Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petri1981

Dec 20, 2013
From what I've seen I consider Eichel to be the better player so im really curious about this case also. I think its just that canadian players get more hype in general.

But anyways, right now i'd draft eichel #1. The perfect franchise player to build around.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
That's so ridiculous. You actually think scouts would pick someone over someone else because one is Canadian and the other isn't.

McDavid is considered better because he is better.

It's not ridiculous at all, people can be biased about all kinds of things and hockey it's that Canadian are just superior especially compared to Americans and historically that has been true except this time. Theres also the bias that CHL is better than NCAA but I think Eichel dominating against men is much more impressive than McDavid dominating against kids.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
One is Canadian and has been playing in the CHL since he was 16, the other is American and was playing in the USHL until this year.

This feels somewhat similar to Ovechkin/Malkin, aside from the nationality issues all about. Ovechkin was in the spotlight for years while Malkin was this sort of unknown entity until his draft year. Eichel's hype has existed before this year, but obviously the hype machine is different playing in the USHL than the OHL.

And yes, the perception gap is narrowing as the year goes on just like Ovechkin/Malkin.

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid isn't considered to be 'so much better'. Many scouts have said the gap is very small and some might even prefer Eichel.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's simple.

MacDavid has been a special player for many more years. And then so far in his draft year, he is putting up points that even surpass Sid.

So most people are thinking that he "could" be the next Sid....and that would be something.

Fwiw, I think Eichel is a bigger presence in the ice from what I have seen of both.

And yes...I am Canadian!

Edit:and living in Halifax...the noise on Eichel was he could be as good as MacKinnon. (Halifax had his rights at one point)

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
McDavid isn't considered to be 'so much better'. Many scouts have said the gap is very small and some might even prefer Eichel.

this, is the people on the boards that are pushing how much better McDavid is, especially after his hot start, before he broke his hand.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
While I do think McDavid is better, some Canadians act like McDavid is better than two Eichel's put together which is just ludicrous. Eichel is close and whoever gets him is getting a wonderful player.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
It's simple.

MacDavid has been a special player for many more years. And then so far in his draft year, he is putting up points that even surpass Sid.

So most people are thinking that he "could" be the next Sid....and that would be something.

Fwiw, I think Eichel is a bigger presence in the ice from what I have seen of both.

And yes...I am Canadian!

only in a small sample size not in his career in the chl or even in a total season, only his pace that surpass sid. pace can change very fast, let's see his ppg at the end of the year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
only in a small sample size not in his career in the chl or even in a total season, only his pace that surpass sid. pace can change very fast, let's see his ppg at the end of the year.

I know....I am referring to this year. MacDavid is on a better pace than Sid was in his draft year. You could see why scouts would get excited over that.

Don't worry...I was not putting down the beloved Sid. Lol

Oct 18, 2011
I don't believe it to be nationality based.
I believe it to be an issue where mcdavid has been pegged as the no.1 pick here for 3 years or so and people have it locked in their minds it wont change

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't think scouts are rating these two players because of nationality.

McDavid is a phenom. He has been the #1 guy for this draft class for years. Just because Eichel has become a great prospect, doesn't mean he can overtake McDavid.
McDavid is putting up 3 points a game in his draft year, better than Crosby, has been compared to Crosby (by Crosby himself by the way). He has elite vision, elite passing, elite skating, elite hockey IQ, elite puck handling skills. He is considered a generational talent. With all that, why would he drop to #2 behind Eichel because Eichel became a great prospect?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
While I do think McDavid is better, some Canadians act like McDavid is better than two Eichel's put together which is just ludicrous. Eichel is close and whoever gets him is getting a wonderful player.

Some Americans act like Eichel is clearly better and that Canadians are just being biased if they pick McDavid over Eichel...(cuz ncdoublea iz so much butter than the chl its like ahl or khl quality derr).

It's not ridiculous at all, people can be biased about all kinds of things and hockey it's that Canadian are just superior especially compared to Americans and historically that has been true except this time. Theres also the bias that CHL is better than NCAA but I think Eichel dominating against men is much more impressive than McDavid dominating against kids.

It's absolutely ridiculous. If Eichel was better, he would be considered better. The only country that may affect your draft status is Russia.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Some Americans act like Eichel is clearly better and that Canadians are just being biased if they pick McDavid over Eichel...(cuz ncdoublea iz so much butter than the chl its like ahl or khl quality derr).

It's absolutely ridiculous. If Eichel was better, he would be considered better. The only country that may affect your draft status is Russia.
I haven't seen these posts.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hype?
On paper isn't Eichel the prototypical player you would want to try and build around?
It seems like McDavid is basically considered the lock to go first but what is Eichel lacking in his game, that prevents him from being rated number 1

I don't think the difference is quite as much as people make it out to be. I don't buy into the McDavid hype. He'll be talented, but Eichel is still right up there with him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
His intelligence is off the charts. He's simply a smarter player, and more skilled in my opinion. That is not to say Eichel is an unintelligent player - he's not. That's simply testament to how good McDavid is. Eichel has really impressed me today, while McDavid hasn't been overly impressive today, but that's just one game (not even half way done yet for Canada).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Where exactly are those posts? I sure haven't seen them.

Arguing that Eichel is in the same realm as McDavid isn't the same as beating one's shoe against their own head and shouting nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad