Connor McDavid will go down as the 2nd best player of all-time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Absolutely insane that someone is claiming Marc Andre Fleury "stole the series" in 2009 lol.
Learn how to read. I quite clearly specifically said "game 6 and 7"

Strawman of the year award goes to...

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Sorry. Stole 50% of the series.
Invalidates your entire post. You literally needed someone to have made such a ridiculous argument in order to make that flex, and no one actually did, so you made something up in order to justify it.

Like, I don't even think the strawman would want to argue with you on that one...not even he would say something that outrageous.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Is it because of goaltending he's been behind Kucherov x2, Draisaitl and Mackinnon etc as well? Because that is a much bigger issue than not scoring 200+ points if you want to go "there"

Edmonton's powerplay numbers are the best recently, but all powerplays have went up in the past five years, the past five years powerplay rates of various teams represents itself very well in the list of top powerplay rates since they were recorded in the late seventies.

McDavid hits 150, Kucherov and MacKinnon hit 140 the very next year.

The fact of the matter there has never been a kindler, gentler, time to be a superstar today. They've gotten rid of more obstruction, slashing, hooking, holding, than I can remember. Teams don't really even hit so much, it's all stick checks. To top it off, empty net goals are more frequent than ever, Al Iafrate would be appalled.

Then there is the entire gameplan of loading up top units nowadays, to a far greater degree than before, especially the Gretzky/Lemieux times when depth scoring was way higher, and Edmonton really loads up their top unit.

So when people go on about how shitty the goalies were (yeah they sucked compared to today) or defenses (this one I'd challenge more, a lot teams were more offense focused anyway, and even if you grant teams having better structure today, all these guys can do is stick check, no shadows grabbing the jerseys these days).

Keep the rankings of McDavid only with others in his soft era, it's incommensurable with hockey in the past anyway.

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Edmonton's powerplay numbers are the best recently, but all powerplays have went up in the past five years, the past five years powerplay rates of various teams represents itself very well in the list of top powerplay rates since they were recorded in the late seventies.

McDavid hits 150, Kucherov and MacKinnon hit 140 the very next year.

The fact of the matter there has never been a kindler, gentler, time to be a superstar today. They've gotten rid of more obstruction, slashing, hooking, holding, than I can remember. Teams don't really even hit so much, it's all stick checks. To top it off, empty net goals are more frequent than ever, Al Iafrate would be appalled.

Then there is the entire gameplan of loading up top units nowadays, to a far greater degree than before, especially the Gretzky/Lemieux times when depth scoring was way higher, and Edmonton really loads up their top unit.

So when people go on about how shitty the goalies were (yeah they sucked compared to today) or defenses (this one I'd challenge more, a lot teams were more offense focused anyway, and even if you grant teams having better structure today, all these guys can do is stick check, no shadows grabbing the jerseys these days).

Keep the rankings of McDavid only with others in his soft era, it's incommensurable with hockey in the past anyway.
Yet at the same time the league has never called as few penalties as in the last few years. 10 of the 10 lowest PPO seasons in league history are from the last 10 seasons.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Yet at the same time the league has never called as few penalties as in the last few years. 10 of the 10 lowest PPO seasons in league history are from the last 10 seasons.

Right, players today don't even take penalties. Part of it is that these group of players is bought up on the no hooking/no holding/no little slashing tip from the get go, unlike say the early new NHL where you had many players from the old style who had to adjust. It's all skill (and no fun :/)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I put very little stock in public opinion. It's disingenuous as a MFer. Public opinion will tell you that the best three season stretch by either player is a run where the player in question played less than half the games. It's an opinion based on make believe.
I'm talking about all time which is what this thread is about and I'm not just relying on opinions but rather facts not just selective ones and narrow biased ones.

The other fanbois who disagreed up thread sounded like the other crazy raging lunatic from Washington and didn't come to the table with very much just a rant.3 years peaks matter but so do primes, playoffs, 2 way okay ect...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sure that is still a Big 6 compared to the field right?

Goalies aside.
The 6 aren't interchangeable, so not really.

I'm talking about all time which is what this thread is about and I'm not just relying on opinions but rather facts not just selective ones and narrow biased ones.

The other fanbois who disagreed up thread sounded like the other crazy raging lunatic from Washington and didn't come to the table with very much just a rant.3 years peaks matter but so do primes, playoffs, 2 way okay ect...
What facts? It's all opinion.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
In this thread, you can see the progression unfold in real time where more and more people are entertaining the possibility and it’s only been sixteen months. Think about what an Oilers comeback and the remainder of his career will do.

41 points and counting in a playoff run. 4th most ever.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
In this thread, you can see the progression unfold in real time where more and more people are entertaining the possibility and it’s only been sixteen months. Think about what an Oilers comeback and the remainder of his career will do.

41 points and counting in a playoff run. 4th most ever.
If he wins this then this would be bigger than the Cavs winning in 2016.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
McDavid vs Ovechkin needs to be a poll.

Ovechkin is getting forgotten in top players of all time.

If he wills his team from an 0-3 hole in the SCF and playing like he has been, it would be one of the greatest individual efforts I've ever seen in a playoff series.
It would be the ultimate comeback.

And I'm unsure if/how Florida could recover from something like that.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The Oilers are a 2 game win streak away from the title of this thread becoming fact.
I love McDavid but come on lol he doesn’t even have 1000 pts yet. Long way away from that discussion of #2 ever. Top 10-15 can be made already and he still has a lot of hockey to be played. Good chance he replaces Howe on hockeys Mount Rushmore (top 4) by the end of his career. Gretzky and Lemieux #1 and 2 forwards of all time no question. Orr best defenceman of all time no question. Howe was great but without the longevity is he really in the same conversation as these other guys?? only put up 100 points once.

McDavid vs Ovechkin needs to be a poll.

Ovechkin is getting forgotten in top players of all time.
All time it’s still ovechkin. give it a few years McDavid hasn’t hit 1000 pts yet. Ovi has almost his career points in goals right now. Lots of hockey to be played

Reactions: ruaware41

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If he wills his team from an 0-3 hole in the SCF and playing like he has been, it would be one of the greatest individual efforts I've ever seen in a playoff series.
It would be one of the greatest efforts I've seen in sports. Though I think the Oilers have had more guys than just him playing well. Bizarre as it sounds, credit to Connor Brown and Stuart Skinner.

Reactions: PB37 and ruaware41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad