Controversial Entertainment Opinions/Discussion Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Deal. Just a funny sentence to have read. Defending the amount of rape as not being too much. Just right, perhaps?

I would say the number of rapes isn't as much of an issue (feudal society and everything), but the problem is the execution. Namely regarding two major characters in the last couple seasons.

[spoil]Cersei being raped by her brother and us being asked to just ignore that, and Sansa being raped by Ramsay Bolton and it focusing on how it affects Theon Greyjoy.[/spoil]

I would consider the sexual content to be a bigger problem with HBO programming.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Nicholas Cage from 1995-2005 had one of the best ten year runs any male actor in Hollywood had. Leaving Las Vegas started it, and The Rock along with Con Air made him an action star. Face/Off was also a tremendous movie back then.

The public opinion started changing when he did The Wicker Man and GhostRider, along with that YouTube video which put the compilation of him going nuts in every movie.

He's been kind of off the grid the last few years, but Bad Lieutenant was a true awesome underrated movie, and of course Kick Ass.

He'll only be 53 early next year so he's still relatively young. I don't think he'll ever be a true A-Lister anymore, but in 3-5 years if he does the right film, he can definitely come back like Michael Keaton circa Birdman, Clint Eastwood circa Unforgiven after many mid-late 80s flops, or Sylvester Stallone when he did Copland.

You're missing some great Nicolas Cage performances during that timespan:

Adaption

Matchstick Men

Lord of War

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why is too much rape inherently a problem for shows?

I don't hear anybody talking about too much murder.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Its apples and oranges. Ive gotten into plenty of fights on the playground as a kid, I didn't get into plenty of rapes on the playground as a kid. They are not the same thing. Violence is also heavily sanitized in not rated R movies. You watch dark knight rises you can't even see the people getting shot a lot of the time it instantly cuts away.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You're missing some great Nicolas Cage performances during that timespan:

Adaption

Matchstick Men

Lord of War

Haven't seen Adaption but those other two are excellent movies as well. He's a very good actor who has agreed to do some very stupid films.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Its apples and oranges. Ive gotten into plenty of fights on the playground as a kid, I didn't get into plenty of rapes on the playground as a kid. They are not the same thing. Violence is also heavily sanitized in not rated R movies. You watch dark knight rises you can't even see the people getting shot a lot of the time it instantly cuts away.

Did you get into lots of murders as a kid?

Are the murders in Game of Thrones heavily sanitized?

Violence has been accepted as part of entertainment for decades.

Sex? Not so much. Rape obviously even less so.

I didn't say "violence". I said murder.

I don't understand why people believe that rape something that has to be used with the utmost discretion in fiction but people can be murdered left and right.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Why is too much rape inherently a problem for shows?

I don't hear anybody talking about too much murder.

There is a psychological difference between the two. People are killed and kill for many reasons. Arguments, self-defense, revenge, conflict/war, means to get to an end.

Rape isn't really used for these means. The act and motivation of the act makes is way different in scope, which is why it is treated differently.

You could argue that we are desensitized to murder, but I don't see how rape is on the same pedestal. It is a different act with different motivations which is important.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yes you said it much better than I could.

The point I was making about the playground is the distinction between violence and sexual violence. There can be a good guy and a bad guy on the playground, some kind of justification.

With sexual violence it's just repulsive, I doubt people will ever be desensitized to it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That reminds me.

Controversial opinion: Cartoonish stylized violence has always seemed like a significantly more dangerous influence than realistic gory violence to me. The perception is kind of backwards, isn't it?

When I was a kid, bloodless, cartoonish violence was the thing that made you want to go out and emulate/make light of violence-- it just encourages kids to be careless, get into accidents, and attack things for fun. Seeing a limb being gruesomely hacked off with blood spurting everywhere, on the other hand, only served to strike fear in me and give a stark realization of the terrifying consequences of violence. It doesn't make me more likely to commit the act, if anything, it traumatizes me as it probably should and makes me overly careful/paranoid when handling knives..... which is... kind of a good thing, isn't it? :laugh:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Two More Controversial Opinions on popular TV shows.

1. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia got worse once Danny DeVito joined-I loved DeVito as a kid in the 80s and even in the 90s he was great, and I really liked Season 1, but once he joined, everything revolved around him 24/7 and it just got annoying and too much shock. He works fine as an occasional character or maybe in like the Newman role, but it's Frank 24/7. I actually loved how they used Stephen Collins before all of his legal issues.

2. New Girl was better with Meghan Fox-Was never a fan of this show but I did start watching when I was living on the West Coast this summer with a roommate and the season I enjoyed the most was the one with Meghan Fox. It make me respect her as an actress. I just don't like Zoey Daschnel's character. Too much singing, too chipper, non interesting plotlines, and while the actress is pretty, the character dresses like a cross between a hipster and grandma.

member 51464

1. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia got worse once Danny DeVito joined-I loved DeVito as a kid in the 80s and even in the 90s he was great, and I really liked Season 1, but once he joined, everything revolved around him 24/7 and it just got annoying and too much shock. He works fine as an occasional character or maybe in like the Newman role, but it's Frank 24/7. I actually loved how they used Stephen Collins before all of his legal issues.

2. New Girl was better with Meghan Fox-Was never a fan of this show but I did start watching when I was living on the West Coast this summer with a roommate and the season I enjoyed the most was the one with Meghan Fox. It make me respect her as an actress. I just don't like Zoey Daschnel's character. Too much singing, too chipper, non interesting plotlines, and while the actress is pretty, the character dresses like a cross between a hipster and grandma.

I feel that describes many women in her age range in the big city :laugh:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I feel that describes many women in her age range in the big city :laugh:

LA? Naw, I lived there for a month this summer and have business dealings and friends out there, and besides Silverlake, not very hipsterish. More drama kids, models, and hippies.

Even NY is not like that, only fragments of Brooklyn and outskirts of Bronx or Queens.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The amount of discussion about actresses looks in here. :shakehead

I get there you're coming from, and even agree to a certain degree, but aren't looks implicitly a large part of the appeal that contributes to the success of actors? I mean, their looks, especially in N.A., is an aspect of an actress that her team/P.R./publicist will focus on to promote them, no? It seems a tad hypocritical to complain about moviegoers discussing an actress's looks when it's one of the largest reason as to why they become famous in the first place.

Note: Once again, I'm not saying it's okay, just that I'm not surprised and that perhaps it's even encouraged by Hollywood and their publicists.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There is a psychological difference between the two. People are killed and kill for many reasons. Arguments, self-defense, revenge, conflict/war, means to get to an end.

Rape isn't really used for these means. The act and motivation of the act makes is way different in scope, which is why it is treated differently.

You could argue that we are desensitized to murder, but I don't see how rape is on the same pedestal. It is a different act with different motivations which is important.

A lot of people actually murder for other reasons.

The hound kills for fun. The mountain kills for fun.

Its a stupid rebuttal to say rape is worse than taking a life because theres a motive being the murder.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
A lot of people actually murder for other reasons.

The hound kills for fun. The mountain kills for fun.

Its a stupid rebuttal to say rape is worse than taking a life because theres a motive being the murder.
The hound doesn't kill for the sake of killing most of the time. He killed for a prince because he was asked, he killed for a king because he was asked, he killed on the road because he was forced into situations. He is also morally gray because of how he enjoys doing it despite not doing so willy nilly.

The Mountain rapes and kills. He is a despicable human being and is portrayed as such.

My point was murder/killing is more widespread because there are more justifiable reasons (in narrative context) for a character to kill someone. Having someone commit a rape has no real motivations other than the person doing the rape having selfish desires, which is why you rarely see it, and why it's inclusion can be put under higher scrutiny.

I also never said it was worse. I justified why it has different standards in entertainment compared to killing.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The amount of discussion about actresses looks in here. :shakehead

Just to be clear I never said angelina Jolie was not attractive just that she was not some supermodel like she was made out to be

Even that was incredibly inflammatory to the huddled masses

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

What the hell are you talking about, he is the least utilized of the main five.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think the reason we don't put murder on the same level is that none of us have ever been murdered. Which sounds stupid to say. But it kind of puts the act of "being murdered" at a remove, something fantastical, because it never happened to any of us. Whereas plenty of people have been raped and are still alive and have to carry around the weight that comes with that forever. So I think it's understandably a touchier subject for a society as a whole.

You could say "what about people who were almost murdered" or who had a family member murdered, or who experienced other equally traumatic events...but then you're getting into the question of how people respond to the depiction of these things individually and as it relates to their own life experiences, which is a different question.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
None of these arguments make very much sense.

I doubt very many of us have been raped or know many more people who have been raped than have been murdered. Whether or not characters who kill for fun are portrayed as despicable human beings is irrelevant, because the same is more or less true of the characters who rape. Furthermore, the only reason most villains have ulterior motivations for murder these days was in reaction to past norms where villains were evil for the sake of evil and murder for ****s and giggles. It wasn't treated any differently then, and people didn't excuse violence any less.

Motive/justification really has nothing to do with why they're treated differently. It has more to do with response. The thought of being raped is more terrifying and disturbing than the thought of being murdered, just as the thought of being tortured is more terrifying and disturbing than the thought of being murdered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad