Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 2 days)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 145 60.7%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 15.1%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Maybe, but Primeau needs waivers, while Dobes doesn't. Dobes can go play starter in the A, while Primeau warms the bench behind Monty in Montreal.
Eventually Primo has to get in. Montanbo (who I am far from sure about) can't play all 82 games. They way he looked in pre-season leaves Habs very little chance to win. UNles they score like 6+ goals per game.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Eventually Primo has to get in. Montanbo (who I am far from sure about) can't play all 82 games. They way he looked in pre-season leaves Habs very little chance to win. UNles they score like 6+ goals per game.

We'll see how he does during the season. I was not enthused at all by Primeau's play in the preseason, but it means exactly nothing as compared to the regular season.

As an example of the relative futility of the preseason to gauge player performance during the season, I remember when 20+ years ago (admittedly on a somewhat weak Preds' team) Tomas Vokoun looked absolutely horrible in camp, letting in multiple weak goals each time he was in net, only to play something like 70 games in the regular season and contend for the Vezina that year.

So yeah, we can never really know.

And while it's clear Primeau isn't nearly the same caliber of goalie as Vokoun was, I still liked how he looked and competed last year after we traded Allen, so who knows, maybe he settles down and has a good season?

Also, I'm not really expecting us to do much this year so even if Primeau falters a bit out there I still think it's better to let Jakub Dobes cook in the AHL given how much progression he showed there last year rather than having him play NHL backup and seeing less ice than he would in Laval.

Aside from that, first game of our season is in officially less than 2 days, hope it's a good one. Win or lose I'll get absolutely shredded after the game with buddies I don't see nearly often enough anymore. Sucks to be old.

Oh, and cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
This season is crucial in our quest to return to relevance. Are we a team that will transcend our contemporaries? The Sabres, Wings, Sens, and others? Let's f***ing go boys!
Wings almost made the playoff last year, that they couldn't beat the Habs in regulation in the last two games of the season is why it didn't happen.
Sabres are already 0-2...
Sens, they have been yoyoing between 7-12 since 2020-2021, they are putting all their hopes into their new goalie and coach. But I don't think their new coach is an upgrade.

Those teams are all just mediocre together (this include the Habs).

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Weirdly enough, we all act like we had an abysmal preseason but in reality we had the best 5v5 differential in the league and like 2/3rds of scoring chances.

A player like Mailloux who we’re disappointed about is 5-0 5v5 on-ice GF/GA with 4.4 - 1.8 expected. Metrics said he did good.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Weirdly enough, we all act like we had an abysmal preseason but in reality we had the best 5v5 differential in the league and like 2/3rds of scoring chances.

A player like Mailloux who we’re disappointed about is 5-0 5v5 on-ice GF/GA with 4.4 - 1.8 expected. Metrics said he did good.

Yes, Habs dominated puck possession. They did too last year. They were the best 5v5 team until November. But you can't win shit if your PK is a sieve and you are one of the most punished team in the league.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's probably ESPN that is to blame. I doubt the Canadian broadcasters have much of a say.
Not in our market they don't. TSN/RDS would definitely have enough clout to start on Tuesday if that is what they wanted.
The venue is empty the Leafs and Habs are twiddling their thumbs and starting on a B2B is just stupid.
The Habs themselves have some say about the schedule too. I know I would question it.
If Sportnet and TVA don't have more clout than ESPN in the absolute heart of the Canadian Market they seriously overpaid for that deal.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Not in our market they don't. TSN/RDS would definitely have enough clout to start on Tuesday if that is what they wanted.
The venue is empty the Leafs and Habs are twiddling their thumbs and starting on a B2B is just stupid.
The Habs themselves have some say about the schedule too. I know I would question it.
If Sportnet and TVA don't have more clout than ESPN in the absolute heart of the Canadian Market they seriously overpaid for that deal.
Well someone asked to spread the season openers. There is only 3 games tomorrow. 5 on Wednesday (including 6 Canadians teams facing each others). Somes teams aren't starting their season until Friday, which is stupid.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Analytics at it's very best.

These analytics tell us how many times his goaltender and D partner bailed his ass out of trouble right?

As far as that expected stuff goes I wasn't expecting too many GF stemming from his play.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We are going to get absolutely smacked around on Wednesday, hang with them at 5 on 5 , go 0/4 on the pp and lose 4-1 , gonna be a sad sight
Nah we are going to go penalty free against the Leafs like always. :skeptic:
I'm just hoping we have more of the puck than we have had against them in previous openers.
We managed to hang in pretty well but it was horrible to watch.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Special Teams are going to be the difference in this group. If our PP and PK performs like it has been the last couple of years, we're going to have a bad time.

Preseason did nothing to assuage those fears but those games don't matter and these ones do. Maybe there's a switch that can flip. I'll believe it when I see it but at least we're going to watch meaningful games here soon.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Special Teams are going to be the difference in this group. If our PP and PK performs like it has been the last couple of years, we're going to have a bad time.

Preseason did nothing to assuage those fears but those games don't matter and these ones do. Maybe there's a switch that can flip. I'll believe it when I see it but at least we're going to watch meaningful games here soon.
pretty sure they weren’t trying to go -1/30 thinking it does not matter. They were trying. Literally the only team without a pp goal in pre-season…

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad