Post-Game Talk: Connoredemption!

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Am I in the wrong here? The guy has never made a pass in his life. Imagine being the best player on earth and one of your linemates who you're supposed to be banking pucks off of tries to do it all himself on every touch.

It's also no coincidence when you put a player capable of making passes there (Draisaitl) McDavid's 5 on 5 offence skyrockets. We need another playmaker on that line, RNH is soft as shit and Hyman is the definition of a puck hog.

Love how the team looks overall, Holloway replacing RNH or Hyman on that line seems to make a ton of sense.
You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

If you need any evidence about how McDavid appreciates all the little things Hyman does, watch his post-game interview on TNT.

Plus, the Oilers lines are humming right now. Yet because Hyman isn't perfect and RNH is "soft' despite playing three great playoff games in a row, you want to shake everything up?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Petrovic and Suter were in deep trouble, even Tanev and Lindell struggled. Will be tougher for them in next games when wear and tear comes to bite plus we get the home ice advantage in G3 and G4. Keep hitting them like there is no tomorrow. Noticed few times that their D-men were avoiding Kane and when he was then past the hitting chance, Holloway came out of nowhere and boom. Nice combo we have there.

McDavid has entered in this series and I am here for all that. Let's see if DeBoer has any answers.

This is one point I think a lot of people overlooked.

LA and Vancover's defence both have fantastic size and were super assertive. Dallas' defence is more like the Oil's, where size isn't an issue but they don't really look to beat you up physically.

There is no Zadorov, Soucy, Mikey Anderson, or Matt Roy type, that one guy that will go out of their way to give you an extra shot during (or after) the play.

Smart, but passive defence isn't how you contain McDavid, but outside of their top pairing, I'm not sure they have the skaters or size to force/keep McDrai and the others to the outside.

Calgary was the last playoff opponent they had who didn't focus on protecting the slot/net front, and we know how that went.

I mean, McDavid had more "all alone in front of the net" moments in just OT. than he has had in his last 5 playoff series combined.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I thought Connor Brown had a very strong game.

Skinner was basically spectacular in net as well.
Another strong game, that 4th line is a very reliable line that creates lots of O zone time and wears down the defense. I'd hate to take Brown or Ryan out when Henrique comes out but somebody has to come out, it certainly won't be Janmark or Carrick who, for me, should be mainstays on that 4th line for next season as well btw.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Is it a different goalie coach? If not wow I’ve been so wrong about Dusty
According to CBC...

"Skinner enlisted in the help of Adam Francilia to help him get his game back on track. According to the broadcast team - Francilia helped Skinner with, "they reformulated his stance [and] corrected some imbalances in how he was positioned.""

He also used to be the goalie consultant for the Sharks as we all as their farm team goalie coach before he branched out on his own

He also helped Mike Smith. According to Kevin Woodley, Francilia corrected Smith stance so he isn't on his belly all the time and freed up his hands by not having them locked to his side. Apparently- Smith had rally quick hands- but they were positioned poorly

It's not. This guy is more of a physiologist/kinesiologist/dash of sport psych. Works on movement patterns. Typically works with goalies in conjunction with their goalie coach.
Not quite. He also works on mechanics for better movement and flow. He worked with Smith also and changed his positioning. Same with Skinner.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Am I in the wrong here? The guy has never made a pass in his life. Imagine being the best player on earth and one of your linemates who you're supposed to be banking pucks off of tries to do it all himself on every touch.

It's also no coincidence when you put a player capable of making passes there (Draisaitl) McDavid's 5 on 5 offence skyrockets. We need another playmaker on that line, RNH is soft as shit and Hyman is the definition of a puck hog.

Love how the team looks overall, Holloway replacing RNH or Hyman on that line seems to make a ton of sense.
You don't think winning a board battle in the corners or behind the net is a pass?
Do you watch the games? Your statement suggests you watch but likely don't compute the game in it's entirety properly

You have any idea how many points McD has generated from Hyman getting him a puck down low and then a couple touches later it goes in?. McD gets a point, Hyman doesn't.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Another strong game, that 4th line is a very reliable line that creates lots of O zone time and wears down the defense. I'd hate to take Brown or Ryan out when Henrique comes out but somebody has to come out, it certainly won't be Janmark or Carrick who, for me, should be mainstays on that 4th line for next season as well btw.
I bet it’s Carrick.

Reactions: McDoused

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
It was easier for the OIl to slice through their D than the Canucks. Just not converting most of those chances.
With a few more powerplays (evened out), this one was over by the third, but Gary kept them in it.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This is one point I think a lot of people overlooked.

LA and Vancover's defence both have fantastic size and were super assertive. Dallas' defence is more like the Oil's, where size isn't an issue but they don't really look to beat you up physically.

There is no Zadorov, Soucy, Mikey Anderson, or Matt Roy type, that one guy that will go out of their way to give you an extra shot during (or after) the play.

Smart, but passive defence isn't how you contain McDavid, but outside of their top pairing, I'm not sure they have the skaters or size to force/keep McDrai and the others to the outside.

Calgary was the last playoff opponent they had who didn't focus on protecting the slot/net front, and we know how that went.

I mean, McDavid had more "all alone in front of the net" moments in just OT. than he has had in his last 5 playoff series combined.
This is a great point. Hyman was pretty neutralized that whole series by Zaddy and Myers. He got rubbed out almost every play.

Last nite he was able to work the boards alot more

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Fun game, great win.

However...

At some point, the Oilers are going to have to actually hold onto a 2-goal lead and win comfortably.

Third period shots were 9-1 Edmonton before a random nothing point shot ping pongs right to Seguin staring at an open cage. Really don't know what else they're supposed to do.

The Oilers are blowing leads this run but its mostly been due to divine intervention.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This is a great point. Hyman was pretty neutralized that whole series by Zaddy and Myers. He got rubbed out almost every play.

Last nite he was able to work the boards alot more
Dallas just does not strike me as very fast or physical team. They are a skilled team, which also has a lot of guys in their 30s. It's skill vs skill even strength, and special teams will be super important.

Is this Skinner goalie coach talk legit? He looks like a different goalie

Also, 3-0 since they sat Perry. I'm sure he's still good to have around at practice but he's cooked and should retire after this.
Skinner goes through stretches where he fancies himself Brodeur. Was like that yesterday.

Reactions: McDoused

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Said this after Game 7, we just saw the first signs from Skinner that this could happen. Sharp as f*** tonight:

Best part of tonight and I know half these boards will hate this take. But this could be huge for Skinnners confidence. The best Stu we saw all year was when he beat Fuhr’s all time record. We all saw it, he was sharp as f*** during that streak. If he gets to that level again, we willl be fine in net moving forward.
Said in the GDT. Dallas' offence plays into Skinner's strength. They don't cause chaos and when he plays big, he's hard to beat.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Wonder what Jay Woodcroft is thinking rn
dodgeball-ben-stiller.gif

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Actually don't disagree with Hyman being a poor passer, but that's not his role and as for RNH being soft, this mfer clearly didn't see him outwork two Stars to get the pass over to Bouch on the GWG, not to mention all the work he's done on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad