Post-Game Talk: Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Subbin is the absolute worst. Somehow in a low event first period where I couldn't name a real scoring chance and the only goal allowed was baby shit soft if it wasn't for Igor it would be 4-0. I don't even think he was being a hater. I feel like he just said something that sounded right.

He's got to be provocative like Paul Bissonnette. I actually agreed with Mess in the first intermission. We immediately saw the identity of Florida and what they want to be and they how they want to play. Didn't see anything from the Rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A lot of unforced errors. Panicking with the puck

NO ONE could handle the puck.

Horrendous puck support. Everyone was spread out and flying the zone. Everyone needs to come back deep to help support the puck out of the zone. Move up as a unit.

Stop the cute stuff at the blue line. Actually forecheck with the intent to get the puck

We looked like a Gallant team but with a hobbled Fox. Fox’s play is a major problem if he doesn’t improve. He’s too relied upon.

We still had the better scoring chances imo. Missed the net, hit the post and wennberged.
The puck management was AWWWWFUL.

I thought our puck management was great against Carolina. They also brought a fierce forecheck so pretending Florida is big boy hockey and we've never seen it before doesn't feel accurate.

We hit the outbreak every time against the Canes. That forces them to either f*** off or stay the course and just give up 3-4 goals every game. They chose the latter.

This team is not more aggressive than Carolina and they're certainly a lot slower. What they are is better defensively, but that's no excuse to not get our rush going against an aggressive opponent. We've done it already. Bad puck management is on us and we need to correct it in game 2.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's got to be provocative like Paul Bissonnette. I actually agreed with Mess in the first intermission. We immediately saw the identity of Florida and what they want to be and they how they want to play. Didn't see anything from the Rangers.

Frankly for all of their identity they did nothing but capitalize on bad goaltending. They had no real chances of their own. And frankly despite not allowing a high volume chances or even shots against they allowed more great opportunities. The knob slobbering about the Panthers was obscene.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Schneider is low-key great at moving the puck. That's why I like him now.

He was terrible in that game. Couldn't find a blue jersey if you gave him 50 chances.

If he plays up to his capability, it's going to make a big difference.

It feels like just one of those games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He was terrible in that game. Couldn't find a blue jersey if you gave him 50 chances.

I know Florida is talented but I wonder if they can go toe to toe with the Rangers in a game that doesn't set the sport back a century and win. They look like they'll just rely on bad plays by defensemen and our goalie to win the series. Unfortunately I think it could work.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Just got back from the game. I apologize for my attendance but fortunately that’s probably the only playoff game I go to.

We were manhandled the entire game. Florida absolutely destroyed us physically. Our D’s were too scared to get to the puck on their dumps, which is part of the reason why their forecheck was so suffocating.

We 100% need Rempe in the lineup in game 2. I would also play Wheeler and bench Roslovic. I’ve seen enough of him. Roslovic sucks.
Roslovic is Arizona trash - Drury flopped at the deadline .

He has to go big heavy players ie Toffoli etc

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know Florida is talented but I wonder if they can go toe to toe with the Rangers in a game that doesn't set the sport back a century and win. They look like they'll just rely on bad plays by defensemen and our goalie to win the series. Unfortunately I think it could work.
I don't know if they can but it's going to hard to not play games like that.

Reffing is back in the 80's.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When the Rangers score zero goals, I have a hard time trashing the goalie.

Amazed at how many people can single out Wennberg and Vesey as the reasons for being shut out.

Florida played an excellent away game, holding the Rangers to so few shots.

I know it can't happen, but Jones would give us a much better chance of escaping the defensive zone with possession.

Sorry @Machinehead, but Fox's knee has removed the Rangers most important offensive weapon. You don't have to be a doctor to understand this.

That said, the Rangers could still have won. Game 2 will let all of us know if the Rangers have a shot of winning the series.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know if they can but it's going to hard to not play games like that.

Reffing is back in the 80's.

Win or lose I don't think I can watch many more games like last night. I hate when the league proves the haters right. What an absolute abomination that game was. Completely unwatchable. Game 7 of 2015 worthy. With a few more rushes.

Reactions: Atax

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

Don't care honestly about it being visually appealing and style points at this juncture. We're here to win. The majority of bad plays by our defensemen are the result of their pressure. Most chances literally result from opposition's bad plays. I think this is the natural reaction to getting gamed, that we lost it more than they won it. They gamed us. They deserve some credit for sticking to their Game 1 plan of playing clean, playing patient and not fall into a track meet and mostly staying out of the penalty box because they do not want to test our man advantage.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Didn't watch the game, but I suppose nothing to be too alarmed about? Sucks to lose, especially getting shutout, but Panthers looked beatable?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When the Rangers score zero goals, I have a hard time trashing the goalie.

Amazed at how many people can single out Wennberg and Vesey as the reasons for being shut out.

Florida played an excellent away game, holding the Rangers to so few shots.

I know it can't happen, but Jones would give us a much better chance of escaping the defensive zone with possession.

Sorry @Machinehead, but Fox's knee has removed the Rangers most important offensive weapon. You don't have to be a doctor to understand this.

That said, the Rangers could still have won. Game 2 will let all of us know if the Rangers have a shot of winning the series.
No, I get your concern. It was game 2 against Carolina where we had that exchange. People were talking about "oh the season is over because Fox needs surgery" and it hadn't even been two games yet. That was more so "you guys are on 11, let's take it down to 3."

It's been weeks now. Bumps and bruises get better. This is getting worse. I do think his partner is an issue, but he stunk on the powerplay last night too.

As far as Wennberg goes, I just don't like him. Watching him play hockey makes me wanna light myself on fire. Sorry, I guess.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Didn't watch the game, but I suppose nothing to be too alarmed about? Sucks to lose, especially getting shutout, but Panthers looked beatable?

I didn't see game 1 against the Caps and missed the second half of last night's third period but if I were to put the offensive threat of the Panthers last game it would literally be last in all of our games played outside of game 1 against the Caps. They did nothing but rely on a mentally soft goalie doing mentally soft goalie things.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
We're definitely in a bit of a skid at this point - that's 3 straight games where we just dont look very sharp. Florida didnt look sharp either. This series is still very much up for grabs but the boys are going to need to dig deep.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!

Gus was pretty bad, too. They all contributed equally in being appalling.

Schneider at least hit the post. God knows whatever the f*** Wennberg did with that puck.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Florida didn't impress me much, but I'm afraid that might be by design and kinda just how the Florida will play when leading. They seemed more then content to just sit on a 1-0 lead, and while it would of been nice to punish them for attempting to do that, instead we got smothered and went 15 mins without a shot on goal.

The flip side is, it was just one of those games where nothing seemed to go right. Fix our random fumbles, errant passes and score on some of our chances next time and we can make this a series.

Igor also needs to step up, he's been pretty average since the 2ot winner last series.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Florida didn't impress me much, but I'm afraid that might be by design and kinda just how the Florida will play when leading. They seemed more then content to just sit on a 1-0 lead, and while it would of been nice to punish them for attempting to do that, instead we got smothered and went 15 mins without a shot on goal.

The flip side is, it was just one of those games where nothing seemed to go right. Fix our random fumbles, errant passes and score on some of our chances next time and we can make this a series.

Igor also needs to step up, he's been pretty average since the 2ot winner last series.
Nothing went right for the Rangers. Nothing. I'm surprised Brancy's microphone didn't break.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Frankly for all of their identity they did nothing but capitalize on bad goaltending. They had no real chances of their own. And frankly despite not allowing a high volume chances or even shots against they allowed more great opportunities. The knock slobbering about the Panthers was obscene.

But what they're doing is going to set themselves up for success as the series wears on. Florida spent a lot of time in the offensive zone making the Rangers chase them around. They're just not going to throw shots to the net from every angle like Carolina did. They're going to continue to hit an already compromised Fox, because he's not mobile enough to avoid the checks right now. Their forecheck created many Rangers giveaways so we couldn't get up the ice and establish anything other than dumping the puck in a going for a change. Their team defense created turnovers in their own zone. And they even forced some unforced errors just by getting back. Look no further than Panarin's giveaway in the o-zone which led to the 1-0 goal.

The Rangers will adjust as best they can for tomorrow night I'm sure. I hope it's 1-1 going into Sunday afternoon.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Does a player apologize to teammates for something like that? Serious question.
I don't think he has anything to apologize about. That 2nd goal is Igor's fault. Made a bad read and a worse decision. All he had to do was not play the puck, the d man was there.

That said I think the kid bounces back. He had a good game otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Glad you've come around on Schneider.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's really the third line. Everyone's fourth line sucks ass.

Jimmy Vesey led our bottom six with 26 points, and he is on the fourth line!!

We know he sucks in the playoffs and it drops off after that, too.

(I know Wennberg had 30 points total but Seattle played him 2,000 minutes per game for some reason)

Florida's third line had 39, 37, and 27. Carolina's third line had Martin f***ing Necas on it.

Even garbage ass Washington had a more productive third line with McMichael and Oshie.

One line sucks, that's hockey. We need three lines with a prayer of scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad