Columbus “gaining traction” to hire Todd McLellan per Bucci

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
he'll probably drag that team out of the basement by sheer systems alone but he's not gonna get you anywhere special

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think the hire would be really good with Columbus. I like McLellan. I don't really blame him for how the Kings have managed the team.

He gives thoughtful answers and is very sincere. He's talked about the evolution of coaching and how younger players need to hear the "why" instead of "just do it."

His biggest faults is how he doesn't recognize the emotional/mental flows to the game. He rarely used timeouts when the Kings lost momentum, and he struggled to make in-game adjustments.

For a building team, he can be great. Once there are vets for him to lean on heavily though, he'll really lean into them.

Reactions: Telos and CBJx614

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Don't know about day to day and that sort of thing, but I've always found him below average as a game coach.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Almost makes me feel bad for Todd, but he was paid well enough and will land somewhere. He wasn't terrible, and I liked him as a person and mentor to the team. I don't know if he is the one to turn things around in Columbus, but if it didn't work it wouldn't be all his fault :P

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He'll get them to the playoffs... taking the next step would involve another coach
Trent Vogelhuber in Cleveland is increasingly highly regarded over here, and there's some folks thinking that he might be considered a potential future successor.

Bonus fun fact: Hubes was previously known as the Columbus kid picked last overall in the Columbus-hosted 2007 draft by Columbus. He has, shall we say, connections.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
He's had a pretty good track record at getting teams into the playoffs. He hasn't really shown the ability to take the next step with his teams, but where Columbus is at right now in a rebuild, it's probably a solid hire if it happens.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad