Conclusions from the Stanley Cup Final - Post Game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was at the game yesterday. There's got to be a better more official and more fan friendly way of celebrating the cup.

1. Skate with the Cup around the ring. That way every fan will have a picture with it. Looks much more impressive than small circles.

2. Picking Up Conn Smythe Trophy should be in the Contract. What happened yesterday was awkward and stupid. Show some class, be humble, and learn how to lose. Pick up a trophy or change it's meaning. This is a pro league, you have to come out.

3. Make the losing team stay on the ice until Conn Smythe Trophy. Provide them with some kind of award: flowers, silver medal, etc. Just like at international level, or youth level. Losing in the final is no shame.

4. Let players thank and say good bye to the fans at one corner of the ice.

5. Allow people who bought tickets to receive the stubs for the final.
Idiot fans throwing toy rats on the ice made it dangerous to skate around the full rink I was waiting for a player to step on one while holding the 36 lb. Cup over their head, with a resultant fall, breaking the Cup in half.

Also thought it was classless of the FLA fans to boo McDavid's Conn Smythe win.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Idiot fans throwing toy rats on the ice made it dangerous to skate around the full rink I was waiting for a player to step on one while holding the 36 lb. Cup over their head, with a resultant fall, breaking the Cup in half.

Lol. They cleaned the ice before the cup ever even came out. That includes the gloves and sticks that every winning team throws up into the air and onto the ice after the final horn.

What a strange thing to be upset by. They throw octopi in Detroit, Catfish in Nashville, jerseys in other markets, hats for hat tricks.

Unless you work for the arena staff that has to clean it up, why would anyone even think about this?

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Stop making excuses for him. Imagine being the biggest name in hockey and you're being presented by the league commissioner in what is arguably the most prestigious individual award in pro sports. The Conn Smythe is that highly regarded, it's not some chump trophy.
The whole thing was awkward. Did anyone tell McDavid to wait? I can see why it looked bad but Bettman and the delay in getting the CS trophy out...just cringe.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I can understand not sticking around to pick up individual award after falling short of the ultimate prize. Funny thing is if he did stick around for the Conn Smythe the narrative would have been he's a loser, look at him eagerly collecting another individual award over the team award. Look I love making fun of McDavid and the Oilers as the next guy.... but it was lose lose no matter what he did.

Ditto, agree absolutely with this.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Holy boy did you sure look for any reason to be offended.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Then the trophy has no meaning in the current form.
its no different than the West or East conferences champion trophies. While the teams are happy to win them, no one wants to touch it, it's just as disrespectful, and shows a lack of meaning just as much, same with the presidents trophy.

You can't make everything about one trophy ( the Stanley cup) and expect the other trophies to have some meaning. It's just a poor argument. Perhaps these trophies have no meaning in today's game. I mean the conn smythe is for the whole playoffs and not just the finals. The player that had the best playoffs isn't always on the winning team but the award is usually given to a player on the winning team and players not on the winning are usually not even given consideration. Maybe the NHL needs to review the condition on which it gives the trophies to increase meaning.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I was at the game yesterday. There's got to be a better more official and more fan friendly way of celebrating the cup.

1. Skate with the Cup around the ring. That way every fan will have a picture with it. Looks much more impressive than small circles.

What honestly is a smartphone picture of someone else holding a trophy going to do for you? A couple of likes on Social Media?

2. Picking Up Conn Smythe Trophy should be in the Contract. What happened yesterday was awkward and stupid. Show some class, be humble, and learn how to lose. Pick up a trophy or change it's meaning. This is a pro league, you have to come out.

Find something more meaningful to complain about.

3. Make the losing team stay on the ice until Conn Smythe Trophy. Provide them with some kind of award: flowers, silver medal, etc. Just like at international level, or youth level. Losing in the final is no shame.

Easy to say that as a fan of the team that won.

4. Let players thank and say good bye to the fans at one corner of the ice.

Fan interactions are often an obligation - especially interactions with adult fans. The team cares about you in so far as you spend money on their product, privately the players could give a shit for the most part.

5. Allow people who bought tickets to receive the stubs for the final.

Ok sure - Create some framed ticket stub next to the printed photo commemorative thing your kids will have to throw away in 30 years.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
What honestly is a smartphone picture of someone else holding a trophy going to do for you? A couple of likes on Social Media?

Find something more meaningful to complain about.

Easy to say that as a fan of the team that won.

Fan interactions are often an obligation - especially interactions with adult fans. The team cares about you in so far as you spend money on their product, privately the players could give a shit for the most part.

Ok sure - Create some framed ticket stub next to the printed photo commemorative thing your kids will have to throw away in 30 years.
He isn't a Panthers fan.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
McDavid not going out to accept the Smythe will go down as one of the ugliest incidents in Hockey history, I heard Todd Bertuzzi called it "absolutely disgusting"
wow thats strong praise coming from an absolutely disgusting player who played games after he should have been banned for life after the sucker punch.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
So, you thought it showed heart AND integrity not to come out for an award. And then you said it shows it was all about the team for him. How in the heck do you know? He could have been alone in the trainers room crying his eyes out. Not saying that is true, but the projecting going on is weird. Maybe you know McDavid personally and he told you this, but we do know that he didn't show up for an award. And if you think that is integrity, maybe he shouldn't show up at the awards ceremony the NHL puts on every year, for integrity.
That’s what I said. The amount of whining over this is f***ing hilarious. How do you people get through life or even the day if this kind of shit upsets you. Life must be miserable. First world problems 😂

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
If I was in McDavid’s shoes (skates) I would say f*ck that trophy. I just lost game 7 of the SCF by a goal. I wouldn’t give a shit about that trophy. Especially if I had to go on the other team’s home ice, and accept it, while they are all celebrating.
when I was watching live I started giggling at the idea that McDavid might pick up the trophy and then rage spike it on the ice before shoving bettman and skating off.

• Haha
Reactions: gretzkyoilers

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Maybe just award the physical Conn Smythe at the awards show. No real need for it to be right at the end of the game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Stop making excuses for him. Imagine being the biggest name in hockey and you're being presented by the league commissioner in what is arguably the most prestigious individual award in pro sports. The Conn Smythe is that highly regarded, it's not some chump trophy.
Thankfully as a Flames fan you'll never have to experience that happening to you.

Connor didn't want to intrude on the Panthers moment. He shook every Panther's hand, he shook every staff member's hand, he was the last Oiler off the ice after consoling his teammates after losing game 7 in the Cup finals by one goal after clawing all the way back from down 3-0. He's not going to stump out there just to take a stupid picture with a participation trophy.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I find hilarious the people that are pissed that McDavid didn't get his Conn Smythe trophy. Dude just lost a devastating game 7 where that game could've gone either way. Funny comment seeing that he's the face of the league. If it was Hyman, Bouchard or Draisaitl winning Conn Smythe nobody would bat an eye if he's going on the ice or not :laugh:

1719434861242.png

• Haha
Reactions: Spilot23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad