Connor McDavid: 150 Points Watch (32GP: 53 Points - 135.8 Pace (1.66 PPG))

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Playoffs:

1.04ppg McDavid
1.12ppg Kucherov

Only major difference is that Kucherov is on actually good team that's made deep playoff runs. 21 GP vs 113 GP.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Now do playoffs.......
moving%20goals.jpg

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Lol He should win this thing but I'm not so sure he's all that generational when the gap between first and second is only a few points. Some people were projecting him to hit 150 points, which was unrealistic but anything below 120 would be a disappointment considering he's in the prime of his career.

That’s because Gretzky and Mario (particularly Gretzky) skewed your perception. If a player can only be considered truly generational from here on out if they win scoring titles year in and year out by 30-80 points, then we’re likely going to be waiting quite a long time.

Who cares if some people were projecting 150? These are the same people who thought that 100 points last season due to McDavid’s play up to that point combined with the unique circumstances was impossible. These people have little capacity for critical thinking as to why something could or could not be accomplished.

We have a guy about to win his 4th Art Ross, which means only Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Esposito, and Jagr have more and has been top 2 in scoring 6 consecutive years, along with the smattering of other hardware he’s won, and you’re pondering his generational eligibility? A year after winning the Art Ross by 21 points over his teammate (25%) and 36 points over his closest non-teammate (52%)? It seems like he’s beginning to pull away this season.

See what’s happening in front of you and look ahead just a little bit. Assuming he remains healthy, do you really need to see McDavid officially win more more Art Ross trophies than anyone not named Wayne Gretzky to declare him generational?

Last edited:
Reactions: ManicTouch and TB12

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
That’s because Gretzky and Mario (particularly Gretzky) skewed your perception. If a player can only be considered truly generational from here on out if they win scoring titles year in and year out by 30-80 points, then we’re likely going to be waiting quite a long time.

Who cares if some people were projecting 150? These are the same people who thought that 100 points last season due to McDavid’s play up to that point combined with the unique circumstances was impossible. These people have little capacity for critical thinking as to why something could or could not be accomplished.

We have a guy about to win his 4th Art Ross, which means only Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Esposito, and Jagr have more and has been too 2 in scoring 6 consecutive years, along with the smattering of other hardware he’s won, and you’re pondering his generational eligibility? A year after winning the Art Ross by 21 points over his teammate (25%) and 36 points over his closest non-teammate (52%)? It seems like he’s beginning to pull away this season.

See what’s happening in front of you and look ahead just a little bit. Assuming he remains healthy, do you really need to see McDavid officially win more more Art Ross trophies than anyone not named Wayne Gretzky to declare him generational?

He needs 33 points in the remaining 17 games to tie it. I don't think it's very likely.

He has 16 in his last 10, which works out to 27 points to finish the year.

It's still possible, but I think he ends up in the 115-120 category.
Woops, I took his points pace from the thread title. He could do it but it's a tall order.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Playoffs:

1.04ppg McDavid
1.12ppg Kucherov

Only major difference is that Kucherov is on actually good team that's made deep playoff runs. 21 GP vs 113 GP.
McDavid would have more playoff games by now if he played a committed team 200 ft game, and wasn't a locker room cancer

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know they are.
But my team sucks in the playoffs, so I have to be happy about the regular season.
At least it's not the days of shitty regular season and shitty playoffs.
I do enjoy the idea that we're now not supposed to even care about the regular season or how players perform during it. Gretzky never won a cup without Messier, and outside of those 4 cups all he has are a bunch of meaningless regular season records, why do we even care? Ovechkin breaking Gretzky's record doesn't matter anymore, he did it during 1500 MEANINGLESS hockey games. Who gives a shit?

I swear 80% of this board doesn't even enjoy hockey. Hockey fans care about regular season hockey games, it makes up like 90% of what we watch every year. The take that only the playoffs matter is such a braindead, lazy thing to say, and I assume those that say it have completely lost touch with why they became hockey fans in the first place (unless it was so that they could say "ha ha I win" to others when their team finally wins a cup).

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
With two helpers tonight, McDavid just became the 8th player in NHL history to reach 60+ assists in six consecutive seasons:
  1. Adam Oates - six years (1989 to 1994)
  2. Bernie Federko - six years (1981 to 1986)
  3. Bobby Orr - six years (1970 to 1975)
  4. Guy Lafleur - six years (1975 to 1980)
  5. Henrik Sedin - six years (2007 to 2012)
  6. Peter Stastny - six years (1981 to 1986)
  7. Wayne Gretzky - thirteen(!) years (1980 to 1992)
It's incredible that McDavid has kept the streak going despite two of these years being shortened by COVID (and playing in a much lower-scoring league than anyone listed above except Sedin). If McDavid reaches 60 assists next year (seven years in a row), that'll be something that only Gretzky has ever topped.

Note - Oates was on pace to have his streak last ten years (he had 41 assists in 48 games during the 1995 lockout-shortened season). Ron Francis would have also got six years in a row if not for the 1995 lockout.
dam Crosbys prime seems so weak at times, even though it's a terrible indicator of the player

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
With two assists last night, McDavid reached 97+ points for the sixth year in a row. That's only been done 9 times in NHL history. He's the first to do this since Steve Yzerman:
  1. Bobby Orr (6x years starting 1970)
  2. Connor McDavid (6x years starting 2017)
  3. Guy Lafleur (6x years starting 1975)
  4. Mario Lemieux (6x years starting 1985)
  5. Mike Bossy (6x years starting 1981)
  6. Peter Stastny (6x years starting 1981)
  7. Phil Esposito (7x years starting 1969)
  8. Steve Yzerman (6x years starting 1988)
  9. Wayne Gretzky (13x years starting 1980)
McDavid has done it in a scoring environment far less favourable than anyone else on this list (including through two COVID-shortened seasons). Remarkable.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
With a 3 point night, McDavid retakes the scoring lead and hits 70 assists in a season for the fourth time in his career.

At 113 points, he is quickly approaching his all-time high of 116 points in a season. Although it truly seems like he's focusing more on winning than accumulating points these days.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
With a 3 point night, McDavid retakes the scoring lead and hits 70 assists in a season for the fourth time in his career.

At 113 points, he is quickly approaching his all-time high of 116 points in a season. Although it truly seems like he's focusing more on winning than accumulating points these days.
What does that even mean? What better strategy to win than scoring or assisting goals?

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
What does that even mean? What better strategy to win than scoring or assisting goals?
I suppose it means less of a run and gun approach (80s Oilers style), and more team effort to shut down the opposition and win games. Seems like there've been fewer high-scoring games, but more wins as of late?

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007

Oh the classic, point totals drop-> focuses on wins rather than points. And also is more complete player;)

The points total for Connor are not what we expected, so it remains to be seen if this "focusing more on winning" is then impacting their playoff run. Great if he is more complete etc, but I also see that more points, more winning.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I suppose it means less of a run and gun approach (80s Oilers style), and more team effort to shut down the opposition and win games. Seems like there've been fewer high-scoring games, but more wins as of late?

Or, and this is just me thinking outside the box here, the goalies are on a heater vs. sucking ass like before.

I'm sure there is an advanced stat for high danger situations during this "winning style" he is playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad