Post-Game Talk: Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It doesn’t get talked about much because of his unearned reputation as a good puck handler, but Shesterkin is as bad if not worse than Hank was at playing the puck below the hash marks. Turnovers seem automatic when he plays it behind the net.

We saw it finally come back to bite him last night.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It doesn’t get talked about much because of his unearned reputation as a good puck handler, but Shesterkin is as bad if not worse than Hank was at playing the puck below the hash marks. Turnovers seem automatic when he plays it behind the net.

We saw it finally come back to bite him last night.

He can make plays with the puck that Hank could only dream of and he also turns it over. Yesterday it was particularly bad.

Reactions: Atax and Zynbanejad

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
That was just an ugly and sloppy game and we let Florida play their game which is “score 1 and clamp it down and muck it up." We’re better than that. I expect us to come out flying in game 2.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Can’t believe I am saying this, but all signs point to Fox not being himself, perhaps move him with Truba and Miller with Scheinder Gus with Lindgren
The last pairing if I remember correctly, did pretty good in Fox’s absence earlier in the year
Just a thought

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Nice to see everyone default to "the team is scared" after every loss like always.

I was dumb enough to think willing themselves to win game 6 would put it to rest for one game. That's on me.
Carolina hit as many posts as Kreider had shots in that 3rd period. Not to mention a handful of saves Igor made. You can't have it both ways: we played well this game bc "chances" and we willed ourselves a win in game 6 despite "chances."

It's not defaulting to anything, this team clearly got put on their heels early and stayed there until -- not coincidentally -- Trouba laid a huge open ice hit that set up a chance on the rush with 5mins to go. I don't know if they were scared but they played timidly and tepidly. Panarin had back-to-back shifts where he did his patented curl away from net and set up a nice breakout pass to the other team. He hadn't done that twice in the last three months.

The team is not soft; but they played a soft game last night. Hope they come out differently tomorrow bc they'll lose if they don't.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It hasn't been one game though. It's been 3 of the last 4. And even the game we won we played terrible the first 2 periods. This team has not looked good since game 3 vs the Canes.

They were the better team game 4 against Carolina and frankly it was a push yesterday. One goalie got the luck and made the saves when needed and one didn't.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
We were the better team and they played about as perfect a game defensively in the neutral zone as one could expect them to. It's never a good sign when a team deploys the 95 Devils neutral zone trap in a 1-0 game. That means they're on their heels and can't play a run and gun style.

Getting the first goal tomorrow is critical. Dictate the game. Make them play a game of odd man rushes. Make them have to slow us up and take penalties. We win that battle 9 times out of 10.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Carolina hit as many posts as Kreider had shots in that 3rd period. Not to mention a handful of saves Igor made. You can't have it both ways: we played well this game bc "chances" and we willed ourselves a win in game 6 despite "chances."

It's not defaulting to anything, this team clearly got put on their heels early and stayed there until -- not coincidentally -- Trouba laid a huge open ice hit that set up a chance on the rush with 5mins to go. I don't know if they were scared but they played timidly and tepidly. Panarin had back-to-back shifts where he did his patented curl away from net and set up a nice breakout pass to the other team. He hadn't done that twice in the last three months.

The team is not soft; but they played a soft game last night. Hope they come out differently tomorrow bc they'll lose if they don't.
We outchanced Carolina in game 6. It was our best game of the series at 5v5 and the right team won.

Posts seriously sway the perception of how a game is going. Those posts were 2 of 3 dangerous chances they had that entire period.

If Igor makes a save or the puck misses entirely, nobody remembers it. It's the same chance.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wasn’t as bad as some of you think. We had a legit chance to get this to OT before Laf decided to score on Igor. Not going to bash the kid, he has had a strong playoffs, but has been quiet the last few games.

I mean if Laf did that on the other end we would have been tied, it’s a game of inches or maybe yards on that play.

Also, would anyone be upset if they took Kakko out for Wheeler? Vesey has not done much at ES either but at least he is good at killing penalties.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
You people are candyasses.

Sitting here like "the Rangers are p***yes." Meanwhile, you can't f***ing watch the team lose one game without being a child about it.

There's plenty wrong with the team like any other team, and there's plenty to talk about in the summer.

In the meantime, one game has been played in this series.

And miss me with the "they can't handle it/they don't want it" narrative. They've answered that already.

Forget about the Rangers being ready for game 2. Get your own soft asses ready for game 2 because I'm sick of changing diapers around here.

If you can't handle it, do something else with your time. I'm so disgusted.

Are we hockey fans or are we sitting here watching Degrassi and crying that Jimmy got shot? Grow some hair on your ass.
i am doing both! lol i hadnt watched degrassi since like 2006 and decided to rewatch it as an adult during the 5 day break. i think those scripted children have better emotional regulation than a large chunk of our fanbase. certainly less reactionary.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We looked exactly like we did vs the devils last year. So yes I’m very concerned after losing game 1. I had high hopes but this team sadly looks like they are ready to go golfing in a week
Have fun in your version of reality. It was a close game up until Laff decided to deflect the puck into his own net.

Reactions: McRanger92

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
He was the second best skater after Kreider in the clinching game. 4 GWG these playoffs. PPG contribution.

Four goals in the entire postseason, but four straight games without tallying a goal. And two of those GWG came against Washington which I don't even count. I know they count by the letter of the law but c'mon... it was Washington.

He needs to take over a game. Our best player needs to be our best player. Has there been one game where you can safely say he was our best player?

Reactions: skipmowerman

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You people are candyasses.

Sitting here like "the Rangers are p***yes." Meanwhile, you can't f***ing watch the team lose one game without being a child about it.

There's plenty wrong with the team like any other team, and there's plenty to talk about in the summer.

In the meantime, one game has been played in this series.

And miss me with the "they can't handle it/they don't want it" narrative. They've answered that already.

Forget about the Rangers being ready for game 2. Get your own soft asses ready for game 2 because I'm sick of changing diapers around here.

If you can't handle it, do something else with your time. I'm so disgusted.

Are we hockey fans or are we sitting here watching Degrassi and crying that Jimmy got shot? Grow some hair on your ass.

Agreed. Rangers collective fanbase is way softer than they think the team is. Goldfish brains. Rangers will answer this challenge like they have all year, don't let the bandwagon run you over if you're jumping ship now.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, the Guentzel post (I think was Guentzel) was a medium-danger chance at best. Igor whiffed on that one.

Post =/= high-danger chance at all.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Agreed. Rangers collective fanbase is way softer than they think the team is. Goldfish brains. Rangers will answer this challenge like they have all year, don't let the bandwagon run you over if you're jumping ship now.
Our fanbase is soft because they have PTSD about this team falling apart constantly in the most important situations. The softness comes from something, and it's a lack of belief in this team getting it done. And there's plenty of past circumstances to support why they are that way.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I still think Goodrow sucks at 5v5 but he can kill penalties and has chipped in goals.

That's two things Kakko doesn't do.

It's a no brainer to get Wheeler back in. He is a better skater than Kakko with a frozen ankle and can complete a pass and beat a goalie with his shot, more things Kakko hasnt shown the ability to do in *checks notes* 5 years. Not to mention these may be the last games Blake ever plays in the NHL. His body is fresh and his motivation should be through the roof. He was plenty productive when he was healthy. get him in.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As terrible as that game was, I don’t walk away from it not being able to see how the Rangers can win.

I do walk away from it wondering just how much I care though because I have very little interest in watching another game like last night. That wasn’t fun/exciting/interesting in any way.

Reactions: ArPanet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad