Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 17 days) - Main Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 106 54.4%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mesar

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Tuch

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't mind anyone who doesn't hide from their takes, its just his are quite obviously made almost entirely out of spite.

Agreed. I know we have a knack of overselling our prospects. But he goes the complete other way and undersells them. It's like he is a contrarian.

I'll even go as far as giving McCagg credit, because he also puts his name and face on his opinions even if a lot of the time I don't agree with him. I think my biggest gripe with him was for the 2022 draft. He was always on team Slaf, but he was propping him up by pretty much shitting on Wright the whole way through. And I don't think he needed to disparage one prospect in order to prop up another one.

But Snake and McCagg are pretty much on the same boat for me. Respect the fact they don't hide behind their takes, but I don't always agree with them. I listen to both of their podcasts, as well as enjoy it when they're guests on Marinaro's podcast.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed. I know we have a knack of overselling our prospects. But he goes the complete other way and undersells them. It's like he is a contrarian.

I'll even go as far as giving McCagg credit, because he also puts his name and face on his opinions even if a lot of the time I don't agree with him. I think my biggest gripe with him was for the 2022 draft. He was always on team Slaf, but he was propping him up by pretty much shitting on Wright the whole way through. And I don't think he needed to disparage one prospect in order to prop up another one.

But Snake and McCagg are pretty much on the same boat for me. Respect the fact they don't hide behind their takes, but I don't always agree with them. I listen to both of their podcasts, as well as enjoy it when they're guests on Marinaro's podcast.
I think I understand why neither are working for nhl teams

They're dirtbags 😂

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I think I understand why neither are working for nhl teams

They're dirtbags 😂
To be fair, I don't think nhl teams scouts have a much higher hit percentage neither, if they publically expressed them we would see their flaws
I'm in project management and risk mitigation, and that level of uncertainty for me is what nightmares are made of
Nhl teams take group decisions which might mitigate the risks a bit but those lone freelancers put their name and reputation at play with each and every opinion.
I like listening to what they have to say and take it as it is, an opinion, not the absolute truth, and yeah they have terrible takes sometimes and spot on other times

Reactions: dgeezus

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

I feel Laraque is on snakes level and McCagg a step up simply based on the fact that he actually calls truth from time to time. Laracque and Snake are the WORST for clickbait here in Montreal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I feel Laraque is on snakes level and McCagg a step up simply based on the fact that he actually calls truth from time to time. Laracque and Snake are the WORST for clickbait here in Montreal
I have no issues with McCagg. I can tolerate him, probably the only guy Marinaro has on that isn't totally full of crap.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
To be fair, I don't think nhl teams scouts have a much higher hit percentage neither, if they publically expressed them we would see their flaws
I'm in project management and risk mitigation, and that level of uncertainty for me is what nightmares are made of
Nhl teams take group decisions which might mitigate the risks a bit but those lone freelancers put their name and reputation at play with each and every opinion.
I like listening to what they have to say and take it as it is, an opinion, not the absolute truth, and yeah they have terrible takes sometimes and spot on other times
Its not about hit percentage. I'm well aware scouting is not an exact science and I don't listen to these guys with the expectations they're going to be right or wrong.

Its about not being a jackass. Don't publicly bury kids because you have an axe to grind with a segment of a fanbase.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

My issue with people like McCagg and Boisvert is they try to come off as experts, yet I never learn anything about the game of hockey or translatable skills. It's always vague, non specific things and feelings about players. I don't care for it. At least the eliteprospects guys try to define some of their reasons why they like players, they back up with video evidence why they call them skilled/good skaters/high IQ and will even specifically mention which parts of their game needs to improve, even if sometimes it's rudimentary. I usually learn at least something in each of their video analysis. McCagg and Boisvert are basically cheap prospect fast food with an after taste. I'm not even a fan of Mesar, but that take was so dumb and without nuance.

Reactions: jrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad