Proposal: Columbus- Anaheim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hartnell plays the top line LW this year and next.
Ritchie plays the 2nd line LW now and the future.

After that the Ducks have good depth.

While this would work for next season, after these 3 we really have nothing else. All we have right now are Raymond, Garbutt, and Rakell who should be at wing but our team wants him as a center for some reason. If Hartnell falls off or leaves after his contract, we're hosed unless we find someone else.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
so ducks trade their first round pick and a cap dump to take on 3 more years of hartnell's contract and a goalie that they don't really need.

Pass

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Bieksa has NO reason to waive his NMC so he won't. His next contract will be based on the numbers he puts up for the next two years.
Would he rather continue to play for the best defensive team in the league or probably one of the worst in Las Vegas?

If he wants to continue playing for Anaheim, he'll waive his NMC to avoid being bought out. Vegas won't select him, why would they?

After Bernier, the Ducks have nothing. Failed NHL back-ups.

Flipping Jones in this deal gives the Ducks a proven top line PF. They also lose salary in Stoner.

Our starter is one of the best young goalies in the league. Adding young forwards who can step in over the next couple years is more of a concern than the goaltending pipeline. Tokarski and Hackett as our AHL depth is fine with me at the moment.

Hartnell is a solid player, but the age and contract scare me. If the price went beyond a salary dump + 2nd rounder I would pass.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Why would Columbus do this?

They wouldn't.

Scott Hartnell is still a solid hockey player. This would be hilariously stupid for the Jackets. Hartnell still has value as a player, he isn't strictly a cap dump like many apparently think. Not sure why people have this impression. Dude scored 23 goals and almost had 50 points.

That's why.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hartnell is still a solid, useful player who does a lot for the team and has proven himself to be a great mentor for young up-and-comers (of which we have a lot).

By contrast...
  • Stoner is nothing we need.
  • Jones is neat, but we are full to ****ing bursting on quality winger prospects.
  • The fact that Bieksa's name is even getting mentioned in this thread at all is an appalling indictment of just how criminally underrated Hartnell has become of late.
Get out of here with these garbage proposals. In particular, if you want to send us Bieksa, we have a nice shiny David Clarkson all ready for you.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Scott Hartnell
Anton Forsberg

For

Clayton Stoner
Max Jones

Forsberg could be a back-up this year IMO, but will be a solid fall back in case of injury. Hartnell plays on the 1st line with Getzlaf and Perry. Would be a solid clean-up man.

Stoner doesn't add much to Columbus, but he is a solid bottom pairing dman. Injuries happen and he can fill in. Lots of young players on defense, and he's a vet. Plus, a 1st round pick in 2016, in the Hartnell mold.

If you don't like it, thats ok.

Doubt it works cap wise for Anaheim, Stoner makes $3.25 million for 2 more years and Hartnell makes $4.75 million for 3 more years. I agree that Hartnell would fit the mold of what Anaheim could use just doubt that BM has any interest in a aging forward making close to $5 million for the next 3 years is all.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk personally I like the jones pick a lot and would prefer to keep him and see how he turns out

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
After Bernier, the Ducks have nothing. Failed NHL back-ups.

Flipping Jones in this deal gives the Ducks a proven top line PF. They also lose salary in Stoner.

They really don't- this adds $ and term. Stoner 3.25 till 2018 vs. Hartnell 4.75 until 2019

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
What I find funny about this is the trade offers are basically spare parts and Bieksa (no need from CBJ for this guy) for someone the Anaheim fans are putting on their top line.

If he is a top line winger you will have to provide the equivalent of top line winger to get him in trade. If you think he is that good it shouldn't be a problem. If you are trying to steal him for scraps please move along.

Last edited:

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Ducks don't need a backup goalie and won't take on an aging LW. I like Hartnell, but as many have pointed out, he's only coming here for Bieksa (which CLB wouldn't do). We're not good trade partners. Ducks aren't giving up Jones, especially when they were trying to trade up to get him. Just a bad proposal.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What I find funny about this is the trade offers are basically spare parts and Bieksa (no need from CBJ for this guy) for someone the Anaheim fans are putting on their top line.

If he is a top line winger you will have to provide the equivalent of top line winger to get him in trade. If you think he is that good it shouldn't be a problem. If you are trying to steal him for scraps please move along.

Surely you can understand a budget team having concerns about his age/contract. There's a fair amount of risk there from our end and that breeds the hesitation to give up prime assets, even if he is an impact player at the present moment.

That being said, sending back Stoner is a sufficient enough cap dump, Bieksa doesn't need to be involved (nor would I see him waiving his NMC for this scenario).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If a team wants to acquire Hartnell for a fall-off-the-cliff price, they can wait until he actually falls off that cliff.

Either give up assets commensurate with his current production, or wait until after his production has already tanked.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If a team wants to acquire Hartnell for a fall-off-the-cliff price, they can wait until he actually falls off that cliff.

Either give up assets commensurate with his current production, or wait until after his production has already tanked.

And before we get a bunch of grumpy posters telling us "well fine then keep the aging bum and take the risk yourselves for when he's going to fall off a cliff" CBJ politely answers "OK."

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
And before we get a bunch of grumpy posters telling us "well fine then keep the aging bum and take the risk yourselves for when he's going to fall off a cliff" CBJ politely answers "OK."

or "well these threads are all meaningless anyways, its not like the teams will do any of these" posts

mytduxfan*

When Hartnell "falls-off-the-cliff", there won't be a price. He'll be almost-immovable at that point.

Still, I agree with what you're saying. Hartnell is worth more then a cap dump + spare parts. Max Jones isn't just spare parts. However, you guys are totally right in saying "we have no need for such a player and would rather keep Hartnell for his experience and leadership".

Whilst I would love it, any mention of CLB taking on Bieksa is ridiculous. Both teams are looking to offload a few overpaid players. We're not good trading partners in that sense.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
When Hartnell "falls-off-the-cliff", there won't be a price. He'll be almost-immovable at that point.

Still, I agree with what you're saying. Hartnell is worth more then a cap dump + spare parts. Max Jones isn't just spare parts. However, you guys are totally right in saying "we have no need for such a player and would rather keep Hartnell for his experience and leadership".

Whilst I would love it, any mention of CLB taking on Bieksa is ridiculous. Both teams are looking to offload a few overpaid players. We're not good trading partners in that sense.
You're right. Max Jones is an attractive piece and the value isn't off per say.

I was more speaking to people who talk out of both sides of their mouths. On one side they say "Hartnell is going to sharply decline." On the other, they say "you should trade him to us."

If a person believes he is going to sharply decline, they shouldn't want to acquire him. If they want to acquire him, that means they think he isn't going to sharply decline (at least for a while).

Columbus looked into moving him. But they didn't. Either nobody wants him or nobody offered the amount equal to how much Columbus values him.

Personally, I think Hartnell has value. He is a veteran leader who thrives and surrounds himself with young players. That has value, as you recognize. Also, his play has transitioned away from skating. Rather, he is putting himself in good positions. So he has a bit of a buffer before a decreased ability to skate will strongly affect his production.

I think it is smart to move Hartnell at the TDL if Columbus is out of the playoffs. That allows other teams to see if his production is still there, gives Columbus some contract/salary room, and gives Hartnell a chance to play on a contender.

mytduxfan*

You're right. Max Jones is an attractive piece and the value isn't off per say.

I was more speaking to people who talk out of both sides of their mouths. On one side they say "Hartnell is going to sharply decline." On the other, they say "you should trade him to us."

If a person believes he is going to sharply decline, they shouldn't want to acquire him. If they want to acquire him, that means they think he isn't going to sharply decline (at least for a while).

Columbus looked into moving him. But they didn't. Either nobody wants him or nobody offered the amount equal to how much Columbus values him.

Personally, I think Hartnell has value. He is a veteran leader who thrives and surrounds himself with young players. That has value, as you recognize. Also, his play has transitioned away from skating. Rather, he is putting himself in good positions. So he has a bit of a buffer before a decreased ability to skate will strongly affect his production.

I think it is smart to move Hartnell at the TDL if Columbus is out of the playoffs. That allows other teams to see if his production is still there, gives Columbus some contract/salary room, and gives Hartnell a chance to play on a contender.

Hey, I think Hartnell is great and I'd love him in ANA, but the $ just doesn't work for us, unfortunately.

Totally agree with everything else. We get the same crap whenever Fowler's name is mentioned:

"He sucks because this Warrior Chart says so. I'd only offer you [INSERT NAMES OF SCRAP PIECES]."

Then when you say "no" you get:

"You're overvaluing Fowler. He's terrible. No one is going to give you the value you think. This is the best offer you'll get and you have to move someone because you have an internal cap."

Had the exact same **** with Andersen, being consistently told by TOR fans that he wasn't worth a 1st round pick and that the best we'd get is 2nd round pick and we'd have to accept because there was no GT market. Turns out, we were right and they were wrong. The day Andersen was traded to TOR was a great day.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hey, I think Hartnell is great and I'd love him in ANA, but the $ just doesn't work for us, unfortunately.

Totally agree with everything else. We get the same crap whenever Fowler's name is mentioned:

"He sucks because this Warrior Chart says so. I'd only offer you [INSERT NAMES OF SCRAP PIECES]."

Then when you say "no" you get:

"You're overvaluing Fowler. He's terrible. No one is going to give you the value you think. This is the best offer you'll get and you have to move someone because you have an internal cap."

Had the exact same **** with Andersen, being consistently told by TOR fans that he wasn't worth a 1st round pick and that the best we'd get is 2nd round pick and we'd have to accept because there was no GT market. Turns out, we were right and they were wrong. The day Andersen was traded to TOR was a great day.

For the most part you are correct, but I will give credit to a handful of Leafs fans who were pretty spot on with what it would take to get Andersen.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Hartnell is still a solid, useful player who does a lot for the team and has proven himself to be a great mentor for young up-and-comers (of which we have a lot).

By contrast...
  • Stoner is nothing we need.
  • Jones is neat, but we are full to ****ing bursting on quality winger prospects.
  • The fact that Bieksa's name is even getting mentioned in this thread at all is an appalling indictment of just how criminally underrated Hartnell has become of late.
Get out of here with these garbage proposals. In particular, if you want to send us Bieksa, we have a nice shiny David Clarkson all ready for you.

I'd just like to point out that OP is a Wings fan (I believe).
Hartnell, although a nice piece, doesn't fit the Ducks budget. Keeping players they just drafted is huge for them, as a budget team.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'd just like to point out that OP is a Wings fan (I believe).
Hartnell, although a nice piece, doesn't fit the Ducks budget. Keeping players they just drafted is huge for them, as a budget team.

Why in the hell would we want to get rid of Hartnell at this point? You act like your doing us a favor - he is more productive than that, and our young guys need someone in the room with them. We will keep Hartnell thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

You do realize that the person that started this thread isn't a Ducks fan, right? That most of us that are, are pretty lukewarm on picking up someone with his salary and age, since we're a budget team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad