Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
"YOUNG PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY!"

*plays Ludvig*

"NO NOT LIKE THAT!"
Young players do need to play. But when they absolutely bloody suck, then call up Smith and try him. You wanker I also stated Shea was better. And I see St Ivany as a regular.

Ludvig is awful. He should be 10th on the depth chart.

He sucks at UFA too.

Dubas doesn't do anything right.

We are in purgatory for at least 5 more years under this clown.

It's so over.
I was fine with him in his original role, but to take on the GM job was wrong.

Maybe the new GM comes in and sees Sullivan is the issue and pushes for it, Dubas has FSG so far up his ass, he'd be qualified to be a puppet on Sesame Street.

Penguins went from being this team that had these up and coming execs and coaches to being an absolute shit hole for it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Shea was more reliable in his games and St Ivany has been a prospect that has been trending well and looked comfortable at the NHL level as a defensive defenseman.

Ludvig runs around like Lafferty did and isn't being reigned in like Lafferty. He's often out of position and is just not a smart player at the NHL level.

It's comical he knocked himself the f*** out on a hit trying to run around.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
After the questions he took and the answers he gave, it's pretty clear what the path is as he said it multiple times: They want to compete and they want to do via infusing the lineup with youth (specially "hungry" players). Wasn't that hard to sniff out. Now how they go about doing that is another story.

I know he likes Acciari but you have to wonder about Eller. Both of those guys are non-impact "old guys" who appear to both be the anti-thesis what he just said. Wouldn't shock me to see one or both moved. Same with Smith. Who knows on Jarry - that seemed to be a "I'm okay keeping both unless there's a good deal in place"

Should only take a couple moves though:

Jarry+Acciari for Husso+Berggren
Smith for Kaliyev
Eller for a 4th

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Berggren-Pono-Kaliyev
Poulin-Gruden-Puljujarvi

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-JSI

TJ-Neds

Tomorrow should be fun considering how all over the board everyone is. My top 4-5 hopes:

Lucas Pettersson
John Mustard
Tanner Howe
Maxim Masse

with the 2nds.

Then with the 4th: Maximillian Curran. I have a buddy in Tri-Cities that is really high on this kid. So...why not.
Hungry young players?

Does Dustin Byfuglien have a kid in the draft?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I would easily give Stamkos four years, $8.5 million per. No hesitation.

This power play is not going to get fixed by a white board, apparently. We need that sniper and he is the best available by 500 miles.
Agreed. Get Laine as a backup plan. Either way get a shooter for the right circle.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Acciari was such a dumb f***ing signing.

Sullivan's usage of him is even dumber.

But the signing was dumb.
It's especially dumb given the org's history of giving out contracts like that. The Tanevs and McGinns of Penguins past, and we still don't learn a thing.

Let's get a guy who can really get to our game and play Penguins hockey. But to make sure he's really good, let's pay 3x market value for him! Sully will absolutely love that!

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Hockey Reference similar players through nine years:
Glenn Anderson, Ryan Getzlaf, Gilbert Perrault, Dave Taylor, Taylor Hall, Simon Gagne, Rick Nash, Anze Kopitar, Rick Martin, and Alex Tanguay.

Every single player on that list was out of the league by 35 or 36, except for Kopitar, who is 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, and Hall, who played 10 games last year. In their final years in the league, every single one sustained a significant drop in production.

Guentzel is an amazingly adept scorer and point producer. But his frame will not hold up - and if he tries to protect himself by being more of a perimeter player, his production will go down.
Those are not similar players to Jake. Mostly it's just hard to compare those eras to today's game.

Jake has been through some tough injuries already and in spite of those has never really shown any sign of slowing down. The same could not be said about Hall and Nash. So, I expect him to continue to bring ppg level hockey for minimum 6 more years. Well worth the 8 year investment.

I don't get the point of comparing him to two-way C's like Getzlaf and Kopitar or guys who played in 1971. Just a bizarre list of comparables right there. How did you even come up with that list? Lol

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
After the questions he took and the answers he gave, it's pretty clear what the path is as he said it multiple times: They want to compete and they want to do via infusing the lineup with youth (specially "hungry" players). Wasn't that hard to sniff out. Now how they go about doing that is another story.

I know he likes Acciari but you have to wonder about Eller. Both of those guys are non-impact "old guys" who appear to both be the anti-thesis what he just said. Wouldn't shock me to see one or both moved. Same with Smith. Who knows on Jarry - that seemed to be a "I'm okay keeping both unless there's a good deal in place"

Should only take a couple moves though:

Jarry+Acciari for Husso+Berggren
Smith for Kaliyev
Eller for a 4th

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Berggren-Pono-Kaliyev
Poulin-Gruden-Puljujarvi

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-JSI

TJ-Neds

Tomorrow should be fun considering how all over the board everyone is. My top 4-5 hopes:

Lucas Pettersson
John Mustard
Tanner Howe
Maxim Masse

with the 2nds.

Then with the 4th: Maximillian Curran. I have a buddy in Tri-Cities that is really high on this kid. So...why not.
Still hating in Puustinen I see.

• Haha
Reactions: SEALBound

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Pretty much sounds that Dubas wants to do something. But we have nothing worth a damn and he doesn't wanna pay assets or take salary back to unload for example Jarry, Smith Rakell.

Which probably means we will have almost the same team as last season

Reactions: Andy99

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
At this point, the only thing I'm sure of is that Dubas must have f***ed one of (maybe both) Pixies' mom or sister.
At the same time or separately?

Some of you need to go do something else other than sit on this message board all day, haha. If something pissed me off as much as this team apparently does to a few of you, I’d drop it….or get therapy for it.
But they only post at work. Maybe that's why they're so miserable. Apparently they work all day and all night....

Reactions: Factorial

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Ditching Jarry and replacing him with a cheap, replacement level goalie will likely result in more goals being allowed, but it's worth it for the cap flexibility IMO.

I like Dubas' acknowledgement that the Pens need to find cheaper players who are hungry enough to sign short term prove-it deals instead of focusing on big money marquee singings, but I still think they need to acquire a legit first line forward to replace Guentzel. As much as I liked what I saw from DOC last year, I would not pencil him in as the 1LW on a playoff contender, especially as Sid and Geno continue to age and need more offensive support. If the goal is to make the playoffs, they need to score more, particularly on the power play. Then again...is that really on the players?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
So, our pick was used for Konsta Helenius a legitimate high upside prospect.

So glad we got EK, though. He really turned the PP around and is totally worth his defensive shortcomings.

200w.gif

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So, our pick was used for Konsta Helenius a legitimate high upside prospect.

So glad we got EK, though. He really turned the PP around and is totally worth his defensive shortcomings.

200w.gif
If the Penguins can turn a 100 point Norris trophy winner in to 60 point guy what makes you think they could have developed Helenius?

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad