Player Discussion Conor Garland

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
lol

Still though, if he's walking to his vehicle to leave, is he stealing the cup? If he just got out of his vehicle, how the hell did he make the drive without spilling it all over the place? These are things I need to know.
Custom kuerig built into his car, poured into this cup from thermos when arrived, swell type cup with lid, maybe hes a big fan of Julian from Trailer Park Boys. I too demand answers though. Its been a long offseason

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I've been accused of being a dyed in the wool optimist at times, but Garland and Dickinson are my candidates for big leaps forward in their second years as Canucks.

Sometimes the first year of player coming to a new time and signing a big, shiny new contract, results in an 'off-year'. It happens to too many players for it just to be a coincidence.

Of course there's also a chance that the opposite happens-and they both end up on the trade block. But I guess that's why they play the games to find out.
50 ES points from the 2nd-ish line with an assortment of Dickinsonian wingers for 5 mil is exceptional.

I know the idea that he needs a "bounce back" year is a popular view and there are a lot of people who want to trade him for peanuts and cap space, but I think people aren't aware of what an ES beast he was, even with his ups and downs during the year.

Give him Miller's ES and PP1 ice time and staple him to a line with Podkolzin and a healthy Pettersson and I think he'd be a ppg winger.

Reactions: F A N

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
50 ES points from the 2nd-ish line with an assortment of Dickinsonian wingers for 5 mil is exceptional.
5v5 minutes

Dickenson was one of the guys he rarely played with.

Pearson, Pettersson, Horvat Miller all had 300-400 minutes with him. Podkolzin 288.

Dickinson 119, chiason 69 were next.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only way you're going to trade Garland is if you can get in return a legit, top-four d-man who shoots right handed.

Since the chances of that ever happening are hovering around 'zero', you keep Garland to see what he can do in his second season in VanCity.

I might be 'over-the-top' with optimism, but I just have a gut feeling that Garland, OEL and Dickinson will all be better in their second seasons with the Canucks. Last season was filled with so much upheaval, coaching and managerial changes, that these players seemed to have trouble at times adjusting to a new team.

But with a full training camp under Boudreau and more depth in the lineup, I think all these guys will start to show the form that was expected of them when they were acquired.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The only way you're going to trade Garland is if you can get in return a legit, top-four d-man who shoots right handed.

Since the chances of that ever happening are hovering around 'zero', you keep Garland to see what he can do in his second season in VanCity.

I might be 'over-the-top' with optimism, but I just have a gut feeling that Garland, OEL and Dickinson will all be better in their second seasons with the Canucks. Last season was filled with so much upheaval, coaching and managerial changes, that these players seemed to have trouble at times adjusting to a new team.

But with a full training camp under Boudreau and more depth in the lineup, I think all these guys will start to show the form that was expected of them when they were acquired.

redemption season for the guys mentioned above. especially dickinson.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

How can Dickon be worse? He's got nowhere to go but up.:laugh:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
lol

Still though, if he's walking to his vehicle to leave, is he stealing the cup? If he just got out of his vehicle, how the hell did he make the drive without spilling it all over the place? These are things I need to know.
I drive with a cup like all the time. Having said the you finish the coffee in like 5 min and would never hop out with it. So that just raises more questions.

Reactions: Hoglander

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I drive with a cup like all the time. Having said the you finish the coffee in like 5 min and would never hop out with it. So that just raises more questions.
Happened to me just the other day. I was taking my sweet-ass time in the morning, and I had just made a cup of tea when I got a text saying "I'm going to be a few minutes late for our meeting." Oh, crap! It was 9:50, and I had completely forgotten that I had a meeting at 10:00 at my office. I grabbed my cup of tea and bolted: no time to find a thermos or a cup with a lid (I usually finish my morning tea and make more when I get to work, so I rarely use such things.) I pulled out the precarious cup holder that folds out of my dash above the radio; while it is the perfect size for a soda can, with the low handle and widened base of my mug it rested at a significant tilt.

Somehow, I made it to the office without spilling a drop, despite having to navigate at least two big curves, a pothole, two speed bumps and a sloping gravel parking spot. I made it one minute before the person I was meeting, but in my rush to get out of the house with the tea as my number one priority, I forgot my laptop altogether and had to go back for it! D'oh!

And, uh, yeah, let's keep Garland if we can, I like what he brings to the table. And how he handles himself with a mug.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Happened to me just the other day. I was taking my sweet-ass time in the morning, and I had just made a cup of tea when I got a text saying "I'm going to be a few minutes late for our meeting." Oh, crap! It was 9:50, and I had completely forgotten that I had a meeting at 10:00 at my office. I grabbed my cup of tea and bolted: no time to find a thermos or a cup with a lid (I usually finish my morning tea and make more when I get to work, so I rarely use such things.) I pulled out the precarious cup holder that folds out of my dash above the radio; while it is the perfect size for a soda can, with the low handle and widened base of my mug it rested at a significant tilt.

Somehow, I made it to the office without spilling a drop, despite having to navigate at least two big curves, a pothole, two speed bumps and a sloping gravel parking spot. I made it one minute before the person I was meeting, but in my rush to get out of the house with the tea as my number one priority, I forgot my laptop altogether and had to go back for it! D'oh!

And, uh, yeah, let's keep Garland if we can, I like what he brings to the table. And how he handles himself with a mug.
What exactly is Garland hiding in that black armband he wears?o_O

Reactions: mathonwy

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Best part of this entire story is that you were almost late for a 10am.. 😅

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB

This was a wild ride lmao

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Did Garland move to the burbs so he can get rest and not be a tired angry elf?

Attachments

• Ul3wfS.gif
    Ul3wfS.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Imagine if that is what happened in that Garland pic. 10min before it was taken he was at home in his sweats, feet up on the couch about to watch TV and have some soup for lunch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I know the idea that he needs a "bounce back" year is a popular view and there are a lot of people who want to trade him for peanuts and cap space, but I think people aren't aware of what an ES beast he was, even with his ups and downs during the year.

Give him Miller's ES and PP1 ice time and staple him to a line with Podkolzin and a healthy Pettersson and I think he'd be a ppg winger.

His 49 ES points were terrific production for his usage, but he got there so strangely.

7 ES points in his first 6 games and 15 in his last 12 so his start/finish were like Connor McDavid stuff, but then had 27 ES points in his middle 59 games which is pretty pedestrian middle-6 results, and he was really largely invisible for a huge portion of the season.

I guess all 2nd line types are hot/cold but he was REALLY hot/cold and the way his hot streaks hit at the beginning/end of the season left an impression from the bulk of the year that he wasn't really that effective.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
His 49 ES points were terrific production for his usage, but he got there so strangely.

7 ES points in his first 6 games and 15 in his last 12 so his start/finish were like Connor McDavid stuff, but then had 27 ES points in his middle 59 games which is pretty pedestrian middle-6 results, and he was really largely invisible for a huge portion of the season.

I guess all 2nd line types are hot/cold but he was REALLY hot/cold and the way his hot streaks hit at the beginning/end of the season left an impression from the bulk of the year that he wasn't really that effective.
1663087906078.jpeg

Reactions: Vector and MS

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Wait a minute.

So you had 10 minutes to get to your office for a meeting and had time to:
  • Get out the door and into your vehicle
  • Drove through:
    • Atleast two big curves
    • A pothole
    • Two speed bumps
  • Park in a sloping gravel parking spot
  • Walk into the office
AND made it one minute before the person you were meeting?

Is your office at the end of the block? Otherwise that defines explanation.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
In 86-87 Skriko had a stretch where he scored 12 goals in 5 games and another stretch where he scored 9 goals in 5 games.

So 21 goals in 10 games, and then 12 in his other 66 games that season.

I was really curious if he was scoring against doormats. Short story, Canucks were the doormat.

That first 5 game run is crazy. He only scored in 4 of those games, had one 2-goal game, 2 hattricks, and a 4-goal game. The Canucks lost the 4 goal game 5-8. He only had 2 assists during that time frame and both came in an 11-5 victory over the Kings.

His 2nd 5 game run is a little more pedestrian. He also only scored in four of those games. Had one hattrick, and three 2-goal games. He did have 6 assists, including in the game he didn't score, over those 5 games. So he actually had more points (16 vs 14) in during this streak.

Reactions: Hit the post

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Wait a minute.

So you had 10 minutes to get to your office for a meeting and had time to:
  • Get out the door and into your vehicle
  • Drove through:
    • Atleast two big curves
    • A pothole
    • Two speed bumps
  • Park in a sloping gravel parking spot
  • Walk into the office
AND made it one minute before the person you were meeting?

Is your office at the end of the block? Otherwise that defines explanation.

I live in a small town, not a lot of traffic, work is a five minute drive from home. Arriving "one minute before" is not necessarily precise, but the guy I was meeting walked in right after I put my cup down on my desk. Note that the whole thing began with him texting me because he though he was going to be late (but really wasn't.)

But I'm glad it so clearly "defined explanation" for you, regardless of poetic license.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I live in a small town, not a lot of traffic, work is a five minute drive from home. Arriving "one minute before" is not necessarily precise, but the guy I was meeting walked in right after I put my cup down on my desk. Note that the whole thing began with him texting me because he though he was going to be late (but really wasn't.)

But I'm glad it so clearly "defined explanation" for you, regardless of poetic license.
Just stating the facts ma'am.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad