confused???

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Not always the case but as others have mentioned, generally the fewer question marks you have going into a season the better your chances are.

This team is loaded with question marks, which from my point of view, will make the regular season more interesting than in past years. Who will seize his opportunity? Who will not fulfill expectations? etc. Will Pastrnak have a good year? Are Colin Miller/ Joe Morrow going to step into the lineup?

On the other hand, as others have mentioned, the competition has really improved in the East compared to a couple of years ago when the Bruins were on top.

Last year I had the Bruins at #6 or #7 seed before the season and they finished #9.

This year as currently constructed I'm thinking #10-#11 out of 16 or so with potential to sneak into #8 seed with good performance and few injuries.

So much of offense in today's NHL is generated by moving the puck quickly up the ice as opposed to the in zone setup 5 on 5 cycle game which for many teams is ineffective. Often the 4th guy on the rush being the defenseman is very important in this. I don't see the Bruins executing this very well except for Krug.

The Bruins defense (as it looks now) is probably going to struggle with the speed that other team's forwards can bring on the forecheck. More time chasing the puck around in the defensive zone means less time attacking and tired players. I question whether or not the wingers can do the heavy lifting on the walls to get the puck out of the zone.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm guessing Beleskey played with Perry/Getzlaf? How much more can we expect with Krejci?

I expect 15 foals and 30 points from him, which is nowhere near what Lucic brought.

I like him and the signing but our D is worse and forwards overall are worse.

We could make a push for the playoffs but I think we hover around 8-113th in the east.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Are you really beleiving that we need a career year from everyone on the roster to only have a chance to making the playoffs?

15-16

Loui 37g-74pts
Bergeron 32g-74pts
Krejci 24g-74pts
Marchand 29g-56pts
Chara 20g-52pts
Krug 15g-41pts
Rask 1.96gaa, .932, 8SO
etc for everyone else...

Like I said, if everyone has a career year, unlike what you pretend, we are not a bubble playoffs team. We are #1 in the East.

In fact, only one player could have a career year and we would be in the playoffs even if all others are average or below. You know this player?

If you honestly think that will ever happen, you are going to be tremendously disappointed. That's why it's pointless to even argue. No team has everyone magically have career years at the same time. Nobody. So this is probably one of the most pointless discussions I've seen here...

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I'm guessing Beleskey played with Perry/Getzlaf? How much more can we expect with Krejci?

I expect 15 foals and 30 points from him, which is nowhere near what Lucic brought.

I like him and the signing but our D is worse and forwards overall are worse.

We could make a push for the playoffs but I think we hover around 8-113th in the east.

They can be "worse" and still produce more.

Bottom line is:

Will these 15-16 forwards score more or less than the 171 goals the 14-15 forwards had?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If you honestly think that will ever happen, you are going to be tremendously disappointed. That's why it's pointless to even argue. No team has everyone magically have career years at the same time. Nobody. So this is probably one of the most pointless discussions I've seen here...

I never said it will happen or do I beleive it will.

Again, just pointing out that, unlike what you pretended, the Bruins don't need a career year from everyone on the roster to just to get a chance at the playoffs...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Cups are neither won nor lost in July, or October, or March for that matter.

I'm not in the prediction business (they take care of that in Delphi), but I always hope for and root for the best. Life's too short to waste time on doom and gloom.

I'm looking forward to seeing a healthy Chara and Krejci, how the new guys work out, the continued growth of Pasta and Spooner. I have to believe they'll do well, because otherwise, why watch?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Already better than the bolded teams and if Kessel is as much of a bust in Pittsburgh as I suspect they will be better than them as well.
Also wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa or Montreal slip. Montreal got weaker by adding Semin and Price shouldn't have as good a season again.

How are we better than Detroit, they got better and have lots of young talent who will only improve.

Floridas top talen youngster will only improve and so will Ottawa's.

Our forward group is good enough to challenge but the D oi D.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
How are we better than Detroit, they got better and have lots of young talent who will only improve.

Floridas top talen youngster will only improve and so will Ottawa's.

Our forward group is good enough to challenge but the D oi D

They did?

They lost their coach.
We have a much better G.
Datsyuk is already injured and may only get back in November.
They have young talent that will only improve? So do we.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have more points than Detroit at the end of the season. In fact, I expect it.

As for the Bruins vs other team, our biggest advantage is Rask.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I never said it will happen or do I beleive it will.

Again, just pointing out that, unlike what you pretended, the Bruins don't need a career year from everyone on the roster to just to get a chance at the playoffs...

If you say so. I'd say right now, with the players they have and the holes they have yet to fill, they're not much more than a 10th seed, IMO.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Cups are neither won nor lost in July, or October, or March for that matter.

I'm not in the prediction business (they take care of that in Delphi), but I always hope for and root for the best. Life's too short to waste time on doom and gloom.

I'm looking forward to seeing a healthy Chara and Krejci, how the new guys work out, the continued growth of Pasta and Spooner. I have to believe they'll do well, because otherwise, why watch?

That is pretty much the way I feel. It is going to be a fun year and interesting to see how it all plays out.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They did?

They lost their coach.
We have a much better G.
Datsyuk is already injured and may only get back in November.
They have young talent that will only improve? So do we.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have more points than Detroit at the end of the season. In fact, I expect it.

As for the Bruins vs other team, our biggest advantage is Rask.

I'm just thinking that what has changed from last year?, they got C depth with Richards, they added Green and addressed their biggest need and like you said they too have had lots of health issues and have room to improve.

They changed coach which can also give them new energy, Green+Richards add was a good one for them.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Bruins lost their number 2/3 defencemen for the second year in a row for futures

Bruins traded a top line left winger after a poor year, (great trade for futures however)

Bruins traded a more talented Smith and Savards contract for Hayes. In a vacuum a good trade, but again I think we lost more skill in the trade.

Bruins seriously downgraded their skill this offseason, I don't see how they can be better.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If you say so. I'd say right now, with the players they have and the holes they have yet to fill, they're not much more than a 10th seed, IMO.

That's how I see it:

Lock for the playoffs unless total collapse:

TB
Wsh
NYR

Lock DNQ unless total surprises:

Tor
Car
NJ
Buf

Then these remaining 9 teams will battle for the remaining division spots+WC.

2 to 4 of these teams will make the playoffs:

Mtl
Det
Ott
Bos
Flo

1 to 3 of these teams will make the playoffs:

NYI
Pitt
Clb
Phi

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's how I see it:

Lock for the playoffs unless total collapse:

TB
Wsh
NYR

Lock DNQ unless total surprises:

Tor
Car
NJ
Buf

Then these remaining 9 teams will battle for the remaining division spots+WC.

2 to 4 of these teams will make the playoffs:

Mtl
Det
Ott
Bos
Flo

1 to 3 of these teams will make the playoffs:

NYI
Pitt
Clb
Phi

That's stronger than the other group.

We have a weaker division luckily, I'd say 4-5 teams from Metro are going into playoffs, 5 more likely.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I don't expect Beleskey to be anywhere near Lucic in terms of stats.
17 is 10x the player he is.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins top 9 is faster and has added offensive players. The fourth line has been so inadequate that even if it's Talbot and Kelly it's an upgrade.

In my 33 years as a Bruins season ticket holder there isn't any player so overrated as Dougie Hamilton.

These same folks have underrated David Krejci, Loui Eriksson, Torey Krug, Brad Marchand.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I don't expect Beleskey to be anywhere near Lucic in terms of stats.
17 is 10x the player he is.

I'm new to the game so I'm probably wrong and your probably right.

I thought 17 had a very bi-polar underachieving year but I missed a few of his shifts letting the dog out

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm just thinking that what has changed from last year?, they got C depth with Richards, they added Green and addressed their biggest need and like you said they too have had lots of health issues and have room to improve.

They changed coach which can also give them new energy, Green+Richards add was a good one for them.

Richards is very debatable for a team that likes to play with speed. I can't see him duplicating what he did in Chicago. If he had signed here people would be saying he is old and slow and everything the Bruins don't need.

Green will be expected to play top minutes and not be a sheltered as he was last year in Washington when he was a bottom pairing D with power play time, kinda like Krug.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Bruins top 9 is faster and has added offensive players. The fourth line has been so inadequate that even if it's Talbot and Kelly it's an upgrade.

In my 33 years as a Bruins season ticket holder there isn't any player so overrated as Dougie Hamilton.

These same folks have underrated David Krejci, Loui Eriksson, Torey Krug, Brad Marchand.

Phil Kessel, Dave Pasin, Tom Fergus and Craig Janney spring to mind for me.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

I thought 17 had a very bi-polar underachieving year but I missed a few of his shifts letting the dog out

You need your own blog or something. I find myself sifting through most of the posts here to get to your posts.

I agree with almost everything you post.

and the sarcasm is hilarious.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Bruins lost their number 2/3 defencemen for the second year in a row for futures

Bruins traded a top line left winger after a poor year, (great trade for futures however)

Bruins traded a more talented Smith and Savards contract for Hayes. In a vacuum a good trade, but again I think we lost more skill in the trade.

Bruins seriously downgraded their skill this offseason, I don't see how they can be better.

Because Hayes actually drives to the net, he doesn't play as physical as he should for his size but he isn't a perimeter player like Smith. What they lost in skill they made up for in grit, something sadly lacking last year.

Belesky will probably get as many goals as Lucic, he should score between 15-20, they lose some size in Lucic and a much better fighter, but Lucic is very inconsistent and has been for a couple years.

I can't say the D doesn't scare me and I have never been totally sold on Rask so they do need to improve there.

Do I think they are a cup contender as currently constructed? No, but I like the way they are trending.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

With Dougie it's about his points, puck moving, skating ,who is going to replace his +40 points,
I'm glad that we traded Lucic now but he still scored more points than Beleskey and today has gotten me worried about Lou and his possible trade before the season, who is going to score those points?

If Kemppainen is our 4th line C and we keep the top9 as it is then I think it's stronger than we had last year, but then again there's that small issue we have, replacing Hamilton's points+, because we needed more scoring from our D's already last year. If we can't addres that it will affect our forwards scoring a lot and we won't be a high scoring team.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Now I can't believe a word that comes out of your mouth.

In all seriousness, I agree with everything you said. To me Krug is the most underrated player on the team. Also, people don't realize how important Krejci is when he's healthy.

Also, I'm a huge believer that Lucic took so many shifts off when he wasn't in the mood. His off ice personality is very similar to the way he plays the game. The problem is, it's his contract year so he's going to have a great season.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Healthy Krejci, Chara, Miller, McQuaid and Seidenberg for starters.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Healthy Krejci, Chara, Miller, McQuaid and Seidenberg for starters.

This mantra that a healthy Chara will help is puzzling to me. Why do people think that Chara is going to be healthy? They already announced that his ligament is permanently damaged and is never going to heal. So off the top, he's automatically not healthy. Maybe he manages the injury better this season because he gained some insight and experience dealing with it last year, but it's not going to be healthier.

The other thing is McQuaid. Even if he's healthy, he's not a top 4 dman, yet that's what he's projecting to be here. That's hardly something to expect improvement on. He's going to be misused and expected/needed to play above his actual abilities.

The best chance for improvement is Seidenberg, IMO, because he'll be 2 years removed from the ACL injury, and by all accounts, that type of injury takes that long to really feel healed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad