OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yes I watched Book of Fett. I forgot to include that thanks for the reminder. It was decent. I liked seeing a different side of the character and fleshing him out a bit after being a cypher for so long. It’s funny I can’t specifically recall those two episodes that connected to Mandalorian. I really enjoyed the one where they introduced Ahsoka was that Mandalorian or Book of Fett? Also enjoyed the Waititi episode. Are they going to do more Mando shows?
There was supposed to be a season 4, then it was going to be a movie, then it was going to be season 4 followed by a movie, and now I'm not sure where they are. The movie is still scheduled for 2026, so you think they'd do another season of the show next year and then wrap it up with a movie, but it's Disney so who the hell knows. They're definitely doing more though.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Finally watched Oppenheimer now that it's on Prime.

Very good movie, but way too long. Would have been a Best Picture winner even if Nolan cut an hour from it.
My wife and I saw it in the theater at like 8:30 or something on a Friday. I was struggling to stay awake because it was so long. Excellent film but VERY long.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Really fun HOTD. I’ll be interested in how this was recorded in the history books versus what we saw as the true version.

I have a podcast that eventually does that so I will see.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Really fun HOTD. I’ll be interested in how this was recorded in the history books versus what we saw as the true version.

I have a podcast that eventually does that so I will see.
Hearing some of the “written history” now, it’s really impressive how they’ve taken a sort of dry history and added so much emotion and new context.

They’ve been able to add all these nuances in a way that make sense, meaning it is reasonable that a written history didn’t know xyz moment. We as show watchers see the hidden facts and know how critical they are to understanding truly what happened.

It would be a good compare/contrast if you wanted to teach someone that history books may not have the whole truth in them; through no fault of the historian.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I share this thought to an extent, though sometimes I think how poorly GoT ended after they ran out of source material clouds my judgement. I've been meaning to go back and re-watch the first few seasons but just haven't found the time.
Just off the top of my head for season 1. I was a book reader so I’m going off my friend’s impressions at the time.

The first episode ends with a child being pushed out a window because he caught siblings canoodling. That blew people’s minds, some weren’t even sure they could keep watching because it was so shocking and disturbing.

Then when Ned gets killed there was a “the main character hero can’t be killed” that also shocked everyone.

Red Wedding also blew people away but they were a little inoculated to craziness by this point.

I think the Ned moment in particular, for that time in TV, is probably something HOTD hasn’t topped. I think HOTD is arguably a better show, the important character list is smaller which helps the interactions matter more.

GOT in their moments blew people’s mind, I don’t think HOTD has quite done that. HOTD is still extremely good but GOT was lightning in a bottle at times.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I share this thought to an extent, though sometimes I think how poorly GoT ended after they ran out of source material clouds my judgement. I've been meaning to go back and re-watch the first few seasons but just haven't found the time.
GoT seasons 1-4 is up there for me with breaking bad, the wire, sopranos, mad men, and true detective season 1. HoTD has had some high highs, but one incredible episode with a sublime dragon battle doesn’t make it GoT early seasons, though I have really enjoyed this show.

To me, better call Saul is closer to breaking bad than HOTD is to GoT.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

S7/8 insanely soured me on GoT, it was so f***ing bad. S6 GoT is the greatest start to finish TV season I think I've ever seen though but the last 2 seasons make me take out the show from my top 3

Just off the top of my head for season 1. I was a book reader so I’m going off my friend’s impressions at the time.

The first episode ends with a child being pushed out a window because he caught siblings canoodling. That blew people’s minds, some weren’t even sure they could keep watching because it was so shocking and disturbing.

Then when Ned gets killed there was a “the main character hero can’t be killed” that also shocked everyone.

Red Wedding also blew people away but they were a little inoculated to craziness by this point.

I think the Ned moment in particular, for that time in TV, is probably something HOTD hasn’t topped. I think HOTD is arguably a better show, the important character list is smaller which helps the interactions matter more.

GOT in their moments blew people’s mind, I don’t think HOTD has quite done that. HOTD is still extremely good but GOT was lightning in a bottle at times.

GoT seasons 1-4 is up there for me with breaking bad, the wire, sopranos, mad men, and true detective season 1. HoTD has had some high highs, but one incredible episode with a sublime dragon battle doesn’t make it GoT early seasons, though I have really enjoyed this show.

To me, better call Saul is closer to breaking bad than HOTD is to GoT.

Yep agreed on the all the points here

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Adding to this thought chain, even though GOT had the higher highs, I think I would recommend someone brand new to the TV universe to start with HOTD and ignore GOT.

They can always watch GOT later if they really love HOTD. Also, GOT has HOTD spoilers, so you get to avoid those.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Adding to this thought chain, even though GOT had the higher highs, I think I would recommend someone brand new to the TV universe to start with HOTD and ignore GOT.

They can always watch GOT later if they really love HOTD. Also, GOT has HOTD spoilers, so you get to avoid those.

Yeah I mean it also helps this series will have the entirety of the books to steer along as opposed to S7/8 of GoT. But agreed on those points as well, I think maybe it's just me starving for good TV but this has been a breath of fresh air to watch. The Last of Us started off pretty good too but I thought they rushed it a bit in S1 (not sure if anyone here has seen it)

Reactions: Rhodes 81

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Finally watching the last three seasons of the Sopranos. Watched the first three seasons a decade ago.

On season 4, utterly bizarre so far lmao. Kid impaled by an arrow wtf am I watching…

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He really had it coming all the way from his first couple of episodes. The guy somehow avoided getting whacked I'm gonna say 3 or 4 times before he finally did. And there were at least 5 people who wanted to whack him or even had the wheels in motion to do it,

That prank call in his last episode was something I found insanely hilarious when that episode was new, back when I was in my 20s. I laughed really hard over that. I thought it was maybe one of the funniest scenes in the entire series.

When I watched it again recently, it was still funny, but it didn't make me laugh as hard.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is there a bigger POS in tv history than Chris in the Sopranos?

JFC, someone put him down

Halfway through season 5, almost done
Do you or do you not want to hear about the deepest darkest secrets of the Lughthouse? Stop ruing the Sopranos for everyone. There are easily tens and tens of people that haven’t watched it and I’m sure at least one of them has internet access.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad