Proposal: Complicated Koskinen for Korpisalo trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
Korpisalo is a downgrade over Kosk.. no thank you
Nemo .. now i am not interested in trading that tank

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
CAR Ian Cole $2.9m (to 2022 UFA) to EDM
CAR 2nd 2023 to EDM
CAR 3rd 2023 to ARI

EDM Mikko Koskinen $4.5m (to 2022 UFA) to ARI
EDM Markus Niemelainen (to 2022 RFA) $0.8m to CAR
EDM CAR 2nd 2023 to CBJ

ARI Mikko Koskinen 50% $2.3m to CAR

CBJ Joonas Korpisalo $2.8m (to 2022 UFA) to EDM

End results:
CAR: Niemelainen $0.8m, Koskinen $2.3m
EDM: Korpisalo $2.8m, Cole $2.9m
ARI: CAR 3rd 2023, (-$2.3m)
CBJ: CAR 2nd 2023

Canes get Niemelainen who is a gem, and Koskinen is actually a useful backup. Yotes get a pick for using their last retention slot. Jackets get a fair return for Korpisalo. Oilers immediately improve their goaltending at the cost of losing the hilarious hitman for a solid bottom pair vet.

Note, all four contracts end this season, no long term commitments, and that affected the pick valuations.

(If you think those valuations are off, please simply tell what would be correct instead of yelling and cussing. I'm new at this armchair GM stuff.)
Korpisalo is not really an improvement.

He's just as bad with a worst SV% and GAA.

Niemelainen isn't getting traded either. Edmonton is not giving up a bruising defenceman who can stand up and punish zone entries.

d78e2c47b5.jpg

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Any deal that uses up Arizona's last retention slot would have to be a bigger return than what they will get for Kessel with retention otherwise why would they do it?

Reactions: mouser and Stubu

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Why would the Canes trade multiple picks and a depth guy like Cole in this scenario?

Is Niemelainen a blue chip prospect?

Also, they're a contender. They'd be trading futures for win-now guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm coming around on Korpisalo because I truly believe that his stats in the past couple of seasons have completely tanked his trade value. And I don't think either goalie is as poor there as their results have shown. Korpisalo also has some really strong numbers in the playoffs, so it wouldn't really hurt to give his a test run as an impending UFA.

That being said, I don't think it's a trade that really needs to be complicated. Late pick value that slightly improves due to having to take back some salary.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
On the surface this looks ridiculously bad for the Canes but I don't know much about Markus Niemelainen, what can people tell me about him?

He’s a decently mobile 6’6 dman who’s out there looking to murder guys to the point where 13 games into his career, you’re already seeing other teams scouting picking up to avoid going to those areas against him. You’d struggle to find any Oiler fans who would entertain the idea of moving him. He’s still got a ways to go, but he’s looking extremely promising

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He’s a decently mobile 6’6 dman who’s out there looking to murder guys to the point where 13 games into his career, you’re already seeing other teams scouting picking up to avoid going to those areas against him. You’d struggle to find any Oiler fans who would entertain the idea of moving him. He’s still got a ways to go, but he’s looking extremely promising
He's not going anywhere any time soon...nope.

Reactions: spaghtti and Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'm coming around on Korpisalo because I truly believe that his stats in the past couple of seasons have completely tanked his trade value. And I don't think either goalie is as poor there as their results have shown. Korpisalo also has some really strong numbers in the playoffs, so it wouldn't really hurt to give his a test run as an impending UFA.

That being said, I don't think it's a trade that really needs to be complicated. Late pick value that slightly improves due to having to take back some salary.

Don't tell anyone but smuggling Niemelainen to Canes was the secret plot in it all along.

Reactions: Viqsi

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Koskinen last 3 years

48-34-5, .907

Korpisalo last 3 years

34-33-12, .899

Yeah, he's worse.
When it comes to trade value, yeah Korpisalo should have zero value based on recent results. But is Merzlikins really only a 0.903 goalie? That team doesn't help out their goalies a ton.

I'm of the belief that the majority of goalies in this market are at best a moderate upgrade on Koskinen, who in all honesty is an average 1B goaltender.

If all it takes is a mid-round pick to take Korpisalo with Columbus making the money work, yeah, I'd probably be fine with him the rest of the way just looking at his playoff numbers. It frees us up to flip Koskinen elsewhere to open salary to address other areas.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'm not convinced that Korpisalo isn't actually worse than Koskinen. Props for doing all the complicated work on it, but I don't think it makes Edmonton better.
Speaking of complicated... when it comes to goalies, should we call it save percentage or save ratio?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad