News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Katie really knew her stuff. She actually really understood the sport, which is not an easy thing to come by in the hockey broadcast business. I have a feeling they're going to go out looking for a bargain basement replacement and they'll realize it's a harder task than they thought.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Katie really knew her stuff. She actually really understood the sport, which is not an easy thing to come by in the hockey broadcast business. I have a feeling they're going to go out looking for a bargain basement replacement and they'll realize it's a harder task than they thought.
New girl is gonna be like, "I got the chance during the commercial break to talk to Nathan MacKinnon and asked him how hard it is to tie those skates! He told me about this swoop the loop and pull method and it really blew my mind! Back to you Bark Moeslur!"

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Katie Gaus was legitimately an excellent reporter and broadcaster. She knew more about hockey than Keefe or Moser. What a dumb move by the Avs. Yes, the Avs. KSE/Avs/Altitude are all one and the same.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am surprised by how many of you actually want to watch Altitude. At this point, at least 90% of the other NHL regional broadcasts are better than Altitude. Keefe, Moser, and Co. are not only full-pledge homers, but they also suck at their job. The only games that truly matter are playoff games, which are the majority on national broadcasts anyway.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
She makes it sound like she's leaving Colorado altogether:

Eh, good point, I hadn't picked up on that.

What bothers me most about this is that Katie set down roots and was active in the community, by all accounts far more than her predecessors. She didn't appear to be eyeing a new job elsewhere, so this just looks extremely dumb on Altitude's part.

Who knows, maybe Rachel's finally getting promoted.

It'll be a good day when Altitude folds and the Nuggets and Avs sell off their local rights.
Starting to think that's the way to go here. What sucks is that we had to put up with all of Altitude's growing pains only for them to secure the TV/radio rights at a time when cable went out the window. I used to think Comcast was the villain here (and in some ways they still are) but it's Altitude holding up progress. Plus I just don't think the guys in charge know what the hell they're doing.

That said, I still prefer Altitude much, much more than ESPN's shitshow.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
My fear if Altitude goes away is that we have staff for the Avs' games that will mostly talked about the other teams and give us very little Avs content. At least we have that we the current broadcasts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Starting to think that's the way to go here. What sucks is that we had to put up with all of Altitude's growing pains only for them to secure the TV/radio rights at a time when cable went out the window. I used to think Comcast was the villain here (and in some ways they still are) but it's Altitude holding up progress. Plus I just don't think the guys in charge know what the hell they're doing.

That said, I still prefer Altitude much, much more than ESPN's shitshow.

I don't blame Comcast much... it is a business and the trends really follow their offer. Altitude just has an inflated worth and ask. Now it might be the number that makes them financially viable, but the value just isn't super high. Smaller market that has a lot of ebb and flow with the teams winning and losing.

My fear if Altitude goes away is that we have staff for the Avs' games that will mostly talked about the other teams and give us very little Avs content. At least we have that we the current broadcasts.

I'd image that any rights transfer will have a local staff still attached. NHL isn't trying to go full MLB... yet.

Also IMO... Any content beyond the games isn't really worth anything. If it is, it could be uploaded to the Avs' site or YouTube.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I don't blame Comcast much... it is a business and the trends really follow their offer. Altitude just has an inflated worth and ask. Now it might be the number that makes them financially viable, but the value just isn't super high. Smaller market that has a lot of ebb and flow with the teams winning and losing.

I'd image that any rights transfer will have a local staff still attached. NHL isn't trying to go full MLB... yet.

Also IMO... Any content beyond the games isn't really worth anything. If it is, it could be uploaded to the Avs' site or YouTube.

Comcast isn't blameless, but they aren't the primary problem either. Altitude liked to paint Comcast as some 800 lb broadcast gorilla but that simply isn't true any more. Comcast is hemorrhaging cable subscribers to streamers/cord cutters and frankly doesn't work very hard to retain them any more. It's more focused on its mobile network/TV/movie production business.

If you think Comcast is interested paying for new channels with limited regional appeal (like Altitude) . . . its not gonna happen. I've noticed that the Altitude radio guys are no longer slagging Comcast on the blackout thing - they know that argument no longer holds.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Comcast isn't blameless, but they aren't the primary problem issue. Altitude liked to paint Comcast as some 800 lb broadcast gorilla but that simply isn't true any more. Comcast is hemorrhaging cable subscribers to streamers/cord cutters and frankly doesn't work very hard to retain them any more. It's more focused on its mobile network/TV/movie production business.

If you think Comcast is interested paying for new channels with limited regional appeal (like Altitude) . . . its not gonna happen. I've noticed that the Altitude radio guys are no longer slagging Comcast on the blackout thing - they know that argument no longer holds.

I didn't say they were blameless... just that their reasons are purely business. They are in a stagnant (I'd argue dying) industry and as a business they are obligated to their shareholders to operate as a business. In that, these decisions happen. The market isn't there to justify Altitude at the prices Altitude wants (and tier). And yeah... I think people saw through the KSE nonsense that was being spewed.

IMO KSE could buy a lot of goodwill by folding Altitude and selling the rights to Scripps for over the air broadcast. Follow in the footsteps of Vegas, Utah, and Florida. Go over the air, produce the content, and get a cut of the ad revenue (which Vegas has made a killing on so far).

Reactions: AvBuff

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I didn't say they were blameless... just that their reasons are purely business. They are in a stagnant (I'd argue dying) industry and as a business they are obligated to their shareholders to operate as a business. In that, these decisions happen. The market isn't there to justify Altitude at the prices Altitude wants (and tier). And yeah... I think people saw through the KSE nonsense that was being spewed.

IMO KSE could buy a lot of goodwill by folding Altitude and selling the rights to Scripps for over the air broadcast. Follow in the footsteps of Vegas, Utah, and Florida. Go over the air, produce the content, and get a cut of the ad revenue (which Vegas has made a killing on so far).

I'm sure Kroenke's pride is driving a lot of this -he doesn't want to admit that his "hey, I'll own my own RSN and make a killing" model doesn't work.

But I think your idea is a good one and is what needs to happen. Maybe Katie Gaus got lucky . . .

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
New 32 Thoughts out today, no Marek.
I was kinda surprised EF didn't even mention him. Not that there is any ill will between them I think, EF made a tribute post to Marek after he officially announced he's out from Sportsnet. Wonder if SN told EF that no mention of Marek?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was kinda surprised EF didn't even mention him. Not that there is any ill will between them I think, EF made a tribute post to Marek after he officially announced he's out from Sportsnet. Wonder if SN told EF that no mention of Marek?
I imagine his employers specifically instructed him to stay quiet on that front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad