Post-Game Talk: Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The one real goal happened because our goalie sucks. And our offense didn't do jack shit. But we very clearly have the worse goalie in this series. I've just about had it with Igor.

But in the end the Panthers didn't even break a f***ing sweat defensively all game.
You are wrong about Igor. There are 31 other teams that would love to have him. The Panthers gave up a few high danger chances and were lucky one of them didn't go in to tie the game. Sometimes you just lose games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So it should have been 0-0 going into OT but this series will be over very soon. Got it. Shesterkin didn't have the greatest game but he is human and to say he isn't a big game goalie is just wrong. He's been fantastic in so many big games. He was not tonight.

How many shutouts does Shesterkin have in the playoffs? And the series against Carolina must be the most overrated a series a goalie has ever had. If I hear again that he hasn't given up more than 3 goals in a game in 30 straight games I'm going to strangle someone. Dude really tested the limits of that garbage streak allowing 3+ goals in 5 out of 6 games. I'll give him that outside of two games against Pittsburgh he hasn't been rocked like Lundqvist often had. But it would be nice to see the guy get a shutout at least once. The guy is just incapable of playing 60 minutes. He ended the game when he gave up one of the worst goals I've ever seen to a team that didn't have to break a sweat with the lead all game.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
This game should have been 0-0 going into OT but Shesterkin is literally unable to play a playoff game without at least one f*** up. And sure Lafreniere f***ed up on the second goal but Shesterkin served that puck up on a silver platter. Shesterkin is not a big game goalie. His best attribute is not getting rocked. But he can't shut anyone down. Also, the offense sucked. This series will be over very very soon.
I knew this sounded familiar...just replace Igor's name with Hank's and its deja vu

Reactions: tiggles

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I knew this sounded familiar...just replace Igor's name with Hank's and its deja vu

No. Hank was able to once again get a shutout or a 1 goal game in the playoffs once in a while. He did get rocked more often in the playoffs than Igor. Hank takes this game to OT with his eyes closed though.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The concern with the Rangers has always been how heavily they lean on the rush, and how easy a rush is to shut down if you're just passive and stay in front of the opponent, unlike Carolina.

I thought we handled their forecheck better as the game went along. Granted, they were settling into their lead more as the game went along.

It's going to take a lot more but I don't know if I see Florida playing to that level every single game. They're gonna have some breakdowns. Their defense corps isn't that good.
I would hope they don’t play to that level every game otherwise it’s gonna be a sweep. It’s hard for me to envision how the Rangers are going to end up creating enough offensive chances to win this thing though. Especially with a broken Fox who is basically the engineer of the Rangers offensive zone scheme when he’s on the ice.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The concern with the Rangers has always been how heavily they lean on the rush, and how easy a rush is to shut down if you're just passive and stay in front of the opponent, unlike Carolina.

I thought we handled their forecheck better as the game went along. Granted, they were settling into their lead more as the game went along.

It's going to take a lot more but I don't know if I see Florida playing to that level every single game. They're gonna have some breakdowns. Their defense corps isn't that good.
Too bad their forwards are damn good 2-way players nearly all of them. Have to get through their forwards before you can get to their defenseman.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I'm not getting bent out of shape over 1 game.We hit 4 posts,Wennberg missed a half open net,and Igor gave up 2 terrible goals.Add in the fact we couldn't complete consecutive passes,and this is the result.Putting Rempe in isn't going to magically fix we are a 2 line team,and none of our dmen besides Fox can do anything good with a puck on their stick.We will be much better in game 2

Reactions: bhamill

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would hope they don’t play to that level every game otherwise it’s gonna be a sweep. It’s hard for me to envision how the Rangers are going to end up creating enough offensive chances to win this thing though. Especially with a broken Fox who is basically the engineer of the Rangers offensive zone scheme when he’s on the ice.
Our guys will make some plays. It's impossible to sustain shutting down our top six.

I am deeply concerned about our lack of contributions elsewhere, however.

Against this team, does our top six have four games in them where they can carry us? It's going to be a huge challenge.

And yeah, Fox is obviously a problem. The rest doesn't seem to have helped. But like I said, if we get knocked out and officially find out something was wrong with Fox...what are you gonna do?

Sometimes an injury stops you from winning the Cup.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
How many shutouts does Shesterkin have in the playoffs? And the series against Carolina must be the most overrated a series a goalie has ever had. If I hear again that he hasn't given up more than 3 goals in a game in 30 straight games I'm going to strangle someone. Dude really tested the limits of that garbage streak allowing 3+ goals in 5 out of 6 games. I'll give him that outside of two games against Pittsburgh he hasn't been rocked like Lundqvist often had. But it would be nice to see the guy get a shutout at least once. The guy is just incapable of playing 60 minutes. He ended the game when he gave up one of the worst goals I've ever seen to a team that didn't have to break a sweat with the lead all game.
Why does he have to get a SO for you? Not giving up more than 3 goals in 30 straight games is outstanding. He was the main reason they got to the ECF 2 years ago and why they got past Carolina this year, along with special teams. I don't know why you hate the guy so much.

Reactions: Wtp99 and bhamill

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Our guys will make some plays. It's impossible to sustain shutting down our top six.

Against this team, does our top six have four games in them where they can carry us? It's going to be a huge challenge.

And yeah, Fox is obviously a problem. The rest doesn't seem to have helped. But like I said, if we get knocked out and officially find out something was wrong with Fox...what are you gonna do?

It’s a shame we are healthy literally everywhere else but Fox who is probably our most important player.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Fox 100% has an MCL tear or a knee sparin. He'll probably have arthroscopic knee surgery this summer.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Why does he have to get a SO for you? Not giving up more than 3 goals in 30 straight games is outstanding. He was the main reason they got to the ECF 2 years ago and why they got past Carolina this year, along with special teams. I don't know why you hate the guy so much.
Because the Rangers become incapable of winning low scoring playoff games if he’s not keeping goals down. And considering it’s an annual tradition for our offense - particularly 5v5 - to go completely ice cold in the playoffs, it would be nice to steal a game or two when we score 1 or 2 goals.

Hank spoiled us in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad