Proposal: Complicated Koskinen for Korpisalo trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Koskinen has had a better sv% than Korpisalo each of the 4 seasons he’s been in the NHL. Only thing Korpisalo has going for him is that he’s younger and cheaper. Either way, Edmonton need to improve its goaltending and that goalie swap is lateral at best. I could see interest in cole but not sure why he’d be on the market

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
When it comes to trade value, yeah Korpisalo should have zero value based on recent results. But is Merzlikins really only a 0.903 goalie? That team doesn't help out their goalies a ton.

I'm of the belief that the majority of goalies in this market are at best a moderate upgrade on Koskinen, who in all honesty is an average 1B goaltender.

If all it takes is a mid-round pick to take Korpisalo with Columbus making the money work, yeah, I'd probably be fine with him the rest of the way just looking at his playoff numbers. It frees us up to flip Koskinen elsewhere to open salary to address other areas.
You could make the argument that Columbus is really failing their goaltenders this year but that doesn’t excuse the rest of his seasons. 4 of last 5 (including this season) below .900 sv%

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
When it comes to trade value, yeah Korpisalo should have zero value based on recent results. But is Merzlikins really only a 0.903 goalie? That team doesn't help out their goalies a ton.

I'm of the belief that the majority of goalies in this market are at best a moderate upgrade on Koskinen, who in all honesty is an average 1B goaltender.

If all it takes is a mid-round pick to take Korpisalo with Columbus making the money work, yeah, I'd probably be fine with him the rest of the way just looking at his playoff numbers. It frees us up to flip Koskinen elsewhere to open salary to address other areas.
I like your reasonable argumentation, but which team are you talking for? Oilers?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

that’s why I made it a three year sample. Korpisalo’s been ass his whole career outside of one playoff run. Merzlikins is a good goalie on a bad team - a good goalie that watched his best friend die this offseason.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Koskinen has had a better sv% than Korpisalo each of the 4 seasons he’s been in the NHL. Only thing Korpisalo has going for him is that he’s younger and cheaper. Either way, Edmonton need to improve its goaltending and that goalie swap is lateral at best. I could see interest in cole but not sure why he’d be on the market
Cole is good, he's not on the market. If Nemo is available, suddenly Cole is on the market. It's a ruthless business.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don't tell anyone but smuggling Niemelainen to Canes was the secret plot in it all along.
I suppose it just figures that one of the very few times we get a proposal on here that's actually pretty reasonable for the Jackets it turns out it's because we're only there as cover for a completely unrelated trade fleecing plot. Guess we're only here for prospect laundering. :shakehead :D

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I suppose it just figures that one of the very few times we get a proposal on here that's actually pretty reasonable for the Jackets it turns out it's because we're only there as cover for a completely unrelated trade fleecing plot. Guess we're only here for prospect laundering. :shakehead :D
You folks need Jar-Jar stopping to be such a hardass.

(As if plenty high profile trades around your affable Jackets haven't happened over the last couple of years)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You folks need Jar-Jar stopping to be such a hardass.

(As if plenty high profile trades around your affable Jackets haven't happened over the last couple of years)
Oh, we've had plenty of trades that have gone very well; it's just that nobody here ever believed the returns we'd get until after they happened. :D

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Reading again, I get your point. Well. Later.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
that’s why I made it a three year sample. Korpisalo’s been ass his whole career outside of one playoff run. Merzlikins is a good goalie on a bad team - a good goalie that watched his best friend die this offseason.
It hasn't been his entire career. He's had sort stretches of really good results. And over the past two seasons he's been particularly bad.

I'm not a fan of using these stats as a gauge of how I believe this goalie will perform in a completely different situation either. I think his trade value is toast, but I wouldn't be any more confident with Varlamov in all honesty. I prefer the younger goalie and I prefer the ability to either re-sign or move on from him at year's end.

Goalies are a complete toss-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad