News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it's pointless complaining about Rycroft and Moser. That's clearly what Altitude is looking for with their broadcasters. Anyone they hire will always be sunshine, rainbows and will be drinking the Avalanche colored Koolaid.
But again, Rycroft got to where he was because he did the exact opposite. Either the guy who runs Altitude is an idiot and doesn't realize that, or someone on the Avs side of things told him to tone it down if he was the next color commentator.

There's also a third possibility. Altitude or Ryker or a combination of the two might be trying their best to keep the same style that Peter McNab had when he was in the chair, but IMO that's a terrible idea if there's any truth to that notion.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Moser's great, stop being so miserable. All of you.
giphy.gif

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
But again, Rycroft got to where he was because he did the exact opposite. Either the guy who runs Altitude is an idiot and doesn't realize that, or someone on the Avs side of things told him to tone it down if he was the next color commentator.

There's also a third possibility. Altitude or Ryker or a combination of the two might be trying their best to keep the same style that Peter McNab had when he was in the chair, but IMO that's a terrible idea if there's any truth to that notion.
I think that's exactly what happened. They want their commentators to be homers, and have the analyst, analyse the plays.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I liked Moser after getting completely burned out on Haynes. Sure didn't take long for Moser to wear out his welcome with me. I like his voice okay, but the dude just doesn't realize that not everything is at 11. When you're constantly trying to make the dumbest shit sound like it was the greatest play in all of time, there's just nowhere left to go when a player legitimately does something spectacular.

As others have said, his choice of euphemisms and sayings leave a lot to be desired and are used in way too much overabundance. The Moser Bingo Game was legit fun the first dozen times I played. Then it became depressing.

The whole thing has been shit since Pete passed. He was the glue that kept it all together and the only professional amongst them.

Reactions: Gumballhead

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I’m looking forward to seeing if the Avs get back on tv. If not they walking the plank

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
There are worst analysts out there but hard to think of worse announcers especially since Edwards is done. There's one thing about favoring their team, every announcer does it a bit. But going off like your third liner is destined to the HOF for scoring while acting like your wife told you she's leaving you when the other team scores a regular season OT winner is just way too much.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Don’t see why Moser is so bothersome. They don’t have to be like everyone else. Of the 31 other pbp announcers, there’s a handful that most would probably consider good. Then you have the other 26 or whatever that range from blasé to bad. Don’t see why Moser is so terrible when the alternative is cookie cutter and most likely blasé to bad.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Don’t see why Moser is so bothersome. They don’t have to be like everyone else. Of the 31 other pbp announcers, there’s a handful that most would probably consider good. Then you have the other 26 or whatever that range from blasé to bad. Don’t see why Moser is so terrible when the alternative is cookie cutter and most likely blasé to bad.
I don’t need him to be like someone else. I need him to just not suck ass at his job.

Reactions: Gumballhead

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What's funny is that no matter how bad you may think Moser is (and I'm not calling him great by any means), he'll never be Altitude's worst PXP guy.
Does radio count? Because McGahey is terrible too

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Haynes > Moser forever. Haynes went hilariously quiet when the opposition scored but his story time with McNabb was better, his goals calls were better, and he didn't whine anywhere near as much.
I don't know. I think absence makes the heart grow fonder in this case. Haynes had really worn out his welcome in my book. It was his squeeling like a school girl that did it for me.

I mean it's all subjective and everybody has a style they prefer. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...Find a way to clone Gary Thorne and Bill Clement from the late 90s. That was the pinnacle in my, probably wrong and not very humble, opinion.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Does radio count? Because McGahey is terrible too
I'll respectfully disagree. While he leans on the catchphrases way too much for my liking, I think Conor is quite good. Wish they'd give him a full time partner though.

And no, Altitude's first PxP guy, Doug McLeod, is by far their worst-ever. They somehow managed to find the one person on the planet who pissed off the otherwise-amiable Peter McNab. I still can't really watch Mystery, Alaska, because the mere sound of that guy's voice sends me into a rage.

And I know I'm in the minority but I did not care of Haynes on TV at all. Radio, yes, not TV.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'll respectfully disagree. While he leans on the catchphrases way too much for my liking, I think Conor is quite good.
He's really bad at his job which is describing the game for people who can't watch it. More than half the time you have to guess in which zone the puck is and who has possession because he's not telling you. Garbage.

Also when the other team scores you're left in shock because you didn't even know that there was a scoring chance against the Avs. He has the same tone when the other team is passing the puck in their own zone and when they are peppering the Avs net with dangerous attacks.

I grew up listening hockey games on the radio and I never heard someone as bad at describing the play as McGahey. It's like he thinks we can see what's happening so he doesn't have to tell us.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Everybody always hated Haynes for the same reasons they hate Moser.

McGahey is terrible and his horrible catchphrases would actively make me want us to never score a goal again. And I'd need to stop listening before the end of the game so I didn't ever have to hear YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO HOME BUT YOU CAN'T STAY HERE delivered every time as if it's the first time he's said it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Haynes was never as bad as Moser. It was noticeable right away that there was a drop off in quality. Once Rycroft took over (RIP Maxy), it brought out even more of the poor tendencies that Moser has. He's clearly bottom 5 and likely the worst PBP in the league. He's really bad. He doesn't keep up with the play. Has terrible catchphrases like scissor/pitchfork/etc. Whenever an opposing goalie makes a routine save, he simply can't believe it. The homerism is cranked to 11. It is just really bad. Now Altitude isn't in the financial spot to really make an investment here, but getting rid of Moser would help their quality.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Haynes was never as bad as Moser. It was noticeable right away that there was a drop off in quality. Once Rycroft took over (RIP Maxy), it brought out even more of the poor tendencies that Moser has. He's clearly bottom 5 and likely the worst PBP in the league. He's really bad. He doesn't keep up with the play. Has terrible catchphrases like scissor/pitchfork/etc. Whenever an opposing goalie makes a routine save, he simply can't believe it. The homerism is cranked to 11. It is just really bad. Now Altitude isn't in the financial spot to really make an investment here, but getting rid of Moser would help their quality.
See if Cogs wants to get into the booth this season while he's figuring out what part of hockey he wants to continue with (management or coaching). He's an extremely intelligent guy, I just don't know if he has the chops for TV work but at this point, I'd take a reshuffling of the deck chairs.

[edit...I know he's more into coaching and his kids' life isn't turning out the way he had hoped, but I really liked Adam Foote when he helped out shortly after Pete's death (f*** cancer). He added a bit of gravitas that is severely lacking from Altitude otherwise. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like that either. They don't need to get all freaking hardcore, but a little more maturity wouldn't hurt the crew.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
See if Cogs wants to get into the booth this season while he's figuring out what part of hockey he wants to continue with (management or coaching). He's an extremely intelligent guy, I just don't know if he has the chops for TV work but at this point, I'd take a reshuffling of the deck chairs.

[edit...I know he's more into coaching and his kids' life isn't turning out the way he had hoped, but I really liked Adam Foote when he helped out shortly after Pete's death (f*** cancer). He added a bit of gravitas that is severely lacking from Altitude otherwise. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like that either. They don't need to get all freaking hardcore, but a little more maturity wouldn't hurt the crew.

What?

He's really bad at his job which is describing the game for people who can't watch it. More than half the time you have to guess in which zone the puck is and who has possession because he's not telling you. Garbage.

Also when the other team scores you're left in shock because you didn't even know that there was a scoring chance against the Avs. He has the same tone when the other team is passing the puck in their own zone and when they are peppering the Avs net with dangerous attacks.

I grew up listening hockey games on the radio and I never heard someone as bad at describing the play as McGahey. It's like he thinks we can see what's happening so he doesn't have to tell us.

To each their own I guess. I have zero issue following the play whenever McGahey calls it. And there are a lot of times now, thanks to fatherhood, where I can't watch on TV anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad