Proposal: Colorado - Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All the leafs fans saying this is an easy no is the exact reason why the leafs have not accomplished anything in the last 10 years. Failing to properly address their blueline. It doesn't matter if you have MR you can never have enough two way puck moving d men
:laugh: What? o_O

Reactions: banks

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Do you think the fans make the real trades?

And the Leafs recent playoff failures have been because of a lack of scoring from their big name forwards, which this trade would make worse. Or because of disasterous defensive play from their puck moving D men (namely Gardiner), which this trade would make worse.

Your totally wrong across the board.
Bit ironic that he chastised leaf fans for not understanding their problems, while not understand the leafs problems himself lol

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I know OP posts inflammatory threads on purpose, but it is not 2018 any more and we are not looking to trade a core piece for a defenseman. We have TJ Brodie and Jake Muzzin now, this isn't 2018 where we had Hainsey and Zaitsev.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Bit ironic that he chastised leaf fans for not understanding their problems, while not understand the leafs problems himself lol
Don't have to win every game in the playoffs by multiple goals. Also puck moving D generates significant offense

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Leafs fans seem super touchy about Nylander in here - must be a lot of bad proposals for him floating around. I'm remembering a time when all you guys wanted to do was shoot him into the sun, so he must have really turned it on.

Girard is an underrated player as well. I think this proposal is pretty close. Maybe if Willy really has leveled up, this is a little too easy for Colorado, but I dunno. Sammy has also been excellent. 4pts and easily the team's best player last night.
Fans never wanted to trade him, the media did as a means to create content.
Willy styles goes no where

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs fans seem super touchy about Nylander in here - must be a lot of bad proposals for him floating around. I'm remembering a time when all you guys wanted to do was shoot him into the sun, so he must have really turned it on.

Girard is an underrated player as well. I think this proposal is pretty close. Maybe if Willy really has leveled up, this is a little too easy for Colorado, but I dunno. Sammy has also been excellent. 4pts and easily the team's best player last night.
You don't remember that at all. You may remember that some Maple Leaf fans wanted him traded.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Don't have to win every game in the playoffs by multiple goals. Also puck moving D generates significant offense
Good thing the leafs have 3 of those. They literally have rielly, sandin and liljegren who are all of the same mould. It’s really evident you don’t watch the leafs and are just parroting the talking point from years past here. They haven’t been weak defensively in a couple years. Even if they were, a puck moving D isn’t what they’d be looking to upgrade on.

Try again.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
All the leafs fans saying this is an easy no is the exact reason why the leafs have not accomplished anything in the last 10 years. Failing to properly address their blueline. It doesn't matter if you have MR you can never have enough two way puck moving d men
Girard is the exact kind of D Man the leafs need to stay away from. They dont need someone in their top 4 to get dominated in a playoff series .

Reactions: Marner4Life

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Fans never wanted to trade him, the media did as a means to create content.
Willy styles goes no where
Hey look, I'm glad he's "Willy Styles" now, and it definitely doesn't seem like he'll be traded anytime soon, but we both know anyone could dig up threads from when he was struggling. Let's not shit ourselves.

You don't remember that at all. You may remember that some Maple Leaf fans wanted him traded.
Didn't know my eyes could roll this far into the back of my skull. Ouch!

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I like Girard, but with Rielly and Muzzin locked up to term?

And Nylander would be great on Colorado, he'd toast the weaker match ups he'd get playing behind MacKinnon-Rantanen.

I hate beating the old 'no, take Marner instead!' drum, but if Nylander was being traded the type of D coming back should be a Parayko or an Ekblad type.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

You're not remembering anything because that never happened. Leaf fans wanted to shoot Marner into the sun when he turned down 10M and then bent over Dubas and with his playoff failures. Nylander has been a fan favorite since he was drafted and he is easily our best forward so far this year on an absolute steal of a contract. He's about 2M underpaid, that cap hit absolutely sky rockets his value.

Willy has more than leveled up, with time zones it's hard to watch every team but since the last 20 ish games last season, + last playoffs and now this year, he's on a completely new level. Not just numbers, the eye test. He dominates the game whenever he's on the ice and controls the flow. Legitimately been our best player not named Campbell so far. And that's with both Tavares and Marner playing at a very high level.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
But seriously, don't mind me. I'm just having a little fun because an avs fan in another thread is insisting Girard is a top 20 dman because advanced stats without proper context. And when I pointed to some important context underlying Girard's high CF% and xGF%, specifically the rest of the team around him, this other poster flipped out and went straight to the petty insults

Considering you're a blues fan who has clearly admitted to trolling in a thread not related to your team, I daresay all you really deserve in response are petty insults.

This isn't the high road, dude.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You're not remembering anything because that never happened. Leaf fans wanted to shoot Marner into the sun when he turned down 10M and then bent over Dubas and with his playoff failures. Nylander has been a fan favorite since he was drafted and he is easily our best forward so far this year on an absolute steal of a contract. He's about 2M underpaid, that cap hit absolutely sky rockets his value.

Willy has more than leveled up, with time zones it's hard to watch every team but since the last 20 ish games last season, + last playoffs and now this year, he's on a completely new level. Not just numbers, the eye test. He dominates the game whenever he's on the ice and controls the flow. Legitimately been our best player not named Campbell so far. And that's with both Tavares and Marner playing at a very high level.
Call a spade a spade. Up until last years playoffs Nylander was soft in the playoffs. It’s great that he had a good year last year but there were countless fans that wanted him gone. Mostly do to his lack of physicality come playoff time.
And I am remembering correctly. Marner wanted to sign for 8.5 million a year, the year before he signed his contract.

Reactions: nightonthesun

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Call a spade a spade. Up until last years playoffs Nylander was soft in the playoffs. It’s great that he had a good year last year but there were countless fans that wanted him gone. Mostly do to his lack of physicality come playoff time.
And I am remembering correctly. Marner wanted to sign for 8.5 million a year, the year before he signed his contract.

Incorrect. Majority of our fans did not want him gone. There was proposals for both Nylander and Marner for a D man, because of excess wingers and not enough D, not because people were upset with him and wanted him shipped out. Almost everyone wanted Marner gone because of his contract and how he handled the negotiation.

Marner did not want to sign for 8.5M, he refused to even negotiate a contract until Tavares was signed. Mainly because of Paul Marner wanting to cash out. The leafs offered him 10M and he turned it down and the fan base went ape shit. He wasn't trying to sign until his ELC was expired.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Incorrect. Majority of our fans did not want him gone. There was proposals for both Nylander and Marner for a D man, because of excess wingers and not enough D, not because people were upset with him and wanted him shipped out. Almost everyone wanted Marner gone because of his contract and how he handled the negotiation.

Marner did not want to sign for 8.5M, he refused to even negotiate a contract until Tavares was signed. Mainly because of Paul Marner wanting to cash out. The leafs offered him 10M and he turned it down and the fan base went ape shit. He wasn't trying to sign until his ELC was expired.
I’m not incorrect on either.

You should go back and read some of the posts on here about Nylander.

It was also reported that the Marner camp offered an 8.5 million deal but Toronto wanted to wait. Which screwed them.

Reactions: nightonthesun

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Either side who says this isn't a good opening for value discussion is probably overvaluing their player.

Fit is bad for both though.
Leafs have their left side PMDs, and Avalanche should be looking at a more established center before bringing in another wing.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I’m not incorrect on either.

You should go back and read some of the posts on here about Nylander.

It was also reported that the Marner camp offered an 8.5 million deal but Toronto wanted to wait. Which screwed them.

A handful of posts about Nylander aren't indicative of what majority of the fan base thought. I'm sure there was a couple people wanting him out like with pretty much every player in the league.

I saw no such report from Marners camp whatsoever, any link ?

Regardless Nylander is an elite talent and a legitimate top line winger and he's been dominant for about 30 game stretch now, it's not just a couple good games here or there. He brings it every night. He's not being moved, his contract is one of the best in the league given what he provides.

Jun 27, 2005
You can disagree with the OP without making a ridiculous comparison.

The OP is swapping a top line winger for a top 4 defenseman. Your response is swapping a top line winger for a bottom pairing defender with less than 30 NHL games under his belt.

The better comparison is probably Rantanen for Rielly and then the next step is
Rantanen and Girard for Nylander and Rielly which is really close in cap and contract lengths as well.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Either side who says this isn't a good opening for value discussion is probably overvaluing their player.

Fit is bad for both though.
Leafs have their left side PMDs, and Avalanche should be looking at a more established center before bringing in another wing.

Leaf fans are passionate and can be a little too emotional.

I agree they want players gone after miscues which is harder for the player on this team. However, a deal with between the Leafs and AVs doesn't seem possible. Players available for trade doesn't meet needs for the other team.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
A handful of posts about Nylander aren't indicative of what majority of the fan base thought. I'm sure there was a couple people wanting him out like with pretty much every player in the league.

I saw no such report from Marners camp whatsoever, any link ?

Regardless Nylander is an elite talent and a legitimate top line winger and he's been dominant for about 30 game stretch now, it's not just a couple good games here or there. He brings it every night. He's not being moved, his contract is one of the best in the league given what he provides.
well you are more than welcome to go and figure out how many fans it was but it was a lot more than a handful. up until this playoffs he was soft, not willing to engage and wasnt terrible on the defensive side but had much to improve on.

Mitch Marner contract tops Leafs’ off-season to-do list

It’s been previously reported on Hockey Night in Canada — and confirmed by the Star through a source — that the Leafs and the Marner camp were close to a deal a year ago in the neighbourhood of $8.5 million annually. It’s believed the Leafs backed away because they didn’t want a Marner deal to set a precedent for William Nylander.

oh and by the way. i am all for keeping nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad