OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think it's interesting that they introduce him as Dr. Doom and not as Victor. I'm expecting that in this version of the MCU, Dr. Doom will be an evil Tony Stark variant and will have a totally different origin story.
Feige did say in the reveal that RDJ is playing Victor Von Doom.

Just imo, I think it’ll turn out he’s both Stark and Von Doom. I think he will be born the same as prime MCU in whatever multiverse he’s from but some change to his life path has him end up as Von Doom.

I’m not going to look up comic versions of something like that because I’d rather try to keep it fresh, for me, in the movie.
IMG_4352.jpeg

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think it's interesting that they introduce him as Dr. Doom and not as Victor. I'm expecting that in this version of the MCU, Dr. Doom will be an evil Tony Stark variant and will have a totally different origin story.
My buddy told me that Infamous Iron Man #1s price went through the roof last night

Apparently Victor Von Doom transfers his consciousness into a Tony Stark variant within the series

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Oh it’s all so f***ing boring, enough with the superhero shit. I like RDJ but enough already. People will eat this slop up of course, same with Star Wars.

Take 5-10 years off all these franchises that have been run into the ground.

Between the Russos and RDJ this kind of feels like Marvel throwing a hail mary to get the MCU back on track.

IMO Marvels problem has been since the focus has been off of their core characters (some needed and some forced) and directors as well.

Bringing back the Russos is a no brainer as they directed some of the best Marvel movies ever (altho Avengers movies would be hard to mess up, they’ve definitely done a great job).

I think the fans proved they won’t just “eat it up” by the box office numbers (and streaming) over the past few years.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again. Now that they own the movie rights to the Xmen and Fantastic Four, if they do those 2 properties even close to right, we are about to see another level and a resurgence of Marvel movies back to Avengers 1 days.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Isn’t Deadpool and Wolverine doing that? The movie is doing well and fans seem to like it.
It's helping but the mainline MCU has lost some of it's mojo post Cap and Iron Man. To use a hockey analogy, their core got blown up and they never really found one strong enough to build on. Which might be unfair given how much that core was basically like hall of fame level with how well they did.

It just has a "remember these guys, you liked them" kind of feeling. It might just be my lingering anger/disappointment over Star Wars basically doing that with Rise of Skywalker bubbling up though.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think it would be more remember berries if they were bringing RDJ back to play a good guy iron man or even just a good guy.

Having him play a bad guy is a new role that lets him play it differently and could be fun.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
That was the best HotD/GoT episode in years. Damn.

Visually and script-wise.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Can’t wait to see how they wrap up this season of HoTD! Oh…

What a disappointing season. So glad we got a mud wrestling montage with a YouTuber. That fan service Alicent/Rhaenyra scene was brutal. Condal and Hess are writing terrorists.

Reactions: JK3

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I still enjoy HOTD but I’m guessing the adding an additional season hurt this season’s pacing more than others.

As a comparison, I didn’t really enjoy any of Westworld other than season 1, but that show also had to add additional seasons to the show and their second season ended up as an even more inconsequential filler than this HOTD season.

Just my guess, if the show hadn’t been extended by a season we would have seen some of the initial battoes and these 8 episodes would have been more like 4 episodes of that original season.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think the budget and writers strike probably messed with the original plan. Although honestly, why HBO wouldn't give this show that had such an acclaimed first season the budget they needed to do what they wanted in season 2 is kind of odd, especially given how much of a mess the final seasons of GOT were with shortened seasons. Hopefully they saved up for some epic battles next season because we've had 2 seasons of setup for this war now.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I'm loving HoTD, but every single time they bring up the "song of ice and fire", I just want to die.

Confirmed for dead. Daemon's dream revelation had me biting my nails like Alicent in season 1. Just please, stop referring to the song. PLEASE. I can't take it.

Season 1 ends with them preparing for all out war and Season 2 ends with them.... preparing for all out war?

... and a mud wrestling match between a Lannister and a pirate with the best teeth I have ever seen on screen?

ross-teeth.gif

Horrible.

Reactions: JK3

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I haven't read the books and my wife has been alluding to some pretty crucial changes having been made already, but overall I was totally onboard with HotD until the last episode. Everything felt simultaneously extremely forced and also pointless

Reactions: JK3 and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium