Connor McDavid will go down as the 2nd best player of all-time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I find it funny that winning championships matters for every sport except for hockey and McDavid.
The value of winning championships gets somewhat diluted with all these leagues growing so much, though.

There was a much greater probability for Howe to win the cup than it is for today's players.

Haha, time to start posting controversial opinions about Kirk McLean!
Tell us more :D

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Really how so?

It clearly shows Mario with a significant advantage but I guess one can always bash adjusted stats because they don't line up with a preconceived POV?

One of those “seasons” was 56 games to start with.. but yes, you can almost always trash adjusted stats if your point of view is having read and understood all the problems with them that have been demonstrated here for years and years on end..

Reactions: WalterLundy

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
When he loses that explosive speed due to age we will see how it affects him.
You mean, if he loses that explosive speed.

Mike Gartner won the fastest skater comp at 36. Guys like Marchant, Cogliano, Chimera were all average players that lasted into their late 30s because they were still speed demons.

Reactions: RegDunlop

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
You mean, if he loses that explosive speed.

Mike Gartner won the fastest skater comp at 36. Guys like Marchant, Cogliano, Chimera were all average players that lasted into their late 30s because they were still speed demons.

It isn't a matter of if, it is a matter of when.. father time is undefeated.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Why do you keep ignoring the Osgood/Lundqvist question? Is it because you realize your entire argument falls apart?

And yes, anyone who follows hockey knows who a recent HoF inductee is. Sure of a hell lot more than a random average player who’s won a cup
I seem to have touched a nerve.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
One of those “seasons” was 56 games to start with.. but yes, you can almost always trash adjusted stats if your point of view is having read and understood all the problems with them that have been demonstrated here for years and years on end..
You are letting the "perfect" get in the way of a pretty decent metric that gives a pretty good ballpark comparison between different offensive seasons post expansion and definitely by the early 70s.

crossicepass

Sep 7, 2008
I didn't read through all the comments so I ask your forbearance if this has already come up.

Not all that long ago (2015-16) at the age of 43, Jaromir Jagr had 27 goals and 66 pts in 79 games for The Panthers and was a +23. Any NHL team today would gladly take that from a top 6 winger.

Jagr accrued those lofty numbers against Jonathan Quick, Henrik Lundqvist, Sergei Bobrovsky, Carey Price and Marc Andre Fleury and Martin Jones et. al.

None of the aforementioned could be described as slow, small, unathletic, and lacking technique.

I wonder what a 25 to 30 year old Jagr might have done in 15/16? One assumes he surpasses 27/66.

The point being that Jagr has said himself that even in his natural prime... he was no Mario Lemeiux.

Ask yourself then what prime Lemeiux does in 15/16? And make no mistake 15/16 should be considered as part of 'the modern era'.

Now I see Connor McDavid do things that amaze me nearly EVERY SINGLE GAME and I have no doubt that he's going to win Cups and go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game. But I've never seen the likes of Mario Lemieux.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Publicly posting as a History regular that @Hockey Outsider speaks for me on any issues, past, present, or future.
Reading his post on this subject, I think he can speak for me as well.

I didn't read through all the comments so I ask your forbearance if this has already come up.

Not all that long ago (2015-16) at the age of 43, Jaromir Jagr had 27 goals and 66 pts in 79 games for The Panthers and was a +23. Any NHL team today would gladly take that from a top 6 winger.

Jagr accrued those lofty numbers against Jonathan Quick, Henrik Lundqvist, Sergei Bobrovsky, Carey Price and Marc Andre Fleury and Martin Jones et. al.

None of the aforementioned could be described as slow, small, unathletic, and lacking technique.

I wonder what a 25 to 30 year old Jagr might have done in 15/16? One assumes he surpasses 27/66.

The point being that Jagr has said himself that even in his natural prime... he was no Mario Lemeiux.

Ask yourself then what prime Lemeiux does in 15/16? And make no mistake 15/16 should be considered as part of 'the modern era'.

Now I see Connor McDavid do things that amaze me nearly EVERY SINGLE GAME and I have no doubt that he's going to win Cups and go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game. But I've never seen the likes of Mario Lemieux.
You're pro rating a 43 year old jagr against his opinion of Mario lemieux. Interesting

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It isn't a matter of if, it is a matter of when.. father time is undefeated.
Well obviously he will retire at some point. 🙄

But for example if McDavid doesn't start losing his legs until he's 37 well than its not really going to impact the legacy of his career.

Reactions: Macheteops

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Mario and Conner were the most amazing players I've seen, along with Bure. Wayne is the GOAT, slightly above Mario.

Reactions: RegDunlop

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I seem to have touched a nerve.
It’s hilarious when a person won’t answer a simple question and then claim they’ve won a debate.

Who do you think is rated higher, Osgood or Lundqvist? Who has more prestige?

And if you think it’s Osgood, why isn’t he in the HoF ? Why does he make zero “all time great” NHL lists?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
My gut feeling is that you have the right ranges here for them all.

Then again, who knows? It was only a few years ago all the kids were saying that 150 points was utterly impossible because players and goaltenders were bionic superheroes now and therefore Crosby was literally the best hockey player of all time and he'd score 300 points a season in the 80s and 90s against the beerleaguers.

The reality is that Crosby, while the best player in the league during his prime, was not on the same level. Talent and scoring levels ebb and flow and rules etc. change so you never know.. I know it is hard for people who have never seen Lemieux and Gretzky at their actual bests to understand just how special they were, but now McDavid is showing that sometimes there is an "it" factor that transcends all the training and systems and stuff that people were blabbing about the past 20 years when we didn't have one of the players with "it".
A few years ago league scoring was much lower and goalie pads were much bigger. Today's McDavid wouldn't hit 150+ in 2010-16 either.

Adjusting for era Crosby and McDavid are actually quite close offensively. Era adjusted through 600 games, McDavid has 125 points per 82 games, Crosby has 121. Crosby lead the NHL in points per game 6 years in a row, he just had to deal with serious injuries. The first half of his career was in a much rougher NHL. And Crosby's overall game much better. Heck Marchand thinks Crosby is the best even today.

Marchand stated, “A lot of the attention is on the younger guys, but if you look at the details of the game, and full 200 feet, he’s by far the best player in the league, him and (MacKinnon).”

"He’s direct. He plays safe but he plays hard and direct. He plays a winning game"

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
A few years ago league scoring was much lower and goalie pads were much bigger. Today's McDavid wouldn't hit 150+ in 2010-16 either.

Adjusting for era Crosby and McDavid are actually quite close offensively. Era adjusted through 600 games, McDavid has 125 points per 82 games, Crosby has 121. Crosby lead the NHL in points per game 6 years in a row, he just had to deal with serious injuries. The first half of his career was in a much rougher NHL. And Crosby's overall game much better. Heck Marchand thinks Crosby is the best even today.

Marchand stated, “A lot of the attention is on the younger guys, but if you look at the details of the game, and full 200 feet, he’s by far the best player in the league, him and (MacKinnon).”

"He’s direct. He plays safe but he plays hard and direct. He plays a winning game"

Marchand and Crosby are buddies and train together in the offseason (along with Mackinnon). Of course he's going to think and speak highly of his Nova Scotian buddies. I wouldn't put too much stock in that, he's just talking up his friends as friends like to do.

Reactions: Macheteops

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
And that’s fine. And it says nothing about his ability as a hockey player.
It does. There's a reason nearly every top player in every sport wins. If he cheats for offense, the rest of his team isn't going to play hard two way hockey either.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad