Value of: Copp and Lehkonen on the NYR 3rd line

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Habs fans, if you want to keep Lekhonen, please, go ahead! Then he will walk in UFA and leave the habs worse off, or the habs will hand him a massive contract that he is not remotely worth. Demanding a 1st for a bottom 6 forward like Lekhonen isn't getting you anywhere.
He's an RFA. Learn the rules.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I do think the Rangers could cause some damage in the playoffs but then I wonder if the D core can sustain their level of play when the going gets rough in the playoffs?

* Oldest vet is Nemeth at age 30.
* Most complete 200' guy is Trouba. Warrior type who will be leaned on heavy
* Offensive type in Fox who holds his own in the D zone. Lindgren ready to play top minutes with Fox at the age of 24? We will see
* Youngers in Miller and Schneider are the wild cards. Physical big big bodies that will have to show maturity.

Personally, I think this is a test type playoffs for the Rangers core moving forward. If you leave your D as is, then yeah, shore up the center of the ice and 200' wingers to help them. Offense does dry up in the playoffs and the depth guys tend to be the difference in many cases. Look at Tampa's 3rd line last year
I wouldn't be shocked if NYR could make it out of 1 round or so in the playoffs. I don't think they're quite there yet, but NYR have shown that when the game turns physical, slower, and less space involved to make plays, they can build some momentum playing that style. They get into trouble with turnovers and quick odd-man rushes against them. So it'll be interesting to see if they can play playoff hockey when pace slows down a little and the rink appears to get smaller by tighter cap control.

Last I heard Kakko was still weeks away. Rangers have a big issue on the 3rd line, but how much do you pay to fix that in the playoffs when you're not considered to be going all in?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't be shocked if NYR could make it out of 1 round or so in the playoffs. I don't think they're quite there yet, but NYR have shown that when the game turns physical, slower, and less space involved to make plays, they can build some momentum playing that style. They get into trouble with turnovers and quick odd-man rushes against them. So it'll be interesting to see if they can play playoff hockey when pace slows down a little and the rink appears to get smaller by tighter cap control.

Last I heard Kakko was still weeks away. Rangers have a big issue on the 3rd line, but how much do you pay to fix that in the playoffs when you're not considered to be going all in?

Depends on who they face IMO. I do think they have a good PP and good goaltending and if their team D can still be strong on the playoffs, they might surprise for sure.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Depends on who they face IMO. I do think they have a good PP and good goaltending and if their team D can still be strong on the playoffs, they might surprise for sure.
Rangers 3rd line is weak. In the playoff it's the 3rd line that make the difference, The Habs lost the Final to Tampa because of Tampa very good 3rd line.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rangers 3rd line is weak. In the playoff it's the 3rd line that make the difference, The Habs lost the Final to Tampa because of Tampa very good 3rd line.

No doubt about it. If the Rangers want to test their young core, do very little and see how they do but it won't result in a final 4 or cup final. Deeper you go, the less flaws you need to be able to win best of 7 series against other teams who will have less flaws.

However, if the Rangers feel is the right time, they can make moves to address the flaws and they might reach a final 4. How deep are they willing to dig in to youth/futures is their prerogative

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I know he is an RFA. However, RFA status doesn't last forever, like some of you habs fans in this thread seem to believe. After RFA, there's UFA. Does that make any sense??
You’re the one who used the threat of him walking as a UFA as a means to downgrade his value. We understand Montreal potentially, at worst, have two negotiations in the next 2 years with him to get him signed to a reasonable contract before him “walking as UFA” becomes an option. Does THAT make any sense?

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I know he is an RFA. However, RFA status doesn't last forever, like some of you habs fans in this thread seem to believe. After RFA, there's UFA. Does that make any sense??
Ah, so your predicting he signs a one year deal and then follows that up by walking.

Holy shit, you are way too smart for this earth.

Reactions: Qwijibo

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
you are forgetting
ALL of Strome + Geo + Hajek + Nemeth + 1.5 cap recovery goes for Zib+Fox $
all of it, without replacement
we are still likely forced to deal Lindgren's 3 x3 for scratch on LaF + Kakko +

Copp + Lekh are not doable b'c Strome $ is spoken for, and we don't have guys we can trade b'c way too many players have nmc/ntc clauses

If the market is high enough for Jones, we should deal him and later go w/Nils L. Comparable and both play either side. But Nils has best shot of any D on the team. Go bigger picture.

Wrong, you do not attempt to put a fire out by throwing gasoline on it.
You deprive it of fuel or oxygen.
Youth = elcs/more cost controlled assets = what is needed to put out the upcoming cap fire, which you do not ignore and def do not make worse by dealing youth and adding vets.

Consider the wisdom of Prof @smoneil ...

well said.

counter dat w/short excerpt from Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody:
"...open your eyes and see..."

Don't want to move Chytil, so we good. Chytil has continued upside, and is replacement when we can't and shouldn't give Strome ANY extension let alone a multiyear increase from 4.5 to 6ish neighborhood. Instead of being so quick to ditch Chytil, who looks good w/Gauthier, we should be seeing if we have a scorer to complete that line, pref Pajuneimi

Congrats to you on Caufield return to the living. Still not interested.
Krav I do not begrudge you we all want a bargain, but for umpteenth time, smart thing here is for NY to play this guy top line and let us all see what he really has, which on paper/eye test [size, skating, etc, etc] is significant [which is why there is interest]. Howev, I am not optimistic that as relates to Krav, Drury will do the right thing over his ego.
Keep dreaming in technicolor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad