Comparing TV scorebugs across the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I’m sitting here looking for an actual bug, Bally needs to fix that abomination of a bug on the bottom. Squash it now

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I'm pretty sure that Ballys' setup is due to their tighter camera angle, and their interest to not have the scorebug block the canopy ads over the first few rows of seats.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The curious thing is the executive at Sinclair who is behind the Bally rollout came from NESN - which explains the ticker love

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rickjaffe/

Compare Bally Detroit with NBC Sports Chicago at the same instant

upload_2021-4-18_2-41-56.png

upload_2021-4-18_2-42-56.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the TSN one is my favourite but they just need to expand the bar a little bit to show shot totals at all times.

Reactions: Vilam

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Now that Bally has introduced their new graphics package I would like to see how fans like or dislike the various score bugs used around the NHL.

NBC family - NBC, NBCSN, NBC Sports Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington and California

Same template used on all NBC outlets.
View attachment 423163

SPORTSNET - Canada, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto regional

Same template for national and regional games
View attachment 423175

TVAS uses the same template in French
View attachment 423196

TSN - Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa. Toronto regional
View attachment 423215
RDS uses the same on Ottawa and Montreal French regionals
View attachment 423217

MSG Network - Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Sabres
View attachment 423197

Bally Sports - Arizona, Detroit, Florida, Midwest, North, Ohio, SoCal, South, Southwest, Sun, West
View attachment 423208

AT&T Sportsnet - Pittsburgh, Vegas
View attachment 423211

Altitude Sports - Colorado
View attachment 423213

NESN - Boston
View attachment 423214

I work behind the scenes on NHL games and free lance graphic operators tell me that NBC and MSG are the best to work with and the now retired FOX was liked as well.

NESN is considered the worst along with AT&T but the latter at least includes logos.

I work as a camera op and this year there is only one video feed coming from each arena and Bally has become a headache for lead cameramen. A friend in Chicago who is the lead camera at the United Center fumes he now has to put masking tape on both the top and bottom of his viewfinder.

I am curious about all of your thoughts as viewers and I will send feedback to people at each network.
You missed ESPN for the Frozen Four, which I consider the best scoreboard of the bunch (they did a great job at posting the shots within a respectable time-frame by also keeping it hidden). Of the ones you listed, SN is by the far and well organised between modern yet sleek.

E: Realised you put it in another post.

Reactions: Fenway

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
ESPN 2 used to have the bottom ticker during nhl games (nationally televised) in the 90s. I'm not bothered by Ballys

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Can't believe Bally's is still what it is. It's not like they are not getting feedback that's for sure.

Everything is wrong about it.

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
Bally is awful. I hate that it takes up so much space on the screen, and hate that it's on the bottom where it covers part of the ice. The ticker is super distracting and annoying - Not only do I not want any of that info, it actively goes out of its way to spoil scores that I want to watch later. But it's designed to keep pulling my eyes to it.

Not listed in the OP, but I really liked the Fox layout that Bally replaced. It was compact, out of the way, and most importantly to me - it frequently showed the shot count in addition to the score.

tvilling

Jan 17, 2021
Now that Bally has introduced their new graphics package I would like to see how fans like or dislike the various score bugs used around the NHL.

NBC family - NBC, NBCSN, NBC Sports Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington and California

Same template used on all NBC outlets.
View attachment 423163

SPORTSNET - Canada, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto regional

Same template for national and regional games
View attachment 423175

TVAS uses the same template in French
View attachment 423196

TSN - Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa. Toronto regional
View attachment 423215
RDS uses the same on Ottawa and Montreal French regionals
View attachment 423217

MSG Network - Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Sabres
View attachment 423197

Bally Sports - Arizona, Detroit, Florida, Midwest, North, Ohio, SoCal, South, Southwest, Sun, West
View attachment 423208

AT&T Sportsnet - Pittsburgh, Vegas
View attachment 423211

Altitude Sports - Colorado
View attachment 423213

NESN - Boston
View attachment 423214

I work behind the scenes on NHL games and free lance graphic operators tell me that NBC and MSG are the best to work with and the now retired FOX was liked as well.

NESN is considered the worst along with AT&T but the latter at least includes logos.

I work as a camera op and this year there is only one video feed coming from each arena and Bally has become a headache for lead cameramen. A friend in Chicago who is the lead camera at the United Center fumes he now has to put masking tape on both the top and bottom of his viewfinder.

I am curious about all of your thoughts as viewers and I will send feedback to people at each network.
Bally needs to die off..... NOW!

no need for a score update ticker in the year 2021

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hate hate hate Bally's score at the bottom!!!

Looks dumb and blocks play at the bottom of screen in neutral zone.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't mind bally. Everyone is used to the score being up in top left or in center, of course people are going to be apprehensive to a change to the bottom.

The new nbc one is legit though, nice and compact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad