Value of: Corson Ceulemans to the St. Louis Blues.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I asked this question in the Saad thread, but it hasn't been answered. I am very interested in Ceulemans as a potential reclamation project for the Blues because aside from Adam Jiricek (who is recovering from injury and was just picked this year), Matthew Kessel (who is currently playing on the Blues and may not even be a prospect any more), and possibly William McIsaac (fifth round pick this year), we have very little in the way of right-handed defense prospects with both Parayko and Faulk over thirty.

I understand that fellow Blues fans may decide to ask for a center, but I feel that right-handed defense depth shouldn't be ignored. To Columbus fans, what's your thoughts on this?

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
From my CBJ perspective, Ceulemans would be available for the right price. He was a recent #25 pick and his value has maybe gone down a little bit, maybe not enough development in the last two seasons. But he's still young, plays D, so who knows. So like you say a reclamation project.

So a high 2nd pick might be what I'd bite (like #33-40), or a 2nd and a 4th. Players or prospects I don't think we need or want at this stage. Veteran leadership could always be in the mix (Saad if he's still useful, I have no idea) but recently we're doing better on that front finally.

Reactions: Memento

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
From my CBJ perspective, Ceulemans would be available for the right price. He was a recent #25 pick and his value has maybe gone down a little bit, maybe not enough development in the last two seasons. But he's still young, plays D, so who knows. So like you say a reclamation project.

So a high 2nd pick might be what I'd bite (like #33-40), or a 2nd and a 4th. Players or prospects I don't think we need or want at this stage. Veteran leadership could always be in the mix (Saad if he's still useful, I have no idea) but recently we're doing better on that front finally.
Freddy Gaudreau and Carson Lambos. Please...

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Okay...hmm...Blues don't have second or third round picks to give (gave up two seconds in consecutive years - 2026 and the third round pick we got from the Mathieu Joseph trade - to Pittsburgh to get our original back for Broberg, and the third round pick we had was used for Holloway). Potentially, they could get one from a Saad trade, but I'm not sure you guys want to give up Ceulemans+ for a retained Saad; that conversation's in a different thread. As for wingers in our system, we currently have Snuggerud, Bolduc, Neighbours, and Stenberg, but all of them are suspected to be major parts going forward (yes, even Stenberg).

I mean, if push came to shove, I'd give up Stenberg, but I feel that you'd have to add a little more than Ceulemans

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Honestly, that's the one that would make the most sense. It would hurt, but it would all depend on how the FO views Dean vs. Ceulemans. They're both areas of need, and they're both recent 1sts who have lost some steam. It's about what the value would be, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger.

I'd absolutely do that trade. I'm just not sure Columbus fans would. I didn't think they needed centers, which is what Dean's positional value is. I thought that wingers were what they really needed, particularly top/middle-six wingers. And I thought that Ceulemans was passed up by others, hence the reclamation project.

Reactions: sfvega

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Both guys are marginal NHL’ers/busts. I don’t mind dealing Dean from STL and wouldn’t expect anything better than Ceulemans in return, but I don’t expect either to be much at the NHL level. For two teams a ways from contention, shuffling fringe players doesn’t accomplish a whole lot.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I'd absolutely do that trade. I'm just not sure Columbus fans would. I didn't think they needed centers, which is what Dean's positional value is. I thought that wingers were what they really needed, particularly top/middle-six wingers. And I thought that Ceulemans was passed up by others, hence the reclamation project.
I think Dean would settle in fine as a winger. He was kind of a tweener when we dealt for him. I'd probably do it, but like was said by JD I wouldn't bank on either of them panning out. We do need RD though.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Dean for Ceulemans

I wouldn't do that as a Blues fan. Dean will be in the NHL some day, we just don't know yet in what capacity. His ceiling is a bottom-6 forward while his floor is an extra/injury call-up, but he will at least be playing some NHL-games at some point in time. Chances at the moment Ceulemans will play NHL-games are slim, which makes him less valuable.

Most I'd offer for him is a 1-for-1 deal for Tyler Tucker who became redundant with the Blues due to increased depth. However, Tucker is still capable to play in the NHL in case of injuries.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn't do that as a Blues fan. Dean will be in the NHL some day, we just don't know yet in what capacity. His ceiling is a bottom-6 forward while his floor is an extra/injury call-up, but he will at least be playing some NHL-games at some point in time. Chances at the moment Ceulemans will play NHL-games are slim, which makes him less valuable.

Most I'd offer for him is a 1-for-1 deal for Tyler Tucker who became redundant with the Blues due to increased depth. However, Tucker is still capable to play in the NHL in case of injuries.
I'd give up Tucker or Alexandrov or someone like that. Loof even. But not one of our top dozen or so prospects. I just don't think Ceulemens has shown anything since drafted to make you think he is on NHL track.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I did respond about Ceulemans in the Saad thread. His value is nearly worthless at this point. I would gladly take Dean for him. Or like a 5th rounder.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Other CBJ fans may be ready to give up on Ceulemans, but I'm not. He had two wasted years at Wisconsin and played part time in the AHL last year as a 20 year old. He's just 21, a right shot, and has the frame (6'2") and skating ability of an NHL player. The question has been his head and he's behind on the development curve. Has a skill set that could be a nice NHL player. Yes, could be, not will be. Jury is out, but I'm not ready to move him yet. This year is very important and thus far he appears to be getting a regular, full time, shift in Cleveland. I'd like to see him with a full year in the AHL and playing time before declaring him a complete bust.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I'd offer Thomas Bordeleau from the Sharks. Swap two players who have intriguing potential but probably won't end up being useful NHLers and could potentially benefit from changing situations.

Ledge And Dairy

I'd do the trade, but I must warn you that Dean's more of a bottom six center, and I thought Columbus needed middle six wings?
Isn't that like the one thing they are absolutely overflowing with? Between Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Voronkov, Brindley, Pinelli, Del Bel Belluz, and Dumais they are pretty much guaranteed a few middle 6 guys. It's whether or not any of those guys can take the next step to being a 1st line level talent.

That feels like an outrageous ask for Ceulemans.
Why? He's still waiver exempt for this year and next, and they are under no pressure to move him. Seems a reasonable ask to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad