Proposal: Colorado - Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
well you are more than welcome to go and figure out how many fans it was but it was a lot more than a handful. up until this playoffs he was soft, not willing to engage and wasnt terrible on the defensive side but had much to improve on.

Mitch Marner contract tops Leafs’ off-season to-do list

It’s been previously reported on Hockey Night in Canada — and confirmed by the Star through a source — that the Leafs and the Marner camp were close to a deal a year ago in the neighbourhood of $8.5 million annually. It’s believed the Leafs backed away because they didn’t want a Marner deal to set a precedent for William Nylander.

oh and by the way. i am all for keeping nylander

oof I stand corrected. If they did in fact back away from an 8.5M offer from Marners camp, that's just brutal. That would've been completely fair value, maybe a slight under payment. Should have got it done.

As for Nylander like I said a few times now, he has completely elevated his game to a new level. I am not talking about the player he was 12 months ago, but as he is today, he is more valuable than Girard. A legit 1st line RW who dominates the game and controls the pace. When Nylander is out there, the game goes through him. Nobody wants him gone right now. What he brings for 6.9M is some of the best value in the league. Girard is having a good year but he's a small PMD on a good deal. Nylander has just gotten that much better.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
oof I stand corrected. If they did in fact back away from an 8.5M offer from Marners camp, that's just brutal. That would've been completely fair value, maybe a slight under payment. Should have got it done.

As for Nylander like I said a few times now, he has completely elevated his game to a new level. I am not talking about the player he was 12 months ago, but as he is today, he is more valuable than Girard. A legit 1st line RW who dominates the game and controls the pace. When Nylander is out there, the game goes through him. Nobody wants him gone right now. What he brings for 6.9M is some of the best value in the league. Girard is having a good year but he's a small PMD on a good deal. Nylander has just gotten that much better.
agreed on nylander. i wouldnt move him at all right now. if anyone is going its Marner.

Reactions: AvroArrow

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’ve always thought Nylander was very underrated on these boards. He is. It’s marner that’s overvalued or was.

but Girard is a great stylistic fit for the Avs. When the Avs are playing their best hockey, Girardo is always one of the players leading that charge. His skating is so sublime. He’s great defensively. He never gets walked wide or down the middle. His defensive stick work is top notch.

he’s a top pair defender for half the NHL.

long term deal, great AAV. Avs need to figure out how to win with him. They’ve won a ton of games with him.

I’d barf my guts out if the Avs traded Girard for Marner. That’s a deal the Avs badly lose due to AAV delta on Marner’s terrible contract. Avs don’t have a cap dump contract to attach to Sam. EJ is playing at like a $4.5mm value AAV. Top 4 role. The Avs can’t move him.

And bender loves JTC. So we don’t have a bad deal to send the other way right now.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
agreed on nylander. i wouldnt move him at all right now. if anyone is going its Marner.
I’ve never seen a realistic Mitch Marner proposal here that made sense for the other team. Marner is pretty close to untradable in the flat cap era where Toronto is trying to win, not rebuild.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I’ve never seen a realistic Mitch Marner proposal here that made sense for the other team. Marner is pretty close to untradable in the flat cap era where Toronto is trying to win, not rebuild.
Understandable. But he has value and if other teams aren’t meeting your demands, there’s no point trading him. Good thing the salary cap is starting to go up now.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Hey look, I'm glad he's "Willy Styles" now, and it definitely doesn't seem like he'll be traded anytime soon, but we both know anyone could dig up threads from when he was struggling. Let's not shit ourselves.

Didn't know my eyes could roll this far into the back of my skull. Ouch!
Yeah, wrong guy to reply to. I am not an Ophthalmologist. Though I don't think your eyes should be rolling randomly like that.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Considering you're a blues fan who has clearly admitted to trolling in a thread not related to your team, I daresay all you really deserve in response are petty insults.

This isn't the high road, dude.
Who said anything about the high road? You daresay? Lol what the f*** are you even talking about? :laugh:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Understandable. But he has value and if other teams aren’t meeting your demands, there’s no point trading him. Good thing the salary cap is starting to go up now.
Is it? Only if going up means very slightly per year over the next three seasons, that’s what going up means.

Toronto will need to learn how to win with their big five contracts. They’ll need to assemble a team around those five. Dubas has locked in this path for several seasons to come. Goaltender and general roster depth will be areas to watch closely. How to get more with less cap space to address these issues.

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
I don't think the value is as bad as a passionate Toronto fan base is saying. I think Nylander is the leafs best contract and he was the best playoff performer sooooo yea...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I think is realistic and likely that not a single NHL team has called Dubas to inquire, “how do I get Marner’s contract off your hands”. Dubas is in no position to make demands here. That’s a huge and tough contract. Unless Toronto is taking back another tough and huge contract the other direction.

But there are very few of those league wide. Does Dubas want to swap Marner for EK in San Jose? Probably not and he shouldn’t. Maybe two unfortunate contracts going to a Toronto that sum to $11mm?

But those are the only type of trades that seems logical or realistic here. A swap of overpaid players.

There are zero NHL teams calling and offering high picks and top prospects to Dubas for Marner’s contract. And given Toronto wants to win now, doesn’t make sense for them either. So take any of those notions off the table.

Any trade would move significant AAV back to Toronto and it won’t be good contacts either.

A Marner trade today would be so hard for Dubas to win. He’d very likely have to accept a rather big L value wise to move that Marner contract.

The reason people target Nylander is because you can see Dubas getting good value for that player and his contract. You can find fair value both ways. Can’t do that with Mitch.

Marner. Much more difficult trade to pull off without losing it badly if you’re Dubas.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Colorado

William Nylander

Toronto

Samuel Girard

1 for 1. Avs get their top 6 F, Leafs get their D. Who says no?

I think Nylander’s value has gotten significantly higher this year. Plus they’re both on equally great contracts. Avs have to add and as an Avs fan I wouldn’t do it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think Nylander’s value has gotten significantly higher this year. Plus they’re both on equally great contracts. Avs have to add and as an Avs fan I wouldn’t do it.
I’m an Avs fan too. But you haven’t been paying attention if you think Nylanders value is up this season. Nylander has been very good for the past three seasons. He’s really good. Has always been very underrated here. Like Sam Girard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad