Value of: Copp and Lehkonen on the NYR 3rd line

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think the Rangers have almost all the tools to surprise so-called "favorites" in this year's playoffs.

They have the most important part sorted out: the best goalie in the league.

They have a solid top 6 with players like Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Lafreniere and Strome.

They have a solid top 4 on D with Fox, Trouba, Miller and Lindgren.

They have the intimidation factor on the 4th line with Reaves.

They however lack that solid 3rd line with grit that can score and dominate matchups in the playoffs.

Goodrow is a great element, but I feel that if they can surround him well, that team could go very far.

Lehkonen-Copp-Goodrow could be on paper one of the best playoff kind of 3rd line in the league.

I think they have the assets to make it happen.

Copp: 27 y old C, 3,64 M caphit, UFA at the end if the year.

Lehkonen, 26 y old LW, 2,3 M caphit, RFA at the end of the year.

How much would that cost them total?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Give me a 2023 1st rounder for Lehkonen (top 10 protection) and you got a deal. If you want to acquire for cheaper, Habs will retain Lehkonen and extend him from age 27-29 on a 3 year deal around $3M ish. Value contract and we can try to move him later if we wish. He has one more RFA year left and I think he gets around $3M - $3.5M ish if the term is 2 or 3 years.

He's past the maturity years of development and into his prime now. Not going to rack up the points like other top skilled guys but his 200' game, skating, IQ, and worth ethic is very good. Has a proven track record at playing both sides effectively too.

Reactions: pth2

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Give me a 2023 1st rounder for Lehkonen (top 10 protection) and you got a deal. If you want to acquire for cheaper, Habs will retain Lehkonen and extend him from age 27-29 on a 3 year deal around $3M ish. Value contract and we can try to move him later if we wish. He has one more RFA year left and I think he gets around $3M - $3.5M ish if the term is 2 or 3 years.
Nope he's not worth a 1st.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Chytil for Lehkonen makes sense. Both have a 2.3 mil contract, with Chytil having an extra year. Gorton drafted Chytil, who is still only 22. He'll get more time/opportunities playing in Montreal.

Making that swap helps the Rangers to resign Lehkonen this summer.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Chytil for Lehkonen makes sense. Both have a 2.3 mil contract, with Chytil having an extra year. Gorton drafted Chytil, who is still only 22. He'll get more time/opportunities playing in Montreal.

Making that swap helps the Rangers to resign Lehkonen this summer.
Chytil does nothing for the Habs....

Trades have to benefit both teams last time i checked...

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
There are a bunch of guys the Habs would move before Lehkonen, so don't expect to get him for some disposable asset. Price would be a 1st or we will happily keep him.

Reactions: Runner77 and pth2

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Habs fans, if you want to keep Lekhonen, please, go ahead! Then he will walk in UFA and leave the habs worse off, or the habs will hand him a massive contract that he is not remotely worth. Demanding a 1st for a bottom 6 forward like Lekhonen isn't getting you anywhere.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs fans, if you want to keep Lekhonen, please, go ahead! Then he will walk in UFA and leave the habs worse off, or the habs will hand him a massive contract that he is not remotely worth. Demanding a 1st for a bottom 6 forward like Lekhonen isn't getting you anywhere.

Or, he signs a team-friendly deal and helps the Habs win a cup. You know, the other end of the spectrum. ;)

But thanks for venting your anger. It was entertaining. lol

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Nope he's not worth a 1st.

Goodrow of two years ago is actually a good comp, was the same age, less offensive output than Lekhonen, more physical but not as fast (I'd say from having seen both players), was on a 900k contract for 2 years before UFA status, Lehkonen has one year at 2.3 (1.15 if MTL retains 50%) then is RFA. Goodrow got a 1st and a 3rd went the other way.

I understand why NYR would not want to pay a 1st for Lehkonen, just saying his value seems to be around that (if NYR ends up in the late 20s OA, could also be around 2nd + prospect / 2nd + 3rd). That being said, he matches the type of player Hughes/Gorton said they want to keep so not sure he gets traded at all.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers aren't doing both. Even if you make an argument on whichever player being worth a 1st or 2nd plus really good prospect, Rangers aren't giving up 2 1st or 2 2nds and 2 real good prospects to revamp their 3rd line with 2 additions.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I really question NYR fans desire to make these kinds of trades when they have very little chance of competing for the cup. The better option is to go into the playoffs with what you have now and ride it out, and get experience for the young players. NYR should have no illusion of being a cup contender.

Ergo, it makes zero sense to trade for Copp / Lehkonen.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York

He's past the maturity years of development and into his prime now. Not going to rack up the points like other top skilled guys but his 200' game, skating, IQ, and worth ethic is very good. Has a proven track record at playing both sides effectively too.
Is retention allowed on extensions that haven’t kicked in? If so, a first for extended Lehkonen seems reasonable

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is retention allowed on extensions that haven’t kicked in? If so, a first for extended Lehkonen seems reasonable

Not sure but the Habs are not going to extend him and then retain for you for 3/4 more years. We will retain 50% for the rest of this season/contract. He's valued on our roster and like always, we are looking for a rebuild where we would be OK with him with us during those years or if we can flip him for a pick.

Up to the Rangers or any other team who feels he can help them this playoffs and the next few years during his prime. I don't see the Habs moving him for a 2nd and prospect to be honest. Possible but I think we are looking for pry away value like Coleman got from Tampa. Maybe not exactly the same cause that was a 1st and good prospect but we would consider the 1st and we do prefer the 23 1st at this point (top 10 protection of course)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think in theory the Habs could re-sign Lehkonen then trade him with retention. Not sure though if they can retain on a future contract. Maybe not.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think in theory the Habs could re-sign Lehkonen then trade him with retention. Not sure though if they can retain on a future contract. Maybe not.
No.. only on the current contract, as that’s the one he is on with the Habs. The future contract would be with NYR.
As for an extension then trade, still can only retain on the current contract, as it’s the only one that’s enforced until it expires.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

Those are definitely the only other alternatives. The fact that you didn't stop to check that he is an RFA at the end of the season shows you don't know enough of the player to say he is not worth a first.

Next season, genius... After QO
I assumed the same, your sentence formation is flawed then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad