Columbus “gaining traction” to hire Todd McLellan per Bucci

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People talk about guy like Torts living off his early career success

WTF has McClellan done in the last decade+ to justify continued hiring?

Columbus is never going to get things right it seems

McLellan can take a rebuilding Kings team and get them to back to back .600 seasons and people are still like "what has he done???"

I would be tickled pink and purple if he can do that in Columbus.

Good coach, starts out as likeable. Probably because he looks like a koala. Hope y'all like the 131. Also he likes benching the youth unless they're good at skating in circles quickly without scoring.

Why does everyone assume Todd brings the 1-3-1 around with him wherever he goes?

It looks like it makes sense for the Kings roster but I don't see how it would work for Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
McLellan can take a rebuilding Kings team and get them to back to back .600 seasons and people are still like "what has he done???"

I would be tickled pink and purple if he can do that in Columbus.

Why does everyone assume Todd brings the 1-3-1 around with him wherever he goes?

It looks like it makes sense for the Kings roster but I don't see how it would work for Columbus.
Todd was fine for a bit. It was nice to have a decent coach. Then there were a few hiccups. Things got off track. Todd was unable to make adjustments & got himself fired for it instead of making changes.

Also he ran the 131 a few times when the King's were down in some games. Yup, let's sit back while behind. That angered some fans.

The media talks about it non-stop because most of them are in bed before King's games start & it's the only thing they know about the King's.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
People talk about guy like Torts living off his early career success

WTF has McClellan done in the last decade+ to justify continued hiring?

Columbus is never going to get things right it seems

what has he done? uh… I don’t know. made the playoffs in 9 of his 14 full seasons he’s coached.

as a die hard jackets fan, I can speak for our fanbase, we want consistency in making the playoffs every year. we long for it after being mediocre/pretty horrid for most years now. playoffs. playoffs. playoffs. todd has made the playoffs nearly 70 percent of the time he coaches a full season.
keep hating on the guy bud. looks great on you.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Man, we haven't seen an old boys club coach win a cup since...checks notes...22 hours ago! The horror!
And when Florida hired him Jets fans did the same lame "I'm so sorry" "my condolences"
Today's youth has been trained to automatically have a negative response to anything. Especially anything with a hint of rich white guy.
Nucks fans shit on the JR hiring and the Tochett hiring.

He's a good coach who keeps getting work because he's a good coach.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Good coach, starts out as likeable. Probably because he looks like a koala. Hope y'all like the 131. Also he likes benching the youth unless they're good at skating in circles quickly without scoring.

JAD must be avoided at all costs. Todd will play him until he gets himself fired. Strangest thing.
Columbus' whole team is youth, so he'll have to pick his poison lol.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well I certainly don't wish any ill will on Tmac, or the Jackets, he's not a terrible coach, but if/when the Jackets get competitive under him, fans might get frustrated with him pretty quick.

He's a good systems coach in the regular season, but when it comes to making adjustments to take a step further to compete in the playoffs.....he becomes stubborn and frustrating.

It would be an interesting hire for that roster, and I sincerely hope it works out for you guys if that's the path Waddell chooses to take
As of right now, thats an issue most CBJ fans would be OK with. If/when its an issue in the future it can be addressed, but that feels like a long way away given the state of the team. So, competitive is the goal. If McLellan can get us there, then I'm on board.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Not surprising. Teams have been fluctuating in how they hire for front office and coaching positions. Unfortunately the current trend of being averse to hiring coaches without previous NHL head-coaching experience has gone on for a lot longer than it probably should. Eventually someone will hire a really good European coach and they will win a Cup within 2-3 years of their hire and then NHL teams will be looking to poach every decent European coach out there. It's inevitable. Just takes one.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1719396311899.png

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Todd is what he is, the guy you hope solidifies things before you fire him and bring in the coach to take the next step (hopefully). He won't make adjustments, he won't play kids (unless they play a 200 foot style with little to no risk to their game), but he will have a decent level of success (extremely boring hard to enjoy success). I've described him as the Jeff Fisher of the NHL, a "good enough" coach, who will never get you over the hump

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Columbus fans, I think you all know me as an ally. I have O-HI-O connections and I always root for you guys.

Now the contradiction; I am not a sugarcoater, but I have also been working on being more positive.. so here we go

No sugarcoating... I read this when he was hired. This was an Oiler fan asking Shakrs fans about the Koala and it still applies

Trying to be more positive..
He will get your team to the playoffs. You will never win a round, but you will get there.
He does seem like a genuinely good guy who is very stuck to his antiquated principles (read this as sutbborn)
He looks like a koala. so you will have endless opportunities to make koala jokes.

Here is a jumpstart on the koala humor you for guys from Kings, Sharks, and Oilers fans. I am sure you guys will propel the koala humor to the next level

(i'll add more as I find them)

1719507985669.png

1719508004743.png

Hold on to these for 4 or 5 years for when the inevitable for anyu coach happens, also feel free to use it after a losing streak
1719507946796.png

1719508589237.png

These gifts are from the Sharks board

1719508403534.png

1719508450200.png

Attachments

• 1719508418757.png
    1719508418757.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Statto and Viqsi