OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
It doesn’t get talked about enough but Mayor of Kingstown is a good show if anyone is looking for something to watch.
S1 was excellent. S2 felt like every episode was the exact same shot sequence, and plot just mixed up with variables for who was starting shit, who got targeted, and where he was suddenly making a U-turn while on the phone with. I hope S3 is going to actually mix things up a bit.

*Insert drone long shot of industrial smoke stacks here*

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
S1 was excellent. S2 felt like every episode was the exact same shot sequence, and plot just mixed up with variables for who was starting shit, who got targeted, and where he was suddenly making a U-turn while on the phone with. I hope S3 is going to actually mix things up a bit.

I can hear the music with the drone shot. I feel like season 2 might’ve been messed up from Renners near fatal accident but the time frames might be off.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

It's been ok so far. I wish they released the entire season so it can be binged but that isn't happening so I'm stuck waiting.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Episode 1 of the new season of the bear was definitely smelling its own farts. That was rough. Nice to look at, but a waste of 35 minutes.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Which was about the only good thing about the episode. I think the series has lost me. I'll finish it because even bad Star Wars has fun stuff in it, but the whole series just feels like a CW version of Star Wars.

It just sucks that the legit criticisms of this show are going to be drowned out in the usual noise that has less to do with actual criticism and more to do with culture war bullshit. Or whiny bitch fans that are pissed because somebody's birthdate or lightsaber color was changed.

Also, I've had a few drinks and I'm feeling kinda beligerant, so maybe I'll feel differently on subsequent watches lol
I’m on this boat and it’s taking on water. Episode 5 was cute but terrible at the same time. It’s reaching Obi Won level crapiness for me.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m on this boat and it’s taking on water. Episode 5 was cute but terrible at the same time. It’s reaching Obi Won level crapiness for me.
IMG_0087.gif

I’m so curious to give this show a further shot (still only watched 1 episode and haven’t gone back to it yet). I really respect a lot of the movie opinions on here but I feel like this show was doomed from the start. From what I’m seeing, the 2nd season won’t be picked up and the main actress is being taken out of future projects that were going to tie into it.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Just finished HoD ep2. HOLY SHIT. This is peak GoT levels already. We got ourselves another Joffrey and grandfather hand can't keep them all from screwing everything up that took careful planning lol.

I kept waiting for him to outright say "I'm surrounded by idiots."
I just got to watch it last night. It definitely has a lot in common with the great parts of GoT. I don't have any sympathy for any of the Greens though, which I think we're supposed to get an ounce of from that episode.
Episode 1 of the new season of the bear was definitely smelling its own farts. That was rough. Nice to look at, but a waste of 35 minutes.
Probably won't get to watch this one for a week or two. It's definitely my favorite show of the last few years outside of maybe the first season of Only Murders. I hope they aren't falling off already but I haven't heard as much chatter about it as I thought I would.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
View attachment 888488
I’m so curious to give this show a further shot (still only watched 1 episode and haven’t gone back to it yet). I really respect a lot of the movie opinions on here but I feel like this show was doomed from the start. From what I’m seeing, the 2nd season won’t be picked up and the main actress is being taken out of future projects that were going to tie into it.
I mentioned that I listen to the podcast Children of the Watch. It’s a great listen because the two hosts are über Star Wars nerds who have seemingly read every book and comic book, played every video game and can spout out obscure facts that would make @MadDevil proud.

But, they were wee babes when the prequels came out, believe that Disney could do no wrong and don’t really criticize the shows. What they do help with is giving background and help flesh out scenes and character plots that gives me better understanding on what’s going or what they’re trying to accomplish.

It helps me enjoy the show a little better, but with this one there’s not a lot to work with in my opinion.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I just got to watch it last night. It definitely has a lot in common with the great parts of GoT. I don't have any sympathy for any of the Greens though, which I think we're supposed to get an ounce of from that episode.

Probably won't get to watch this one for a week or two. It's definitely my favorite show of the last few years outside of maybe the first season of Only Murders. I hope they aren't falling off already but I haven't heard as much chatter about it as I thought I would.
Absolutely loved season 1 & 2, but I’ll withhold total judgement on this season until I watch more than 1 ep

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Absolutely loved season 1 & 2, but I’ll withhold total judgement on this season until I watch more than 1 ep

We watched the first episode of Bear season 3 last night, and we agree with your assessment of it being self-indulgent. Basically nothing happened, it just fleshed out some backstory that we vaguely already knew.

Hoping it picks up more later on.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
We watched the first episode of Bear season 3 last night, and we agree with your assessment of it being self-indulgent. Basically nothing happened, it just fleshed out some backstory that we vaguely already knew.

Hoping it picks up more later on.
Exactly, like 15 minutes in to it my wife was like “when is this montage stopping” lol.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I mentioned that I listen to the podcast Children of the Watch. It’s a great listen because the two hosts are über Star Wars nerds who have seemingly read every book and comic book, played every video game and can spout out obscure facts that would make @MadDevil proud.

But, they were wee babes when the prequels came out, believe that Disney could do no wrong and don’t really criticize the shows. What they do help with is giving background and help flesh out scenes and character plots that gives me better understanding on what’s going or what they’re trying to accomplish.

It helps me enjoy the show a little better, but with this one there’s not a lot to work with in my opinion.
Star Wars has really spun off a lot of stuff that was not really part of the original vision. I know Lucas had an outline of thr original trilogy and some backstory for what eventually became the prequels. Beyond that there is some controversy. At one point in the original trilogy era there was some statement somewhere that Lucas had sketched out an additional three sequels but this may have been made by a journalist. My recollection is that Lucas denied this when Return was released. I had the first extra but if the Star Wars universe reading Splinter of thr Mind’s Eye when it came out. I’m skeptical that Lucas had as much detail in the backstories as some believe. Sure he always said that Obi Wan and Anakin had their showdown on a volcano but I think he made up a lot of the filler in later years and I don’t think episodes 7-8-9 involve much of any vision he had. Just my thoughts. I haven’t watched the new show and long ago stopped watching cartoons as my kids lost interest. I did think the link between thr original Clone Wars shorts by Tartorovsky (spelling) and Episode 3 when Grievous enters coughing was a fun touch and made them canon.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
finished Dark Matter on apple TV. It's only one season - which I think was appropriate.

My wife had read the book and thought the show really did a good job.

Parallel universes maaannn
Is it confirmed 1 season, as in everything was wrapped up? I’m 3 or 4 episodes in.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Star Wars has really spun off a lot of stuff that was not really part of the original vision. I know Lucas had an outline of thr original trilogy and some backstory for what eventually became the prequels. Beyond that there is some controversy. At one point in the original trilogy era there was some statement somewhere that Lucas had sketched out an additional three sequels but this may have been made by a journalist. My recollection is that Lucas denied this when Return was released. I had the first extra but if the Star Wars universe reading Splinter of thr Mind’s Eye when it came out. I’m skeptical that Lucas had as much detail in the backstories as some believe. Sure he always said that Obi Wan and Anakin had their showdown on a volcano but I think he made up a lot of the filler in later years and I don’t think episodes 7-8-9 involve much of any vision he had. Just my thoughts. I haven’t watched the new show and long ago stopped watching cartoons as my kids lost interest. I did think the link between thr original Clone Wars shorts by Tartorovsky (spelling) and Episode 3 when Grievous enters coughing was a fun touch and made them canon.

I go back to the Timothy Zahn and Kevin J. Anderson books and had read SME, and knew my old canon pretty well. Big fan of all the Clone Wars stuff with the feature length movie being the weakest link.

Lucas was making most of it up as he went along. I’m sure he had an outline and ideas but a lot of it was to fit around some of the ideas and concepts he already thought of (volcano for example). He went from hating that Boba Fett, who had a bit part in Empire, became so popular to centering the prequels around him. That wasn’t premeditated.

I just think Disney really had a chance to do a good job of curating and releasing good to great content. I thought that’s the direction they were going when Mando, Rogue One and Clone Wars cartoon were released and were great stories, but Obi Won was terrible, Andor is solid but could be a lot sexier, Asohka was meh and a bit of a Rebels’ circle jerk and Acolyte is bad for the money that they’ve spent.

But looking at the production value of Andor versus Acolyte and you’d think they shot Acolyte in someone’s backyard.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I go back to the Timothy Zahn and Kevin J. Anderson books and had read SME, and knew my old canon pretty well. Big fan of all the Clone Wars stuff with the feature length movie being the weakest link.

Lucas was making most of it up as he went along. I’m sure he had an outline and ideas but a lot of it was to fit around some of the ideas and concepts he already thought of (volcano for example). He went from hating that Boba Fett, who had a bit part in Empire, became so popular to centering the prequels around him. That wasn’t premeditated.

I just think Disney really had a chance to do a good job of curating and releasing good to great content. I thought that’s the direction they were going when Mando, Rogue One and Clone Wars cartoon were released and were great stories, but Obi Won was terrible, Andor is solid but could be a lot sexier, Asohka was meh and a bit of a Rebels’ circle jerk and Acolyte is bad for the money that they’ve spent.
I tend to agree with you. Star Wars is a still basically a kids universe to me. They've never quite made the jump to serious drama but have come close at times. There is nothing wrong with appealing to young people. Star Wars is a great franchise and very entertaining. I think part of the criticism is fans growing up and having changing expectations while Star Wars stays somewhat the same. The My3Sons who watched the original trilogy is far far removed from the current train wreck writing this post. You could say I saw those original movies in theaters a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I've come to terms with that and view current Star Wars things through that lens so I'm not overly critical.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I tend to agree with you. Star Wars is a still basically a kids universe to me. They've never quite made the jump to serious drama but have come close at times. There is nothing wrong with appealing to young people. Star Wars is a great franchise and very entertaining. I think part of the criticism is fans growing up and having changing expectations while Star Wars stays somewhat the same. The My3Sons who watched the original trilogy is far far removed from the current train wreck writing this post. You could say I saw those original movies in theaters a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I've come to terms with that and view current Star Wars things through that lens so I'm not overly critical.

Yeah, agreed. I’m more disappointed than angry. The proof point is when you ask a fan what their favorite movie is. I know some younglings who love the sequels. It’s fine, but they could’ve done something that appealed to all masses if they took their time. But Disney knows all SW is money making so they don’t care.

Plus, I have a personal vendetta against Kathleen Kennedy for years and her getting SW from Lucas was the last straw.

wife said the last episode is how the book ended.

So... they could try to do a spinoff i guess. but the way it ended seemed to be appropriate from my view
Thanks! On my list and was debating if it be a good watch. Was looking like that JK Simmons show a bit and that disappointed me.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah, agreed. I’m more disappointed than angry. The proof point is when you ask a fan what their favorite movie is. I know some younglings who love the sequels. It’s fine, but they could’ve done something that appealed to all masses if they took their time. But Disney knows all SW is money making so they don’t care.

Plus, I have a personal vendetta against Kathleen Kennedy for years and her getting SW from Lucas was that last straw.
I know there is some sort of subset of fans that have the weird "George Lucas stole my childhood" nonsense but I don't know what their grievances are. It's just light entertainment and shouldn't be core to your self worth even if you love the universe it is staged in. Harry Potter is the same thing to me. It needs to be fun and entertaining. Beyond that you are probably reading too much into it.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I know there is some sort of subset of fans that have the weird "George Lucas stole my childhood" nonsense but I don't know what their grievances are. It's just light entertainment and shouldn't be core to your self worth even if you love the universe it is staged in. Harry Potter is the same thing to me. It needs to be fun and entertaining. Beyond that you are probably reading too much into it.
Oh yeah, I don’t subscribed to that, that’s nonsense.

I was at a party once, with all adults mind you, and the host who’s a dear friend said, ”hey IAS likes SW, you’d guys would get along”. This guy proceeded to show me his IG account where he does lightsaber choreographed battles and tournaments and how “Lucas killed us and blah” and so on. He then invited me to these tourneys and I said “absolutely not”😁

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Oh yeah, I don’t subscribed to that, that’s nonsense.

I was at a party once, with all adults mind you, and the host who’s a dear friend said, ”hey IAS likes SW, you’d guys would get along”. This guy proceeded to show me his IG account where he does lightsaber choreographed battles and tournaments and how “Lucas killed us and blah” and so on. He then invited me to these tourneys and I said “absolutely not”😁
To each their own. If he wants to pretend to be a Jedi that's fine but he's got to know where to draw the line. If it ceases to be fun it's time to put down the lightsaber and find something else to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad