Comparing TV scorebugs across the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Now that Bally has introduced their new graphics package I would like to see how fans like or dislike the various score bugs used around the NHL.

NBC family - NBC, NBCSN, NBC Sports Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington and California

Same template used on all NBC outlets.
nbcsn.PNG

SPORTSNET - Canada, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto regional

Same template for national and regional games
sn.PNG

TVAS uses the same template in French
tva.PNG

TSN - Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa. Toronto regional
tsn.PNG

RDS uses the same on Ottawa and Montreal French regionals
rds.PNG

MSG Network - Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Sabres
msg.PNG

Bally Sports - Arizona, Detroit, Florida, Midwest, North, Ohio, SoCal, South, Southwest, Sun, West
bally.PNG

AT&T Sportsnet - Pittsburgh, Vegas
att.PNG

Altitude Sports - Colorado
avs.PNG

NESN - Boston
nesn.PNG

I work behind the scenes on NHL games and free lance graphic operators tell me that NBC and MSG are the best to work with and the now retired FOX was liked as well.

NESN is considered the worst along with AT&T but the latter at least includes logos.

I work as a camera op and this year there is only one video feed coming from each arena and Bally has become a headache for lead cameramen. A friend in Chicago who is the lead camera at the United Center fumes he now has to put masking tape on both the top and bottom of his viewfinder.

I am curious about all of your thoughts as viewers and I will send feedback to people at each network.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Now that Bally has introduced their new graphics package I would like to see how fans like or dislike the various score bugs used around the NHL.

NBC family - NBC, NBCSN, NBC Sports Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington and California

View attachment 423163

View attachment 423175

View attachment 423196

View attachment 423215
View attachment 423217

View attachment 423197

Bally Sports - Arizona, Detroit, Florida, Midwest, North, Ohio, SoCal, South, Southwest, Sun, West
View attachment 423208

View attachment 423211

View attachment 423213

NESN - Boston
View attachment 423214

I work behind the scenes on NHL games and free lance graphic operators tell me that MNC and MSG are the best to work with and the now retired FOX was liked as well.

NESN is considered the worst along with AT&T but the latter at least includes logos.

I work as a camera op and this year there is only one video feed coming from each arena and Bally has become a headache for lead cameramen. A friend in Chicago who is the lead camera at the United Center fumes he now has to put making tape on both the top and bottom of his viewfinder.

I am curious on all of your thoughts as viewers and I will send feedback to people at each network.
Perhaps I'm blind, but I don't see the issue in any of these pics.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don’t mind the NBC ones. They’re usually out of the way and they don’t draw your attention away from the game. I’ve watched one game with the Bally score thing and I really didn’t like it.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Nice work, OP.

Sportsnet is good, and all others beside Bally Sports are acceptable. One of these (Bally) is not like the other, in that the scorebug is on the bottom. That's fine for other sports, but it blocks part of the ice in the neutral zone and slightly beyond, where the puck often is. If you can make one suggestion to Bally, tell them to put it on the top!

Also, Bally should stop running scores of other games. As someone already mentioned, we have this modern thing called the internet if we want to see updated scores. Some folks are DVR-ing games, and absolutely don't want to know the score before they watch it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

View attachment 423163

View attachment 423175

View attachment 423196

View attachment 423215
View attachment 423217

View attachment 423197

View attachment 423208

View attachment 423211

View attachment 423213

NESN - Boston
View attachment 423214

I work behind the scenes on NHL games and free lance graphic operators tell me that MNC and MSG are the best to work with and the now retired FOX was liked as well.

I work as a camera op and this year there is only one video feed coming from each arena and Bally has become a headache for lead cameramen. A friend in Chicago who is the lead camera at the United Center fumes he now has to put making tape on both the top and bottom of his viewfinder.

I am curious on all of your thoughts as viewers and I will send feedback to people at each network.

Cool summary to compare them all
Maybe it's just new but that Bally one looks pretty bad to me (seems bulky/unattractive), I suppose the NESN one isn't great either but at least it's nonintrusive
My favourite is probably the Sportsnet one with the logos/colours and shot counters, and then similarly the NBC/TSN ones are pretty decent as well
Not sure if I've seen that AT&T one but it looks ugly
(Fox was pretty clean too but I guess that's gone now?)

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
All are good IMO except Bally, which has literally everything wrong with it:

1) It's too big,
2) Clock is in not intuitive place in the middle,
3) The bar with the score updates (which is unnecessary as others have mentioned) meshes with the game clock and the box that shows the current score of the current game,

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's funny you made this thread as I tuned into the Hurricanes game last night and I was waiting for them to put the score up - then I looked down at the bottom of the screen.

I guess I like TSN's the best. That's probably because seeing the Sportsnet logo bugs me.

Side note: is that the same Bally as the Exercise/Pinball/Arcade company?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I like the SN one best, but it's probably because I'm used to it.

My only complaint is that sometimes it doesn't show the shot counter for some weird reason. I can't figure out why that happens, but it only seems to happen during HNIC.

Do you have any pics of the differences for when there's a PP?

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

View attachment 423163

View attachment 423175

View attachment 423196

View attachment 423215
View attachment 423217

View attachment 423197

View attachment 423208

View attachment 423211

View attachment 423213

NESN - Boston
View attachment 423214

I prefer the Colorado style. Has the info, doesn’t cover much space. They probably add on for pp, but that’s fine.

Reactions: Tryamw

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Like everyone has said, Sportsnet is the gold standard and Bally is terrible.

Something underrated about Sportsnet is that they have the goal counters next to each other, with the team names on the outside. It's a subtle thing, but clearer at a glance. There's no number sitting between two names. TSN or AT&T use a similar banner, but go team-score team-score.

EDM 2 - 3 CGY <--- better

EDM 2 - CGY 3

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Bally's is an abomination. Literally does everything wrong.

It goes across the entire bottom of the screen, which means it's always blocking some of the ice.

The clock isn't on an end, it's in the middle, so you have to spend an extra split second looking for it.

The text in the bottom right is constantly changing, giving us scores from different games and different leagues.

And worst of all, if they want to feature a stat on something, it pops up out of that teams part of the scoreboard. There was a game recently where they displayed Jordan Staals average shift length or some shit, and it completely covered the player who had the puck at the point.

Absolutely unforgivable.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I hate Bally's ticker for hockey. It's extremely distracting, and totally unnecessary. Haven't really cared much about it for baseball.

That said, I like the ones where the score and clock are close to the middle, in the top. In fact, I'll just rate the six possible places (since they wouldn't put it on the edges but midway between top and bottom, or right in the middle, so I'm throwing those out) subjectively (I watch mostly hockey and baseball):

Top center: pretty good
Top left: almost as good
Top right: I'd actually prefer this of all six, but no one does it that I can recall
Bottom left: not awful
Bottom center: I've only seen it in football, where it's not bad. Would be garbage for hockey
Bottom right: good for baseball, okay for football, awful for hockey

Stealth edit: the worst, I mean the WORST part of the Bally Sports feihua is that gray bar at the bottom of the screen eating up dead space. Seriously?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad