Healthy Krejci 82 games > Unhealthy Krejci 47 games
Sieds and Chara can't be worse and probably will be better
Spooner 82 games > Spooner 29 games
Pastrnak 82 games > Pastrnak 47 games
Connolly 82 games > Connolly 5 games
Take away Paille and Campbell > insert Paille and Campbell
Bergy,Marchand and Erikkson = to and probably > than last year
A healthy Miller and Mcquaid > unhealthy Miller and McQuaid
Who ever ends up replacing Svedberg > Svedberg,can't be worse can he/they?

Hamilton,Lucic,Smith and Soderberg out = 170 points out
Beleskey(35),Hayes (32),Spooner (40), Franson? (35) = 142 points in

The 28 point deficit will be more than compensated for by,
Krejci 2014/15 31 points compared to 2015/16 Krejci 55 points = 24 points
All the misfits playing 1st line RW compared to this year should = 10 points
A stronger 4th line should = 10 points

the intangibles,

Hayes > Smith (size and toughness)
Beleskey > Lucic (speed)
Spooner > Soderberg (skill,playmaking ability,speed)
Franson > Hamilton (physically)
Connolly > Griffith,etc... (size,physically,production)
Pastrnak brings more speed
Kelly 4th line > Kelly 3rd line

bonus time,

If one of C.Miller, Morrow or Trotman prove to be ready for a top 4 spot or that Spooner,Pastnak or Connolly have a breakout year.

My projections are modest ones and should be surpassed in almost all cases. I see no reason why this team will not yield a better result than last year.

Franson/Ehrhoff/x signing can make a huge difference.
If we ice this forward group it is to me much better than what we had last year on the game1, but right now the D is scary, much weaker than it was last year, but if Chara+Seidenberg both can raise their games and not by little+ added 1 UFA signing then this D is probably as good as it was last year, defensively better but transition would be worse.

But for the last part of your post you need to remember what other teams have done, lots of Eastern teams have gotten stronger, teams that were close to us and none of the top teams will have a drop that big. Without bigger injuries+ 1 good D signing this offseason we should be better.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
in comparison to last here this is what I see,

Healthy Krejci 82 games > Unhealthy Krejci 47 games
Sieds and Chara can't be worse and probably will be better
Spooner 82 games > Spooner 29 games
Pastrnak 82 games > Pastrnak 47 games
Connolly 82 games > Connolly 5 games
Take away Paille and Campbell > insert Paille and Campbell
Bergy,Marchand and Erikkson = to and probably > than last year
A healthy Miller and Mcquaid > unhealthy Miller and McQuaid
Who ever ends up replacing Svedberg > Svedberg,can't be worse can he/they?

Hamilton,Lucic,Smith and Soderberg out = 170 points out
Beleskey(35),Hayes (32),Spooner (40), Franson? (35) = 142 points in

The 28 point deficit will be more than compensated for by,
Krejci 2014/15 31 points compared to 2015/16 Krejci 55 points = 24 points
All the misfits playing 1st line RW compared to this year should = 10 points
A stronger 4th line should = 10 points

the intangibles,

Hayes > Smith (size and toughness)
Beleskey > Lucic (speed)
Spooner > Soderberg (skill,playmaking ability,speed)
Franson > Hamilton (physically)
Connolly > Griffith,etc... (size,physically,production)
Pastrnak brings more speed
Kelly 4th line > Kelly 3rd line

bonus time,

If one of C.Miller, Morrow or Trotman prove to be ready for a top 4 spot or that Spooner,Pastnak or Connolly have a breakout year.

My projections are modest ones and should be surpassed in almost all cases. I see no reason why this team will not yield a better result than last year.

This kind of logic is used all the time in all sports and hardly ever works. While everything you say MAY be true (though I disagree with a bunch of it) it just doesn't work that way in that not all will cumulatively be true. Watch as I demonstrate with a hypothetical football team:

1) Sure we were 1-15 last year, but we lost like 4 games we should have won. It was just freak bad luck. Odds are that we wouldn't go 0-4 in those kinds of games again. If we had just broke .500 we would have been 3-13. So, automatically I think we are 2 games better.

2) Boy last year we were devastated with injuries. All those guys will be healthy this year. That has to account for 2 more wins too, so I think we are 5-11 at the worst.

3) Man, did our coach suck last year. But he's gone and we replaced him with a guy who is way better. Going from the worst coach in the league to a very good one has to be worth 3 games by itself, so I think we are 8-8 no doubt.

4) Because we finished last we ended up with the 1st overall pick. This kid is a stud and future franchise player. That kind of talent has to be worth 2 wins. We are 10-6 and in the playoffs!!!

5)We had a bunch of young kids playing next year and did they ever take their lumps learning the game. But now they are a year older and we all know that young players get better and improve as they learn. That's gotta be worth 2 games. We are 12-4 and division winners!

6) Our opponents all got a lot worse this offseason. They are older and they are sure to have injuries (while we will be healthy). That worse division means we win another game at least. I can easily see 13-3, division winners, a bye in the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl!

7) Hey once you get to the Super Bowl anything can happen. I don't see why we couldn't beat any team. From 1-15 to Super Bowl champs!!

It just doesn't work that way. MAYBE Krejci is healthy, maybe he isn't. Maybe someone who was healthy last year becomes injured. Maybe a young player progresses, maybe he regresses. Maybe an older player falls off the cliff, which happens.

You can't just take every single good thing as a baseline that can only go up and can't get worse, and every bad thing as a floor that can't go lower. Every good thing can get better or worse. Every bad thing can get better or worse. On paper this team is worse than last year's. Doesn't mean they have no chance, but I would be expecting this year to be a bridge year more than a contending year.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This kind of logic is used all the time in all sports and hardly ever works. While everything you say MAY be true (though I disagree with a bunch of it) it just doesn't work that way in that not all will cumulatively be true. Watch as I demonstrate with a hypothetical football team:

1) Sure we were 1-15 last year, but we lost like 4 games we should have won. It was just freak bad luck. Odds are that we wouldn't go 0-4 in those kinds of games again. If we had just broke .500 we would have been 3-13. So, automatically I think we are 2 games better.

2) Boy last year we were devastated with injuries. All those guys will be healthy this year. That has to account for 2 more wins too, so I think we are 5-11 at the worst.

3) Man, did our coach suck last year. But he's gone and we replaced him with a guy who is way better. Going from the worst coach in the league to a very good one has to be worth 3 games by itself, so I think we are 8-8 no doubt.

4) Because we finished last we ended up with the 1st overall pick. This kid is a stud and future franchise player. That kind of talent has to be worth 2 wins. We are 10-6 and in the playoffs!!!

5)We had a bunch of young kids playing next year and did they ever take their lumps learning the game. But now they are a year older and we all know that young players get better and improve as they learn. That's gotta be worth 2 games. We are 12-4 and division winners!

6) Our opponents all got a lot worse this offseason. They are older and they are sure to have injuries (while we will be healthy). That worse division means we win another game at least. I can easily see 13-3, division winners, a bye in the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl!

7) Hey once you get to the Super Bowl anything can happen. I don't see why we couldn't beat any team. From 1-15 to Super Bowl champs!!

It just doesn't work that way. MAYBE Krejci is healthy, maybe he isn't. Maybe someone who was healthy last year becomes injured. Maybe a young player progresses, maybe he regresses. Maybe an older player falls off the cliff, which happens.

You can't just take every single good thing as a baseline that can only go up and can't get worse, and every bad thing as a floor that can't go lower. Every good thing can get better or worse. Every bad thing can get better or worse. On paper this team is worse than last year's. Doesn't mean they have no chance, but I would be expecting this year to be a bridge year more than a contending year.

Of course not everything is going to go your way that's why I tempered expectations to allow for that. It's hard to imagine a scenario where things go worse than last year for the Bruins. If I wrote everything as positive as I really think it could go, we'd be cup contenders, but we both know it won't happen, that's why I kept my projections modest, at least IMO.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
The positive of posters here is admirable and show great love and passion, but it is not logical at all, bruins are now a medium weak team, 10-12 position,
From cup winner to possible playoffs team, ouf...chia
Only a vezina, hart year from Rask would give them a chance to make playoffs
People was upset of johnny lost and now hamilton
This defense is terrible , fast team will have a buffet
The worst comment is we will find someone EASILY for lost of hamilton...my God

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of course not everything is going to go your way that's why I tempered expectations to allow for that. It's hard to imagine a scenario where things go worse than last year for the Bruins. If I wrote everything as positive as I really think it could go, we'd be cup contenders, but we both know it won't happen, that's why I kept my projections modest, at least IMO.

Really? They are clearly worse on Defense and the Defense was down last year as it is. 6 of their top 7 Fs were all healthy. Seidenberg played 82 games. Svedberg was "ok" (gaa and sv% almost identical to Rask but in easier starts and not as good in the eye test) but there's no proven back up now. What if Rask gets hurt?

You are counting on Beleskey to be what a good Lucic was. Now I'm fine with dealing Lucic away and I love the return, but for this year that's a downgrade and it's "hard to imagine" it not being one. Smith for all the crap he takes had some skill. I like Hayes and have liked him since before he was drafted, but I watch A LOT of Panthers games and trust me, he disappears too.

They will be what they were last year: A bubble playoff team. If things break right, they are in. If they don't or if the D is as bad as it looks now... they are out.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The positive of posters here is admirable and show great love and passion, but it is not logical at all, bruins are now a medium weak team, 10-12 position,
From cup winner to possible playoffs team, ouf...chia
Only a vezina, hart year from Rask would give them a chance to make playoffs
People was upset of johnny lost and now hamilton
This defense is terrible , fast team will have a buffet
The worst comment is we will find someone EASILY for lost of hamilton...my God

Who said that?

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
The was I see it is:
Hayes>Smith
Lucic = Belesky ( though Belesky could be a bust)
Spooner = Soderberg
Hamilton we will miss but he is definitely replaceable for this season.

How I see it:
Smith>Hayes (although not a fan of either player)
Lucic>Beleskey (especially as Beleskey could bust)
Soderberg>Spooner (although Spooner could breakout, definitely not safe to put him on Carl's level yet)
Hamilton>>>Irwin/Miller/Whoever

I fail to see how our offense has improved and our defense is deplorable. I also think we have gotten slower, softer, and less talented. Still can see playoffs being in our reach, but I do not understand the optimism of calling us a better team or playoff bound.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Really? They are clearly worse on Defense and the Defense was down last year as it is. 6 of their top 7 Fs were all healthy. Seidenberg played 82 games. Svedberg was "ok" (gaa and sv% almost identical to Rask but in easier starts and not as good in the eye test) but there's no proven back up now. What if Rask gets hurt?

You are counting on Beleskey to be what a good Lucic was.
Now I'm fine with dealing Lucic away and I love the return, but for this year that's a downgrade and it's "hard to imagine" it not being one. Smith for all the crap he takes had some skill. I like Hayes and have liked him since before he was drafted, but I watch A LOT of Panthers games and trust me, he disappears too.

They will be what they were last year: A bubble playoff team. If things break right, they are in. If they don't or if the D is as bad as it looks now... they are out.

I want to look at wings and go

Eriksson vs Lucic
Marchand
Beleskey vs Kelly
and I'm absolutely fine with Eriksson over Lucic and I take Beleskey to the top9 over Kelly easily.
+ If I see Kelly-Kemppainen 4th line duo that's a lot better than we had last year.

And I take the Pasta-Connolly-Hayes top9 over last years game1 top9 group easily.
Also I like the C group more.

But the D is a tough one, we need Seidenberg and Chara to improve and not by little and if we add Franson/Ehrhoff our D-play is probably better than it was last year, but those are huge ?? around Seidenberg and Chara. D has the power to destroy our chances and a good playoff run.

The forward group+Rask are on the playoff level but as the D sits now I hate it. Then Eastern teams around have gotten stronger and we can't afford any bigger injuries to key players, Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Krecji.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

You are counting on Beleskey to be what a good Lucic was. Now I'm fine with dealing Lucic away and I love the return, but for this year that's a downgrade and it's "hard to imagine" it not being one. Smith for all the crap he takes had some skill. I like Hayes and have liked him since before he was drafted, but I watch A LOT of Panthers games and trust me, he disappears too.

Where did I say I was expecting Beleskey to be as good as Lucic, I put him down for a modest 35 points, all I said was he was faster than Lucic.

If I wanted to be all rosy about it I could have said the following and not been reaching,

Krejci 65 points I put him at 55
Chara returns to form and gives 45, all I said was better than last year
Sieds returns to full form playing his shut down d, all I said was better than last year,
Spooner giving us 50, I pegged him at 40
Connolly at 50 points, I just gave him 10 points more than the carousel of fill ins we had last year.
Bergy 65,Marchand,55 and Erikkson 60, all I said was = to or > than last year.
Hayes at 45, I gave him 32
So you see, I have allowed for disappointment, I have not exaggerated expectations as you seem to think I did and it should all average out. While there will be injuries I doubt we'll have a scenario where we lose 3 regular D men at the same time. The only valid point you make is Rask going down, like any other team who loses their starting Goalie we'd be ****ed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good thing we acquired speed demon Matt Beleskey and ditched a player without any intangibles

oh wait, now on the boards intangibles are legit? Cuz when we mention intangibles and say....um...Chris Kelly, it`s scoffed at but with Looch...

I loved Looch, but I loved him when he brought it, and over the past few season, those times were, for the salary, far too few

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Chara and Seidenberg won us a Cup. The two of them aren't what they were but its difficult to gauge this team not knowing what we will get from either.

Our prospect cupboard is stacked....we have zero risk of losing anything valuable to the expansion drafts... and most importantly yeah we are going to try and win with 2 defensemen who when both are healthy we usually end up playing in the Stanley Cup Finals. There is no room to add guys with huge cap hits right now if we want stars we have to draft them and wait 2-3 years (or less see Pasternak) and because of this we aquired 6 of the top 50 picks this year in the draft.

SHUT THE F UP YUOU FAKE FAN CRYBABIES THE TEAM DOESN"T SUCK HAMILTON WAS SOFT AS **** AND DIDN"T WANT TO BE HERE HES NOT THAT GOOD JUST PUTS UP STATS A COFFEY/HOUSLEY LITE!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have to say, the above post makes me embarrassed to post on this board. If you can't take people being objective or critical of the team, why come to a place like this? It's not being a crybaby to voice concerns or discuss areas where you can see room for improvement.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I have to say, the above post makes me embarrassed to post on this board. If you can't take people being objective or critical of the team, why come to a place like this? It's not being a crybaby to voice concerns or discuss areas where you can see room for improvement.

Cosigned.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Chara and Seidenberg won us a Cup. The two of them aren't what they were but its difficult to gauge this team not knowing what we will get from either.

Our prospect cupboard is stacked....we have zero risk of losing anything valuable to the expansion drafts... and most importantly yeah we are going to try and win with 2 defensemen who when both are healthy we usually end up playing in the Stanley Cup Finals. There is no room to add guys with huge cap hits right now if we want stars we have to draft them and wait 2-3 years (or less see Pasternak) and because of this we aquired 6 of the top 50 picks this year in the draft.

SHUT THE F UP YUOU FAKE FAN CRYBABIES THE TEAM DOESN"T SUCK HAMILTON WAS SOFT AS **** AND DIDN"T WANT TO BE HERE HES NOT THAT GOOD JUST PUTS UP STATS A COFFEY/HOUSLEY LITE!

I wasn't going to agree with you until you held down the shift key (instead of tapping the caps lock) while swearing and calling people names. Now I totally get what you're saying. Valid points.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
oh wait, now on the boards intangibles are legit? Cuz when we mention intangibles and say....um...Chris Kelly, it`s scoffed at but with Looch...

I loved Looch, but I loved him when he brought it, and over the past few season, those times were, for the salary, far too few

Neither Chris Kelly's nor Milan Lucic's intangibles are worth their contracts.

It's going to be great when Lucic brings it for 70% of games this year, gets a huge contract, and then gets pissy about something and stops moving his legs again. It will be great because it won't be for the Bruins.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
One thing people aren't considering when making comparisons is:
Today's CAP>>>>>>>>>>>>>Last year's CAP

We just couldn't afford the players we had. What confuses me is that the players say their biggest desire is to lift the Cup but keep asking for more money so the organization can build around them. How many millions does a family need? The next agreement should/needs to have a clause that allows a player to restructure his contract.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

We just couldn't afford the players we had. What confuses me is that the players say their biggest desire is to lift the Cup but keep asking for more money so the organization can build around them. How many millions does a family need? The next agreement should/needs to have a clause that allows a player to restructure his contract.
We could if we didn't over spend on middle talent and only paid our best. But you can't do that when the team drafts duds over and over again. As for millions, they should get as much money as possible for their future and their children's future.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

How much money does the Jacobs family need? Do they need to charge $40 for parking or $8 for a hot dog or beer? It confuses me when they say their biggest desire is to lift the Cup, but keep dealing away players who want more money. How many billions does a family need? The next agreement should/needs to have a clause that allows an owner to have to lower prices or give a refund to ticketholders if the team doesn't win the Cup.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How much money does the Jacobs family need? Do they need to charge $40 for parking or $8 for a hot dog or beer? It confuses me when they say their biggest desire is to lift the Cup, but keep dealing away players who want more money. How many billions does a family need? The next agreement should/needs to have a clause that allows an owner to have to lower prices or give a refund to ticketholders if the team doesn't win the Cup.

Need got nothing to do with it.

Nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad