Connor McDavid with 91 pts in last 84 games

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Chia is going with the "lets shore up grit and defense and any offense he provides is just gravy" approach rather than trying to find guys that would compliment his game. Lucic and Maroon can put up points with him but it's still all McDavid.

If he had someone like Saad on his wing who can play the game at the same speed and had finishing ability he'd be a 130 point player.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
So how many did he actually have in his first 82 games? And how many did other superstars have?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Somewhat beneath his insane expectations. A lot of people expected 120+ but in this NHL that may not be feasible, or he's just not quite that caliber yet.
The internet is a big place, so you'll probably find someone, but I'm fairly confident saying that nobody with a clue expected 125 points from McDavid as a rookie on EDM. Maybe on TBL or PIT. Maybe. But nobody with a clue thought 120+ on that squad.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Needs 10 points in the next 5 games to hit 100 career points before his 20th birthday. Only 20 players in the history of NHL has done that to date.

Think he can break out of his current slump big time in the next few days and do that?

Probably not, but it depends. I think he's been overworked (21+mins TOI/game) and looks a little sluggish of late because of it. Either that or he tweaked something because his skating hasn't looked as good as it usually does. If he can get some support or line mates that actually click with him he might be able to, but he's had Lucic and Eberle jammed down his throat all season by McLellan and Eberle's shooting and finishing ability is extremely off this year (6 non-empty net goals through 39 games playing mostly with McDavid). If he gets Maroon and a fast winger on his other side he could break the slump and go on a streak, but we'll have to see.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Breaking PPG pace in his first full season's worth of games in the NHL isn't insane good? He's having the best "rookie season" (combined in this case) since Crosby/Ovechkin.

It's moreso that we were hoping for more. I was hoping his blinding speed and vision would enable him to be better than Crosby, and the best player to enter the league in 30 years.

I don't know what Crosby's 120 point sophomore season would be like today, but if I had to make a safe guess, I'd say at least 100 points today. That's what I hope from McDavid this season. He can still do it, but he's gotta produce better than now. Anything less than 100 points is a disappointing season for me.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Matthews > McDavid

Am I doing this right??

But honestly, this is probably considered an 'off year' for McDavid. He will get a lot more points than that. I don't like the Oilers but I hope they find a way to build a contender so we can witness McDavid at his best

It's his second year. He's still showing us what an 'on year' is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So how many did he actually have in his first 82 games? And how many did other superstars have?

90P after 82. Most of any player since Malkin scored 90P in his first 82 (as a 20+21 year old in 06-07 and the first 4 games of 07-08). Albeit Malkin doing it was far less impressive given where he ranked among his peers in scoring at the time in comparison.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Breaking PPG pace in his first full season's worth of games in the NHL isn't insane good? He's having the best "rookie season" (combined in this case) since Crosby/Ovechkin.

Comparing rookie seasons over a two season stretch doesn't seem very fair. Backstrom has 44 points through 39 games in his second season, and Stamkos had 39 points with 21 goals.

Sure its unfair to compare McDavid's last 39 games to these players since the other players had a full season under their belt but to call it anything remotely close to a rookie season is wrong.

JA

Just delaying the inevitable.
23-year-old Nikita Kucherov has actually outscored McDavid in his last 84 games: 39 goals, 93 points in his last 84 regular season games.

Kucherov has 40 points in 33 games so far in 2016-17. That's a points-per-game ratio of 1.21.

McDavid has 43 points in 39 games in 2016-17, a points-per-game ratio of 1.10. Kucherov trails him by only three points in six fewer games played.

Before he even thinks about coming close to Crosby, he has to outplay Kucherov.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
90P after 82. Most of any player since Malkin scored 90P in his first 82 (as a 20+21 year old in 06-07 and the first 4 games of 07-08). Albeit Malkin doing it was far less impressive given where he ranked among his peers in scoring at the time in comparison.

explain?

People just showed that McDavid was in in the company of kuch. So he ranks with Kuch

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Comparing rookie seasons over a two season stretch doesn't seem very fair. Backstrom has 44 points through 39 games in his second season, and Stamkos had 39 points with 21 goals.

Sure its unfair to compare McDavid's last 39 games to these players since the other players had a full season under their belt but to call it anything remotely close to a rookie season is wrong.

Backstrom was also 21 a month and a half into his 2nd season and only ended up 10th in league scoring, while Stamkos was 5th in scoring in his 2nd season. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure PP's per game was still way up in 08-09 and 09-10 compared to they are today.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
McDavid was PPG his rookie season, and leads the league in points as a 19 year old. The kid is only going to get better. But if you expected 120 points right off the bat your expectations are way too high. He'll be a good one.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
His statistical peak is likely coming within the next 3 seasons, especially considering his game is 100% speed based. What kind of separation from the pack are people expecting? I don't see it being the same kind of dominance Crosby/Ovechkin showed at those ages but I hope he proves me wrong.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.

What? I'm sorry, but how can it be more impressive for someone who's expected to produce at that level?

Malkin was obviously expected to be a force on the ice but he wasn't touted nearly as high as McDavid.

McDavid is also 3rd in P/GP. Malkin was 19th.

This is the kind of stuff that will drive people away. There's already boneheads giving McDavid crap for his postgame comments against the Flyers. He's a fantastic player, competing with the very best.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His statistical peak is likely coming within the next 3 seasons, especially considering his game is 100% speed based. What kind of separation from the pack are people expecting? I don't see it being the same kind of dominance Crosby/Ovechkin showed at those ages but I hope he proves me wrong.

Based on what? And please don't tell me you're going to use Crosby as an example because his career was clearly derailed by injury and the way they called penalties in the league has changed immensely from when he came into the league.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What? I'm sorry, but how can it be more impressive for someone who's expected to produce at that level?

Malkin was obviously expected to be a force on the ice but he wasn't touted nearly as high as McDavid.

McDavid is also 3rd in P/GP. Malkin was 19th.

This is the kind of stuff that will drive people away. There's already boneheads giving McDavid crap for his postgame comments against the Flyers. He's a fantastic player, competing with the very best.

Because I'm not talking about expectations? I'm talking about what the players actually did out on the ice. Not sure what you're trying to argue here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad