OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I think the best thing about SW as a universe is that it can be a vehicle for a lot of different things. The mainline films are fun fantasy stories for families to enjoy together, they don't need to be some pinnacle of storytelling. The old EU books that were retconned could be a whole host of things but were mostly a fun escape for teens and young adults as they were being released. I haven't read any of the books since Disney bought SW, but I know Zahn wrote some new Thrawn stories and I assume they're written for a similar audience. Mando can be a fun western series. Andor can be a gritty depressing crime drama for depressed adults. The cartoon about the jedi kids for children can just be for children.

the problems come out for all of these when they get too self-referential and the people that think they need to consume every piece of media and weigh it all against each other find anything that doesn't perfectly line up with every other damn thing ever written. I thought the same thing about the people complaining about the timeline on the blackboard in Fallout.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the best thing about SW as a universe is that it can be a vehicle for a lot of different things. The mainline films are fun fantasy stories for families to enjoy together, they don't need to be some pinnacle of storytelling. The old EU books that were retconned could be a whole host of things but were mostly a fun escape for teens and young adults as they were being released. I haven't read any of the books since Disney bought SW, but I know Zahn wrote some new Thrawn stories and I assume they're written for a similar audience. Mando can be a fun western series. Andor can be a gritty depressing crime drama for depressed adults. The cartoon about the jedi kids for children can just be for children.

the problems come out for all of these when they get too self-referential and the people that think they need to consume every piece of media and weigh it all against each other find anything that doesn't perfectly line up with every other damn thing ever written. I thought the same thing about the people complaining about the timeline on the blackboard in Fallout.
European Union books?

On an unrelated note, my youngest was at the soccer game last night and will be attending the Braves game today with some buddies. You should take him out to a nice dinner.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I tend to agree with this. Ultimately the rule of cool should matter more than all but the most egregious universe destroying retcons. I’m willing to buy even the dumbest explanations to hear a new cool story.

That’s why the move of timeline for The Acolyte seemed like fun. Get away from all the events where we know what happened and let writers be freer to tell cool stories.

I’d be more excited if SW was going to tell some story set 15,000 years before or after the current timelines where there are no Jedi or Sith than I would be for another story jammed in the middle of the 9 movies.

Find some people with cool stories and let them tell them. Sadly, I think Kennedy thinks she’s doing that, I just have a different taste in cool than she does.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Really enjoy where the Acolyte is going

Shame there is an organized campaign to attack the show from the first day

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
I haven't seen any of the disney+ star wars shows. I wouldn't say I'm super knowledgeable about the series at all but I've seen the movies. which shows are worth watching? all of em?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I haven't seen any of the disney+ star wars shows. I wouldn't say I'm super knowledgeable about the series at all but I've seen the movies. which shows are worth watching? all of em?
Depending on your level of interest and what kind of shows you like the answer could range from all of them to none of them.

I think the show with the highest quality was Andor but it’s more like a political/espionage thriller set in the Star Wars Universe that connects to the movies. So if you want something like the movies it’s not a good fit.

If you like Westerns and Star Wars then the Mandalorian would seem fun, I would think.

You get some Jedi action in Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, and The Acolyte but I think you may need a real love of Star Wars to really enjoy them.

Boba Fett was a side series to The Mandalorian and I think it’s the worst of the shows overall.

There are animated Lego specials which are goofy and aimed at kids but are good for Star Wars kids around whichever holiday is happened.

There are also a bunch of animated shows that may be some of the better quality shows.

———————-

I know that may not be super helpful but honestly, other than Andor and maybe early Mandalorian, the quality has been pretty hit or miss. If you love the Star Wars Universe then just getting more Star Wars is fun but if you aren’t that into Star Wars then I think the majority of shows may feel like a slog.

I love Star Wars so even the ones that objectively aren’t very good I find enjoyable enough so it can be difficult to give recommendations without bias.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'd say the only one not worth watching at all is Book of Boba Fett. The rest range from excellent to boring but inoffensive.

Great:
Andor (phenomenal, more prestige political drama than Star Wars)
The Mandalorian (season 1-2, really great action/adventure)

Pretty Good:
Bad Batch (really good, but it's computer animated with a cartoony style that isn't for everyone)
The Acolyte (ignore the online arguing, it's good)

Just Good:
Ahsoka (pretty solid, but some silly stuff)

Meh:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (some good stuff, a lot of boring filler)
The Mandalorian (season 3, went overboard with the silly comic book action and fan service)

Bad:
Book of Boba Fett (slow, boring, unnecessary fan service)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It is funny that the almost universal best Star Wars show on Disney+ is also the one that has very little “Star Wars” in it as a non-fan would imagine.

I think it’s a bit of an indictment that the shows get worse the more like Star Wars they become.

Disney, imo, needs some new voices in the room. Kennedy’s voice has been mostly a disaster and Filoni may have used/is using his best ideas.

If I was Disney, I’d be looking for someone to show up and give me a fun swashbuckling adventure. There are probably hundreds or thousands of people wanting to pitch for Star Wars so put in the work and find some good ones.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
Depending on your level of interest and what kind of shows you like the answer could range from all of them to none of them.

I think the show with the highest quality was Andor but it’s more like a political/espionage thriller set in the Star Wars Universe that connects to the movies. So if you want something like the movies it’s not a good fit.

If you like Westerns and Star Wars then the Mandalorian would seem fun, I would think.

You get some Jedi action in Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, and The Acolyte but I think you may need a real love of Star Wars to really enjoy them.

Boba Fett was a side series to The Mandalorian and I think it’s the worst of the shows overall.

There are animated Lego specials which are goofy and aimed at kids but are good for Star Wars kids around whichever holiday is happened.

There are also a bunch of animated shows that may be some of the better quality shows.

———————-

I know that may not be super helpful but honestly, other than Andor and maybe early Mandalorian, the quality has been pretty hit or miss. If you love the Star Wars Universe then just getting more Star Wars is fun but if you aren’t that into Star Wars then I think the majority of shows may feel like a slog.

I love Star Wars so even the ones that objectively aren’t very good I find enjoyable enough so it can be difficult to give recommendations without bias.
thank you and @AfroThunder396 for the detailed replies! I think I'm going to check out andor, mandalorian, maybe acolyte, and I have heard really great things about the bad batch.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
It is funny that the almost universal best Star Wars show on Disney+ is also the one that has very little “Star Wars” in it as a non-fan would imagine.

I think it’s a bit of an indictment that the shows get worse the more like Star Wars they become.

Disney, imo, needs some new voices in the room. Kennedy’s voice has been mostly a disaster and Filoni may have used/is using his best ideas.

If I was Disney, I’d be looking for someone to show up and give me a fun swashbuckling adventure. There are probably hundreds or thousands of people wanting to pitch for Star Wars so put in the work and find some good ones.
100%.

Disappointed that the Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron movie never took off but I thought that storyline with the old Dark Horse comic series as source material would be a great add as a show.

Personally, my favorite Clone Wars animated series episodes were the ones that focused on the clone troopers. On a rewatch, I skipped the most episodes related to the Jedi or senate stories.

An animated Han Solo smuggling days storyline could be fun if done right, other bounty hunters or even a quirky series based on peripheral characters like Star Trek Below Decks could be cool as well.

In a vast galaxy full of possibilities, focusing on the force, Jedi, Sith and other force wielders just doesn’t interest me anymore.

thank you and @AfroThunder396 for the detailed replies! I think I'm going to check out andor, mandalorian, maybe acolyte, and I have heard really great things about the bad batch.
For a Bad Batch lead in, you can watch the last season of Clone Wars.

Reactions: youryeah

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
100%.

Disappointed that the Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron movie never took off but I thought that storyline with the old Dark Horse comic series as source material would be a great add as a show.

Personally, my favorite Clone Wars animated series episodes were the ones that focused on the clone troopers. On a rewatch, I skipped the most episodes related to the Jedi or senate stories.

An animated Han Solo smuggling days storyline could be fun if done right, other bounty hunters or even a quirky series based on peripheral characters like Star Trek Below Decks could be cool as well.

In a vast galaxy full of possibilities, focusing on the force, Jedi, Sith and other force wielders just doesn’t interest me anymore.

For a Bad Batch lead in, you can watch the last season of Clone Wars.
God yeah I am so sad the rogue squadron movie never happened. I loved the games and it sounds like it would have been so fun of a movie

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_0761.jpeg

Another must watch entry from the saga

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Watch Andor last because it will ruin all the others from a little bit to a lot when you ask yourself why can't they make all the shows this good?!

Rankings for me:

Fantastic: Andor S1 peak story telling and character driven.

Really Good: Mando S1 is great fun for what it is - a weekly episodic serial adventure.

The rest all fall into a similar lump - some great things, some meh things, some lol are you kidding me things. None of them are terrible or ruin the season with a bad episode but overall you feel like you're watching TV for sure.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Agreed that Andor and the first season of Mandalorian are the best. Season 3 of Mandalorian and Ahsoka are good if you were a fan of The Clone Wars and Rebels series, but they do lean heavily on that prerequisite, so if you haven't seen them I don't think you're going to enjoy them as much. Boba Fett and Obi-Wan have some great scenes but overall are letdown by bad writing. Acolyte I'd put at the bottom so far. It has the same issues those latter shows have, but without the nostalgia factor those have just with their main characters (although you can argue whether Boba Fett is even the main character in his own show).

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I’ve watched Mandalorian which I enjoyed and Ahsoka which was solid and Obi Wan which was hit or miss. There was one moment in the season 2 finale of Mandalorian that was worth all the time I invested. As a first generation fan it was such a nice surprise.
Did you watch the two Mando episodes in Book of Boba Fett?

Two of my favorites

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Did you watch the two Mando episodes in Book of Boba Fett?

Two of my favorites
Yes I watched Book of Fett. I forgot to include that thanks for the reminder. It was decent. I liked seeing a different side of the character and fleshing him out a bit after being a cypher for so long. It’s funny I can’t specifically recall those two episodes that connected to Mandalorian. I really enjoyed the one where they introduced Ahsoka was that Mandalorian or Book of Fett? Also enjoyed the Waititi episode. Are they going to do more Mando shows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad