GWT: Copa America 2024 - Group A - Argentina v. Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Let's face it. A win by Argentina was all but inevitable. A draw against them would have been a massive boost to their chances to advance beyond the group stage.

I don't think Argentina ran Canada out of the stadium by any stretch. I do think the ref wasn't doing Canada any favours. The non-call against Shaffelburg was a pretty significant miss, IMO.

I'm more bothered by the goal differential than the loss, frankly.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Let's face it. A win by Argentina was all but inevitable. A draw against them would have been a massive boost to their chances to advance beyond the group stage.

I don't think Argentina ran Canada out of the stadium by any stretch. I do think the ref wasn't doing Canada any favours. The non-call against Shaffelburg was a pretty significant miss, IMO.

I'm more bothered by the goal differential than the loss, frankly.
Bingo! I was more pissed with the 2nd goal than the first. How the f*** does the ref not call the foul just outside the box? And if David has any touch he scores and Buchanan should’ve scored . Easily could’ve been 2-2.

I don’t want to hear about how Peru is going to beat us. If Canada plays like tonight and buries their chances they’re winning the next 2 games

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Bingo! I was more pissed with the 2nd goal than the first. How the f*** does the ref not call the foul just outside the box? And if David has any touch he scores and Buchanan should’ve scored . Easily could’ve been 2-2.

A couple of calls or bounces the other way could have changed the final result. But I do think Canada got too sloppy at the wrong time more than once. You just can't do that against a team like Argentina and still hope for a positive result.

Argentina is good enough to get away that. Canada isn't.

Reactions: stats1

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
A couple of calls or bounces the other way could have changed the final result. But I do think Canada got too sloppy at the wrong time more than once. You just can't do that against a team like Argentina and still hope for a positive result.

Argentina is good enough to get away that. Canada isn't.
I thought Kone was atrocious tonight, didn’t like Miller at all. The back end needs to be better if we’re going to take the next step. Kone literally gave the ball to Messi FFS… brutal

Reactions: ujju2

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I thought Kone was atrocious tonight, didn’t like Miller at all. The back end needs to be better if we’re going to take the next step. Kone literally gave the ball to Messi FFS… brutal

Kone gives me hope for the future, despite his mistakes tonight

Miller makes me worry we have no other options at his position. He seems like the sort of player who tries hard despite being overmatched. In other words, useful when it comes to qualifying for top level tournaments, but ultimately not useful at those same top level tournaments.

That being said, I don't want to judge a player after a single game. Davies made lots of poor decisions tonight, but I still have a high opinion of him.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It's doable? Beating Chile is doable? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yes beating both Peru and Chile is doable. Chile is ranked #40th. Did you watch the game last night? Canada easily could’ve ended it in a draw if David finishes and Buchanan makes a final touch in the box. I’m not sure how David doesn’t head it in when he’s like a foot or 2 from the net. And Buchanan should’ve scored 10 mins into the match.

The problem Canada has is finishing and the back end, they can hang with anybody but until they get a killer instinct and start finishing plays they’ll continue to fail on the big stage. David has to start delivering

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We are putting a lot of on "ifs". Sure we had our moments last night and could have scored a goal or 2, but it's easy to the same with Argentina. They could have and probably should have scored 2 more goals then they did.
It’s something to build on and tbh this result shouldn’t be looked over completely but Canada needs to remain grounded. Saudi won their first game and still didn’t make it out of the group. Nothing changed from yesterday Canada didn’t get any points from the match and should go into the next two games with the mentality

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It’s something to build on and tbh this result shouldn’t be looked over completely but Canada needs to remain grounded. Saudi won their first game and still didn’t make it out of the group. Nothing changed from yesterday Canada didn’t get any points from the match and should go into the next two games with the mentality
I agree 100%.

We also have had an abysmal record against Nations with actual footballing ability.

0-0 v France is our biggest result since beating the USA and Mexico in WC qualifying. We also beat Japan 2-1 in a pre-Qatar friendly, although that game had a lot of rotation players involved. All this to say, sure we look good in some of these games, but we don't score and struggle to actually win big games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It could have been 2-2 but it also could have been 4-0 or 5-0.

Messi missing on two 1v1s with the keeper helped keep the score respectable.

To earn any kind of result against the #1 ranked team in the world required us not bottling our chances while the opposition missed on theirs.

They missed on quite a few, and to be fair, Crépeau was solid and aggressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
It was a great effort. It was naive to expect a result. I've spent my whole life watching Argentina beat up on mid-level CONMEBOL competition. You go in with some hope, on the very odd occasion you get a result, but usually you just hope you don't get outclassed badly. And Canada definitely did not get outclassed.

I am equally a Chile and Canada fan. I try to watch all their national teams games and follow their players in their respective leagues. I genuinely do not have a preference between the two. My heart will be split in half during their game. It's like watching your children compete against each other. So my impartial take is that both teams should beat Peru, who is on a clear downswing. Chile has been on a downswing, but are starting to show very real signs of progress under Gareca. They dominated Albania and Paraguay in recent friendlies and gave France a lot handle. Having said that Canada's performance tonight is worrying from a Chilean perspective. In my view Chile and Canada are as evenly matched as two teams can be. Star power edge goes to Canada (Chile hasn't got anyone of Davies' quality), but Chile's line-up is more balanced throughout. Liam Millar or Moise Bombito, good players in their own right, are not cracking Chile's starting lineup.

It's sad that the most likely outcome is that their game will be for second place in the group.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When is the last time we've seen Canada's men's team come up big in a major tournament?

They have never been more dangerous talent-wise but they don't appear to step up in the big moments yet.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
When is the last time we've seen Canada's men's team come up big in a major tournament?

They have never been more dangerous talent-wise but they don't appear to step up in the big moments yet.
It's really only been since 2019 that the team has been competitive. Canada's men's national team may as well have not existed prior to then. It did not have the quality to beat top or even mid level nations. They somehow won the Gold Cup in 2000.

Only tournaments played since becoming a competitive would be the 2021 Gold Cup ( Semi-Final loss in 8th minute of stoppage time to Mexico, very good tournament for Canada), 2022 World Cup (we all know what happened there) and 2023 Gold Cup (Canada's B squad lost in penalties to USA's B squad in the quarterfinals, very unlucky result. Canada had taken the lead in extra time and then squandered it, and were the better team throughout).

They also qualified to the final of the 2023 Nations League, losing to USA.

So it's been a mixed bag. This tournament is a huge test to their mettle. Getting out of the group stage would be massive.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's really only been since 2019 that the team has been competitive. Canada's men's national team may as well have not existed prior to then. It did not have the quality to beat top or even mid level nations. They somehow won the Gold Cup in 2000.

Only tournaments played since becoming a competitive would be the 2021 Gold Cup ( Semi-Final loss in 8th minute of stoppage time to Mexico, very good tournament for Canada), 2022 World Cup (we all know what happened there) and 2023 Gold Cup (Canada's B squad lost in penalties to USA's B squad in the quarterfinals, very unlucky result. Canada had taken the lead in extra time and then squandered it, and were the better team throughout).

They also qualified to the final of the 2023 Nations League, losing to USA.

So it's been a mixed bag. This tournament is a huge test to their mettle. Getting out of the group stage would be massive.

My first exposure to Team Canada in tournament competition was when I was living in Hamburg and they qualified for Mexico '86.

I remember a few things:

1. Our group (not an easy one), comprised of France, the Soviet Union and Hungary.

2. Our odds (the worst in the World Cup) at 1000-1 to win. Iraq was 2nd worst at 500-1. My German friends weren't very confident about Canada's chances.

3. Our team clearly didn't deserve a two-page spread in the Panini sticker book, but rather the single page with two players per sticker.

4. I think we hit the post against France and that was it.

5. Some of the names of the players: Valentine, Vrbalic, Samuel, Mitchell, Lenarduzzi, Lettieri.

Unfortunately, our most recent World Cup experience was almost identical.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

I expect them to beat Peru, the game against Chile will be to reach the knockout stage. If they can get there anything else is cherry on top. I’m hoping for a draw in the Peru-Chile match and then Hope Canada can finish chances win their next 2 matches and move on

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Imo the game was pretty even until the 75th-80th (cant rmb exactly when) We didn’t have the legs to press and be aggressive, even though we had no other choice.

End was chance after chance for Argentina.

Could they have been tied and then sat back at the end? Maybe. I don’t think we would have survived regardless.

Edit: Found this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad