GDT: Columbus @ Nashville | 8 PM EST

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Fine loss. Oh well. I am confused as to why Severson would be on the ice there instead of Provorov. When I saw he was out there I thought “that’s game”. That turned out to be correct. Haha

On the bright side, that was Fantilli’s best game of the season by far, and obviously it’s not even close. It’s nice to be reminded what he’s capable of, because he was pretty awful in a few games and it had me mildly concerned.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Hopefully Evason understands Severson is a trainwreck after this game. He's a giveaway and mistake prone defender and can't be trusted.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fine loss. Oh well. I am confused as to why Severson would be on the ice there instead of Provorov. When I saw he was out there I thought “that’s game”. That turned out to be correct. Haha

On the bright side, that was Fantilli’s best game of the season by far, and obviously it’s not even close. It’s nice to be reminded what he’s capable of, because he was pretty awful in a few games and it had me mildly concerned.
I think its easy to forget how long it was since Fantilli was in game action and his linemates due to injuries aren't the most ideal. Hopefully when Voronkov gets back we get to see him with Fantilli and Chinakhov.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think its easy to forget how long it was since Fantilli was in game action and his linemates due to injuries aren't the most ideal. Hopefully when Voronkov gets back we get to see him with Fantilli and Chinakhov.
Agreed. However, Fantilli was struggling independently as well. He’s had a very difficult time handling and carrying the puck to start the year. Weird that on a night where the puck was pretty bouncy that that issue totally disappeared for him. Hopefully it’s a sign that he’s hitting his groove.

Also, final goal notwithstanding, he is so much better defensively this season. I’m guessing that was a point of emphasis for his offseason, and I’m sure that the Evason system plays a role there as well, but it’s nice to see nonetheless.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Each time im like "Severson might be ok" he has a game like tonight, and I look at his contract and cry, just a little bit.

If not for Tarasov that game was a blowout.
There was effort, but a ton of bad decisions on the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully Evason understands Severson is a trainwreck after this game. He's a giveaway and mistake prone defender and can't be trusted.

I think we're overreacting to a bad game by a player. He is a player who makes very visible mistakes and sometimes very costly mistakes, but if he was that bad overall you'd see it in the numbers. We'd be getting killed with him out there, and overall that's not the case. We're outscoring opponents 10-7 so far with Severson on the ice. His defensive record in his last three years in New Jersey was good. Last year in Columbus it was not, but I expect him to fit well under Evason.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
it was one bad game (from Severson). He’s been pretty good this year.

I wish Evason would have sent out Provorov after Z, Severson was fighting it all game and I’m a fan of playing the hot hand, but those 3 are the D I would play in OT so I can’t get too upset at the order.

We were also supremely out talented up front in OT. It didn’t favor us to go to OT, so be it.

Tarasov played well for the most part but there’s two goals he needs to have. Ended up being the difference. However in saying that he also had a few big time saves, so I’m not upset about it. They evened out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tarasov played well for the most part but there’s two goals he needs to have. Ended up being the difference. However in saying that he also had a few big time saves, so I’m not upset about it. They evened out.

I think his saves still outweighed those goals. This could have been 5 or 6 goal game by Nashville, scoring chance after scoring chance.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think Tarasov played great. Only goal he should’ve saved was the five hole one IMO. The Carrier goal was literally one of the most perfectly placed point shots I’ve ever seen. Holy smokes.

If I were Evason, I’d wonder if Werenski and Provorov could handle half of OT each. Z is such a horse I’m sure it’d be no problem for him. That said, I can’t wait to get Mateychuk up here as I’d play him in OT in a heartbeat.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Tarasov played great. Only goal he should’ve saved was the five hole one IMO. The Carrier goal was literally one of the most perfectly placed point shots I’ve ever seen. Holy smokes.

If I were Evason, I’d wonder if Werenski and Provorov could handle half of OT each. Z is such a horse I’m sure it’d be no problem for him. That said, I can’t wait to get Mateychuk up here as I’d play him in OT in a heartbeat.

I'm with you on the Mateychuk part. And of course Werenski could play every other shift.

But there's no reason to think Severson is incapable of playing 3v3. He's been on for 6 goals for and 4 against over the last 5 years at 3v3. Not bad. He got better results last year than Werenski or Provorov. You can scroll through the player stats here.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm with you on the Mateychuk part. And of course Werenski could play every other shift.

But there's no reason to think Severson is incapable of playing 3v3. He's been on for 6 goals for and 4 against over the last 5 years at 3v3. Not bad. He got better results last year than Werenski or Provorov. You can scroll through the player stats here.
That’s interesting and somewhat surprising to know. I’m not as low on him as others around here. But he’s definitely susceptible to bad games and last night was one of them. And it was noticeable before OT. So I wish that factored into lineup decisions, but it’s the first OT of the year so I can imagine that’s just how it was set up in practice.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Depth? We have minimal depth until some guys prove something. We also need 20+ minute guys who can be out there in all situations

Provorov is playing good, primarily with Werenski, which should be noted. But, is he really a guy who should “be out there in all situations”? We’ve seen plenty of not great hockey played by Provorov with the CBJ.

And who else is covering Severson’s bum ass?

Severson is just as good of a player as Provorov and is as good or a better option on both the PP, PK, and playing top pair with Werenski.

Christiansen is growing into an impactful LD, and Provorov is literally being tasked/given the role that Mateychuk literally should have as we speak. MATEYCHUK IS BETTER THAN PROVOROV.

I don’t think a smaller playmaking middle of the lineup winger (Macceli) should really be the target, nor would I just want the team to acquire a late 1st to just draft another guy, but, a 1st rounder/2 2nd rounders could go a long way in a package to acquire a TRUE top pairing/top line forward, if people don’t have the confidence in the players we have moving forward.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don’t need JJ on the ice any more. He’s cooked.

He and Sillinger both look noticeably slower from the 1st few games.

Watching the Jackets this year is so much more enjoyable regardless of outcome. It’s just so much better hockey.

I could go for some more stationary one timers from outside the circles and floating around the blue line. We’re missing that element of excitement, and elite skill.

Interesting that most of the comments from the players seem to be about all the players “buying into the system”, and not attacks ON the past systems or coaches.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We gotta get Fantilli on track.

He’s gotta slow things down. Nearly everything he does with the puck. His skating/speed with the puck and shooting, especially. He COULD play a game more KJ like.

My motto as a hockey player, and Ive literally taught this to people is, “it doesn’t matter how hard you shoot it, it matters where you put it”. While it’s not good to lack speed/velocity on your shot, I believe accuracy is BY FAR the most important aspect or factor. I believe both Nash and Panarin are great examples of players/goal scorers where this idea is shown. While they could never be considered the best “shooters”, they could be considered the best “goal scorers”, and almost every shot on goal had explicit “intent” to it.

With Fantilli, on a lot of these shots from distance and/or scoring chances down low, it’s almost like he’s lacking significant awareness, and just ripping the puck at the net as hard as possible.

I’m not huge on amateur scouting nowadays, but, from watching some video from his time in the NCAA and now his time with the CBJ, unfortunately it seems like this has always been somewhat of an issue. Overall, he’s still an outstanding player, and his age cannot be forgotten or dismissed, it’s just somewhat concerning as a HIGH pick.

Reactions: tunnelvision

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Chinakhov with some superstar confidence 3 v 3
All game (year) up and down the ice. Set Fantill up over and over. What’s crazy to me is he’s showing excellent “playmaking”/passing ability, and his skating ability is GREAT. Both he and Marchenko are showing AWESOME stuff effort wise and defensively.

Nobody can tell me he’s not the teams best player, other than Werenski.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Severson was dogshit that game and Fantilli has to be aware he has to help after Severson screwed up for the 100th time today
Severson fell, it happens.

Fantilli did NOTHING, didn’t even try to put a stick on JAM. Got a look from Chinakhov after the goal, like WTF.

Hilarious to see Provorov/Severson getting the Chinakhov/Marchenko treatment from a couple years ago. HFCBJ fans loyalty up and down like a toilet seat.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Severson fell, it happens.

Fantilli did NOTHING, didn’t even try to put a stick on JAM. Got a look from Chinakhov after the goal, like WTF.

Hilarious to see Provorov/Severson getting the Chinakhov/Marchenko treatment from a couple years ago. HFCBJ fans loyalty up and down like a toilet seat.

It's embarrassingly bad defending by all 3, no reason to blame just 1 or 2 guys for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad