Howe's return to the National Hockey League is that he didn't miss a game for Hartford.

Howe played all 80-games and then three more in the playoffs.

Howe had two teammates he named, (sons Mark and Marty) a teammate, 21-year old Gordie Roberts, who was named after him!

Reactions: HockeyVirus

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
My dad retired at 57 in the 90's.

He doesn't know how the internet works, can't search for things, and still uses paper for bills and banking. He doesn't know how to use the iPad I bought him (outside of clicking the links I made into icons). He can't type.

In the last 25 years he lost the ability to communicate in english. I have to make all calls to government agencies for him, i have to buy his tickets for him, make his appointments for him, and I live on the other side of the country.

His brain barely works. Has the memory of a goldfish and has been brutally depessed for the last 20 like he has no meaning.

I don't think a 35 year old should retire. Your life needs to have meaning or it will get boring and purposeless really quickly.

My dad's at the age where most of his friend and family are dead. There is nobody who can relate to him, or he relates to.
Tough times.

My parents are in their late 70s. minds are sharp, but bodies failing. Dad retired in 1998 at 52. Did some part-time consulting for a number of years. Maintained connections with colleagues throughout. Mine are both at least relatively tech savvy, which helps.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Get him the puck in the slot or in the corner. He obviously has lost speed, but not hands or that ass. So happy to see him keep on playing.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
sorry to hear about your dad. However, I feel like the corollary to your story is my dad, who worked into his mid-60s until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and was forced to retire. If he could've retired a decade earlier, perhaps he would have enjoyed the remaining time in a more fulfilling way than being stapled to a desk for 40 hours a week.

Yeah, I think it's clear that having meaning/purpose/structure in your life is important and that not having that can be detrimental to your well-being and even your health. Some people get that from their work, but it's not the only way.

I know people who have retired that didn't have any hobbies or passions, they seemed worse off for having retired, they had defined themselves by their jobs and little else. I think the important thing is to have interests and goals outside of work, if you retire and suddenly have to figure out who you are and what you want to do with your time it's going to be difficult, especially when you're 60+.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad